PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 scout

sideswipe
2013-07-30, 05:08 PM
I'm playing in a 3.5 stealth based campaign, we have; a rogue, a ranger, a dragon shaman and I'm currently a sorcerer. the next class I want to play is scout. my weapon of choice being a bow or similar ranged weapon

before I go further I will emphasise this is a low level campaign and I will be making it at level 3 and I want to play scout. I know its a poor choice.

basicly I want to be able to get rid of the scouts main disadvantages which are being walked up to. (attacks of opportunity against you as you move away to skirmish) and the only ever having one attack. as all many shot feats require full attack so you cant move.

the second disadvantage doesn't effect me for a few levels so its mainly solving the problem of getting smacked in the face whilst I try to move. I know I could raise my tumble but that requires feats and isn't the most reliable

stats are 16 16 13 10 9 8
its ok to use flaws to get extra feats, only feats from official books. no dragon magazine feats as the dm does not allow them.

does anyone have any suggestions on feats that could help? or other obscure tricks and rules?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-30, 05:16 PM
The Manyshot feat only requires a standard action. Greater Manyshot latter on will help by applying skirmish to all arrows. Mounted combat was a good idea before the errata came out making skirmish not work with it.

Snowbluff
2013-07-30, 05:19 PM
A DC 40 tumble check will give an extra 5 feet to a ten foot step, allowing for a full attack Skirmish.

sideswipe
2013-07-30, 05:27 PM
ok snow bluff, good spot but please explain how a level 3 scout can get a dc 40 tumble at level 3? lol

thanks, i didn't read the later multi shot feats through properly.

can moving without provoking at level 3 be done? or cant it be done?

Snowbluff
2013-07-30, 05:29 PM
ok snow bluff, good spot but please explain how a level 3 scout can get a dc 40 tumble at level 3? lol

Hmm... I'll have to get back to you on that.

As for moving, DC 15 tumble.

sideswipe
2013-07-30, 05:34 PM
also do you know which book the dc for adding movement to a 5' step is in? its not phb or rules compendium

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-30, 05:43 PM
Have you read these?

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872250/The_Scouts_Handbook

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11034

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-30, 05:45 PM
also do you know which book the dc for adding movement to a 5' step is in? its not phb or rules compendium
That's in Oriental Adventures, I believe. DC 40 tumble check from page 58.

Manyshot explicitly states "Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once." So no skirmish on multiple arrows. You need Greater Manyshot for that.

sideswipe
2013-07-30, 05:51 PM
thank you. now just the problem of a dc 40 tumble regularly at level 3...... lol

Snowbluff
2013-07-30, 05:57 PM
Well, here I go for getting some points in tumble.

+6 ranks.
+2 Masterwork Item.
+6 Item Familiar.
+4 Shape Soulmeld: Acrobatic Boots +1 Essentia (You are Azurin)
+3 Dex
+2 (5 ranks in jump)
=
+23 Tumble. Roll high and you're good. :smalltongue:

I'll see if I can find a cheap item that gives a boost.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-30, 05:57 PM
thank you. now just the problem of a dc 40 tumble regularly at level 3...... lol
To be fair, you don't need it until you get your second attack at 8th.

Snowbluff
2013-07-30, 06:04 PM
Grod, I can DO THIS! :smallfrown:

Acrobat Boots from the Magic Item Compendium give a +2 Competence bonus. 900 gp.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-30, 06:05 PM
Grod, I can DO THIS! :smallfrown:

Acrobat Boots from the Magic Item Compendium give a +2 Competence bonus. 900 gp.

I think masterwork boots of tumble give +2 competence bonus, phb, 50 gp...

There are other ways of doing it too. SERIOUSLY, read the three links!

sideswipe
2013-07-30, 06:10 PM
yes but its not the gaining extra attacks its getting away from a raging barbarian that is staring at you without provoking at level 3 and still being able to attack. you can do it once a day with a 500g magic item. but can you do it regularly

nedz
2013-07-30, 06:15 PM
*cough* Skill Focus (Tumble) +3
*cough* Acrobatic +2

But this is a lot of resources for a small return.

sideswipe
2013-07-30, 06:21 PM
damn, at level 5 i could just be a raptorian and fly around in circles...... any LA1 or such flying races?

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-30, 06:24 PM
damn, at level 5 i could just be a raptorian and fly around in circles...... any LA1 or such flying races?

Fly by attack is pretty awesome for skirmish... =D

Stormageddon
2013-07-30, 06:27 PM
1 level of cleric travel domain. Problem solved.

nedz
2013-07-30, 06:36 PM
1 level of cleric travel domain. Problem solved.

I think you mean a 1 level dip of Cleric with Travel Devotion.
Add in some more turning pools and take Extra turning too.

A 1 level dip of Wizard-Conjurer with Abrupt Jaunt is also good.

