PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom's of Kalamar.

kulosle
2013-07-30, 02:57 PM
My local hobby shop has a book called players guide kingdom's of kalamar. It says rulebook IV on it, but it appears to be in 3.5. I didn't get much chance to look at it, but does any one no much about this book. It just seems to have odd facsimiles of pre-existing classes, like the shaman in it appears to be almost the same as druid and the Basiran? Dancer just seams to be on weird bard. Is it worth the buy (20$)? I've never heard about it before.

Amphetryon
2013-07-30, 03:01 PM
My local hobby shop has a book called players guide kingdom's of kalamar. It says rulebook IV on it, but it appears to be in 3.5. I didn't get much chance to look at it, but does any one no much about this book. It just seems to have odd facsimiles of pre-existing classes, like the shaman in it appears to be almost the same as druid and the Basiran? Dancer just seams to be on weird bard. Is it worth the buy (20$)? I've never heard about it before.

It's a decent 3rd party campaign setting, for the setting alone. KoK used "built from the ground up with an eye toward verisimilitude in the cultures" as a selling point, and on that they basically succeeded (opinions vary). There's a whole mess of other things that are potentially problematic (see also: Anti-Feats), but if you want a decent world that you don't have to homebrew, KoK fits, IMO.

kulosle
2013-07-30, 03:50 PM
It's 3rd party? It says dungeons and dragons on the cover.

Amphetryon
2013-07-30, 03:51 PM
It's 3rd party? It says dungeons and dragons on the cover.

It was published by Kenzer, Co., the guys who do Knights of the Dinner Table.

JaronK
2013-07-30, 03:59 PM
It's licensed third party. They were the first third party group to get that license... and as a result also the last.

It's an interesting setting, but there are definitely some balance issues to be aware of. Worth playing around with, though.

JaronK

SowZ
2013-07-30, 04:31 PM
I think you'll find the feel isn't going to be substantially different from your typical medieval style setting, though. Not necessarily a bad thing if it is done well. Just saying don't expect something as different as Eberron or something.