PDA

View Full Version : Produce Flame

Ruethgar
2013-07-30, 03:40 PM
I have a character with produce flame at will and for whom metamagic levels are of little consequence. What is the best way to increase the damage output of the spell? I have Energy Admix, Enervate, Empower, Blistering, Earth Spell and Heighten thus far putting it at (2d6+20+5)*2 ((2d6)*1.5+(2*10)+5)*1.5=42 to 64 per shot.

Edit: Currently he is primarily a fighter abusing Chaos Shuffle which essentially just makes him a slightly better Generic Warrior. So he has the fighter feat progression for the most part, not 100% sure how much Master Thrower I should take.

Menzath
2013-07-30, 03:50 PM
SEARING SPELL [METAMAGIC] Pg.53 sandstorm
The Fell X metamagics from libris Mortis(book of bad Latin)
Hmm not sure what other metamagics..

Arkusus
2013-07-30, 04:12 PM
So okay... by my calculations... Since apparently metamagic boosts' cost isn't really being cared about here, you could totally use Energy Admix what... four times? Once for each energy type? (Acid cold fire lightning?)

So now we're up to 5d6+25, but we're casting a level 17 spell.

Empower Spell, will times and a half your rolls, so you've basically got 7.5d6+25 at level 19
Then you get ennervate, so you're looking at 11.25d6+37.5 at level 21
Earth spell doesn't do anything. Does not work on spells with the fire descriptor.
Blistering adds 2 points of damage, so 11.25d6+39.5 at level 23
Heighten... basically just makes blistering better. So, you can up your damage by 2 per level you add. So the final potential tally is...

11.25d6+infinity at an infinity level spell slot.

No, but seriously, you're looking at an average damage of 79 (rounded up) at a spell level of 23. You can add 2 damage to this for every additional spell level you add.

You may be interested in adding Maximise, because that works nicely with Empower. One adds to the rolls you rolled, the other guarantees the rolls will be maxed. So... max spell effect, max bonus effect.

And oh yeah.... Twin Spell is always nice. When you're ubercharging metamagics anyway. But yeah... you're looking at some seriously needed metamagic powering.

I'm not really sure what your calculations were of, I couldn't figure that out. Mostly I don't get how you got your +20 modifier, and your *2 per shot.
(If the *2 per shot was because of the two 50% modifiers, check again. First off 50% and then 50% again are more than 100%, and second, one of those only adds to the dice rolls, not the bonus non-rolled damage)

Ruethgar
2013-07-30, 04:37 PM
Heighten spell has a maximum boost of up to 9th level. Energy sub out the fire descriptor and earth spell increases blistering spell by another 2 to a total of a 10th lvl * 2 damage from blistering. Not really worth 2 feats but the chain shuffling of Extra Slot benefits from Earth Spell as well.

Using the general rules of multiplication in D&D two increases of 50% only increase the base damage so dealing 100 base would be 100+50+50 instead of 100+50+75. But I am not 100% sure about empower spell, the example given in the feat would suggest that it considers the total damage done by the spell as one variable numeric effect rather than just the variable portion of the damage calculation i.e. the die rolls. If both are multiplying the same thing the generall D&D multiplication rules would likely apply, but if empower only increases die damage while enervate increases total, that would be different. I believe I was incorrect in multiplying the added damage from blistering and caster level with empower though.

I was fairly certain that the same metamagic couldn't be applied more than once, though I suppose the different types of admixture could be applied. To air on the saner side of things I chose to add it only once.

Twin and repeat spell give you more available shots, but do not increase damage, extend and chain do the same thing, 2x the shots, though extend is actually better here(chain does more if you have more arms but I am assuming a typical humanoid).

The spell is being metamagiced then made into an SLA which, to my knowledge, do not require the high int/cha/wis to use. By taking Extra Slot with both Earth and Sanctum Spell you can bust the normal spell level cap then take another Extra Slot and rewrite the first one to a new Extra Slot getting an infinitely high level spell slot.