Amphetryon
2013-07-30, 06:53 PM

Someone should double-check to make sure I didn't use the same bonus twice (as if I'd have to ask :smallwink:):

18 base DEX: +4

Beguiler Race (Shining South): +3

Unseelie Fey Template (Dragon Compendium): +1

Feats - Shape Soulmeld (1), Extra Essentia(3) (Magic of Incarnum) - Acrobat Boots with 2 points invested: +6

Potion of Cat's Grace: +2 - ally can also cast, or UMD

6 Ranks in Tumble: +6

Skill Shard, Greater (Tumble): +5

Bard's Inspire Competence: +2 (min) - from ally

4 + 3 + 1 + 6 + 2 + 6 + 5 + 2 = 29, meaning success on 11 or greater, at 3rd level.

Now add a Chronocharm of the Fateweaver: Reroll a Balance/Climb/Tumble check 1/day.

Most of your GP is focused on a DC 40 Tumble, but you should succeed at least half the time. No doubt I missed some items that give different bonuses.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-30, 06:54 PM
Those "don't provoke AoO" Tumble checks are pretty easy. 6 ranks from class, +3 from Dex, +2 synergy, +2 from a masterwork item and you'll make the DC 15 check 95% of the time.

Snowbluff
2013-07-30, 07:27 PM
Feats - Shape Soulmeld (1), Extra Essentia(3) (Magic of Incarnum) - Acrobat Boots with 2 points invested: +6

There was a reason why I chose Azurin. You can only invest a singular point of essentia unless you blow a feat on extra capacity, which is only worth as much as skill focus.

Amphetryon
2013-07-30, 07:40 PM
There was a reason why I chose Azurin. You can only invest a singular point of essentia unless you blow a feat on extra capacity, which is only worth as much as skill focus.

Seems like a larger bonus from Unseelie Fey Beguiler; am I missing something?

Menzath
2013-07-30, 07:50 PM
You forgot Belt of Ultimate Athleticism for taking 10 in tumble checks.
And once a Day take 20.

Snowbluff
2013-07-30, 07:53 PM
Seems like a larger bonus from Unseelie Fey Beguiler; am I missing something?

Yes, you are. You only have an essentia capacity of 1, meaning we have to find a more efficient use of the feats. Unseelie's bonus is a moot point because it's not exclusive to either base race.

Azurin also has a bonus feat and base essentia, freeing 2 feats.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-30, 08:15 PM
Yes, you are. You only have an essentia capacity of 1, meaning we have to find a more efficient use of the feats. Unseelie's bonus is a moot point because it's not exclusive to either base race.

Make the feat Skill Focus (tumble) and you've recovered the +3 from switching races, and you're gaining an effective feat. Nicely done.

Segev
2013-07-30, 08:17 PM
I'd like to reitterate the suggestion that, at level 3, you only need to make Tumble DC 15 to avoid provoking an AoO and move normally. When you get your second attack is when you'll care about DC 40 for the 10-foot 5-ft. step.

Hidden Talent for Dimension Hop (off the Freedom Mantle) at level 1 will get you two 10-ft. hops per day as swift actions, too.

Big Fau
2013-07-30, 08:25 PM
Skill Shard, Greater (Tumble): +5

Skill shards are one-use items, and Greater ones are extremely expensive for a 3rd level character.

Snowbluff
2013-07-30, 08:41 PM
Ampy, don't forget the synergy bonus from jump.

Make the feat Skill Focus (tumble) and you've recovered the +3 from switching races, and you're gaining an effective feat. Nicely done.
Aw shucks. :smallredface:

I am not sure I deserve much praise. The bonus feat and being Azurin is kind of a knee jerk reaction from me at this point. You can't go wrong with humans who have essentia. Fail that, you can't go wrong with Silverbrow human.

Grayson01
2013-07-30, 10:43 PM
Moving without Prevocing is only a DC 15 so you should be able to make that most of the time at level 3.
+6 Ranks
+2 (5 Ranks in Jump)
+3 Dex
+2 Boot's of Tumbling
= +13 don't roll a 1 and you are good.

yes but its not the gaining extra attacks its getting away from a raging barbarian that is staring at you without provoking at level 3 and still being able to attack. you can do it once a day with a 500g magic item. but can you do it regularly

nedz
2013-07-31, 04:03 AM
There's also a 1 level dip in Warlock.
Get a ranged touch magical weapon.
Take the Leaps and Bounds invocation for +6 Tumble.

Codyage
2013-07-31, 04:10 AM
Hengeyokai Sparrow (OA) it has errata to no LA in a Dragon Magazine. You could use it's hybrid form get 20ft fly speed, +2 DEX, and attack from the air. In addition to having a sparrow form that gives you 50ft fly speed.

Amphetryon
2013-07-31, 06:11 AM

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that the bonus you gain from Azurin/Acrobat Boots appears, by my math, to be smaller than the bonus listed for being an Unseelie Fey Beguiler.

Skill shards are one-use items, and Greater ones are extremely expensive for a 3rd level character.The question, as phrased, was merely to get to +40 on a Tumble check at 3rd level, not to do so repeatedly. I never claimed all the bonuses listed worked all day. I even specifically used the Chronocharm to increase the odds on that single check.

Snowbluff
2013-07-31, 11:33 AM
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that the bonus you gain from Azurin/Acrobat Boots appears, by my math, to be smaller than the bonus listed for being an Unseelie Fey Beguiler.

Azurin has 2 feats over beguiler, which is +5 when you add skill focus and Acrobatic. Or item familiar.

You can make the Azurin Useelie as well.