PDA

View Full Version : Goliath

D20ragon
2013-07-30, 02:42 PM
At first level,a Goliath fighter with a 20 strength can take monkey grip( complete warrior),to use a huge greatsword (4d6+5 for strength),at a +5 attack bonus.
This seems a bit excessive.
Any thoughts?

Malimar
2013-07-30, 02:42 PM
I don't think Monkey Grip and Powerful Build stack.

Rebel7284
2013-07-30, 02:47 PM
A fighter cannot. Powerful build and Monkey Grip don't stack.

A barbarian with Mountain Rage may be able to do it though (once a day).

It's certainly nice for effectively a level 2 character, but quickly becomes outclassed by casters regardless.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-30, 02:49 PM
At first level,a Goliath fighter with a 20 strength can take monkey grip( complete warrior),to use a huge greatsword (4d6+5 for strength),at a +5 attack bonus.
This seems a bit excessive.
Any thoughts?

First it should be noted that the rules don't allow an ECL 1 Goliath anything. He would be an ECL 2 character as a Goliath level 1.

I have a player who currently plays a huge greatsword wielding Goliath. He has a strength of 26 when raging and at level 1 did 4d6+12 damage in melee. He spent a lot of time covered in grease, webs, poison, getting hit by arrows shot from ramparts, etc. Being super good at melee hardly breaks the game, since so many other abilities are better.

pres_man
2013-07-30, 03:38 PM
I don't think Monkey Grip and Powerful Build stack.

This is correct. Both allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than you. Thus if you are medium (which a goliath is), both allow you to wield large sized weapons.

danzibr
2013-07-30, 04:30 PM
First it should be noted that the rules don't allow an ECL 1 Goliath anything. He would be an ECL 2 character as a Goliath level 1.

I have a player who currently plays a huge greatsword wielding Goliath. He has a strength of 26 when raging and at level 1 did 4d6+12 damage in melee. He spent a lot of time covered in grease, webs, poison, getting hit by arrows shot from ramparts, etc. Being super good at melee hardly breaks the game, since so many other abilities are better.
Poor guy :(

Tvtyrant
2013-07-30, 04:44 PM
Poor guy :(

I let him have his moments. He got to kill a Huge Shark in a 1v1 at level 2, at level 3 he Dungeoncrashed a troll through a tree and off of a cliff. He just has to live with not being the center of attention constantly.

I do feel sorry for our Drow Duskblade. He drops to 2 health in every single encounter. Last time he got caught in a web that then set on fire and ignited a forest fire.

pres_man
2013-07-30, 05:01 PM
I do feel sorry for our Drow Duskblade. He drops to 2 health in every single encounter. Last time he got caught in a web that then set on fire and ignited a forest fire.

What I do as a DM for my players with races with LA, is I give them the equivalent of a commoner level (1d4 HD, 2+Int skills, poor saves, no class features) for each LA. It helps make them a little tougher, they get some extra hp especially if they have a Con bonus, and it also makes character level = HD.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-30, 05:06 PM
What I do as a DM for my players with races with LA, is I give them the equivalent of a commoner level (1d4 HD, 2+Int skills, poor saves, no class features) for each LA. It helps make them a little tougher, they get some extra hp especially if they have a Con bonus, and it also makes character level = HD.

Oh I waved LA for him. Drows aren't nearly good enough for LA +2. I do like your system, I will probably use it in the future. He just ends up bearing the brunt of the enemies attacks because his Initiative is really high and he runs into range before the others.

Galvin
2013-07-30, 06:46 PM
As stated numerous times above, Monkey grip allows the use of weapons one size category larger than you since goliaths are medium-sized, then they could use large sized weapons. Powerful build allows you to use weapons as if you were one size category large than you, and again that is large sized, thus, due to the wording of the monkey grip feat, one could not stack these two to wield huge sized weapons. But even if it could, it would not be gamebreaking, a caster could just neutralize him with a grease spell, melee characters cannot really break the game the same way casters can.