PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Optimization Help with Dwarven Fighter

TheBetterMan
2013-07-30, 02:19 PM
I'm going to be starting a 3.5E D&D game soon and would appreciate some help with a build. I have an idea for what I want the character to do, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it or the optimal order in which to take feats.

What I'd basically like to do is have a Dwarf Fighter dual wielding Dwarven Waraxes with a focus on AoOs and possibly Trip. The character would start at level 1, likely wielding a shield offhand until TWF is feasible. Any feats from supplemental books are possible. I would like to keep the character full Fighter, unless there is significant bonuses from multi-classing.

I know I'll need TWF and Imp TWF, as well as Oversized TWF. I would also take Double Hit, which would require Combat Reflexes, and possibly Side Step, which would require Dodge and Mobility. Since I would already have Dodge and Mobility I might also take Elusive Target.

Added to this I would want to eventually get Imp Trip and Combat Expertise. And of course Weapon Focus/Spec, etc whenever possible.

That's as far as I've gotten in the development of the character, and I would appreciate any advice on the concept, as well as when to take certain feats. I'm wondering, specifically, if this build would spread my stats too thin, since I would need an Int of 13 and a Dex of at least 17.

I'm building the character more for the concept than power, but having said that I don't want him to be useless in a fight. The feats seem to mesh well, however, and would seem to allow for a lot of movement and AoOs in combat, as well as multiple trips.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-30, 02:32 PM
Ok, just going to come out and say this - This build will suffer and have a hard time being useful.

Now, lets go though and see about what we can do.

I am going to suggest Warblade rather than fighter, and going into tiger claw maneuvers, but you are unlikely to do this due to it being TOB.

Then I suggest Two handed fighting. If you must TWF, THF and TWF with a great ax and armor spikes. You get 1.5 str to damage on your main attack.

Now, oversized two weapon fighting is not a good feat. It just adds +2 to one attack. Better to go weapon focus and get +1 to all attacks (and even then, it isn't good)

Dwarf Paragon is actually good.

I am going to recomend the following -

Fighter 2 / Whirling Frenzy pounce Barbarian 2 / Martial Rogue 2 / Dwarf Paragon 3

Start with a 20 Con and con > str > dex > else.

Whirling frenzy will add +4 dex so TWFing can be taken with a low dex to activate during a frenzy. Use light armor and armor spikes. You have evasion.

Sink all your normal feats into roll with it. You get stacking DR that adds up quite a bit. You have enough con to tank hits as well.

Use your fighter feats for TWF, Power attack, and anything else you want.

Medic!
2013-07-30, 02:40 PM
You can mitigate some of the Dex requirement and save a feat by getting Gloves of the Balanced Hand from the MIC (would grant improved twf if you already have twf).

What level are you expecting this character to top out at? At higher levels you can use a few feats to pick up some martial maneuvers and stances that could help a ton (looking at you, Thicket of Blades), as well as feats like Defensive Sweep (pairs nicely with Thicket of Blades...move and provoke, don't move and provoke, have a nice day!)

A few other feats to consider would be Karmic Strike (CWar) and Robilar's Gambit (PHB2).

If you're going to go down the Dodge/Mobility side of life, I would also take a good hard look at PrCing into Dervish for the added mobility and bonuses with slashing weapons. You might even be able to convince your DM to make Slashing Blades apply to a weapon of your choice instead of scimitars, freeing up the oversized twf feat for you.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-30, 02:45 PM
... And of course Weapon Focus/Spec, etc whenever possible.

You mention this almost as an afterthought, but I want to make sure you understand that it is absolutely essential. I currently play one of two TWF characters in my current game and the other one is currently trying to catch up a bit due to not focusing on damage-adders enough. When you start to run into creatures with Damage Reduction, that DR is going to be spread around through all of your attacks, whereas the Two-Handed Power attacker will be putting their extra damage into one swing and only suffering the effects of DR once.

If you take weapon specialization, greater weapon specialization, melee weapon mastery and knowledge devotion for example, you will still deal less damage per hit than a Two-Handed character, but at least you will have some get through most of the time.

Diarmuid
2013-07-30, 03:05 PM
Another note: Dwarven Waraxes do not allow for making trips with them.

Tripping with a Weapon: Some weapons can be used to make trip attacks. In this case, you make a melee touch attack with the weapon instead of an unarmed melee touch attack, and you don't provoke an attack of opportunity.
If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the weapon to avoid being tripped.

Weapons like Guisarme and Whip specify that they can be used to make Trip attacks, there is no such verbiage with the Dwarven Waraxe.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-30, 03:16 PM
Another note: Dwarven Waraxes do not allow for making trips with them. Weapons like Guisarme and Whip specify that they can be used to make Trip attacks, there is no such verbiage with the Dwarven Waraxe.
Which is generally irrelevant once you take Improved Trip. The major downside to tripping with your body instead of a weapon is the attack of opportunity you provoke. The feat however eliminates this downside if you don't use a tripping weapon. However, keep in mind that if you fail now you can't just drop the tripping weapon to avoid being tripped in return.

Diarmuid
2013-07-30, 03:22 PM
Many people just seem to assume that they can trip with any weapon, and those that do remember many times forget to remove any bonii from magic, feats (focus, finesse, etc) that they have wiith a given weapon when calculating their attack roll for trip attempt.

Just words for the wise