PDA

View Full Version : Re-appearing campaign features

Arkusus
2013-07-30, 06:25 PM
So, after spending m childhood playing games like Final Fantasy, and the like, I tend to have a few features in my campaigns that show up in multiple campaigns I make.

I was wondering of anyone else does This in their campaigns? And if so, what are some of the things that show up in yours?

A few of mine include:

Mount Sunfall: A lone tall mountain, always on the furthest west part of the continent (where the sun "falls") and is always connected to evil (even if only in the past)

The dragon king: This one was accidental, but in more than one campaign, I've had a kingdom run by a human king, but later revealed that he's either doing the will of a dragon who is the true king, or have them have been a dragon themselves. In all cases the king is both good and wise.

Illvaden: This was the starting town in the first campaign I ever made, and I really liked the name. As was the case then, the city always (though not actually evil) always has terrible fortune fall upon it.

Xervous
2013-07-30, 06:30 PM
Town constable/guard in the tavern in the starting town. I don't start them in the tavern, I don't guide them there, but I'll be damned if I'm not prepared.

So far the nameless local guardsmen have killed five belligerent PCs after lots of OOC warnings. I daresay it would be a good idea to develop a few of them a bit just to get more humor across.

nedz
2013-07-30, 06:33 PM
I've been running all my campaigns in the same world since the late 70's. I do change it around a bit, well quite a lot actually, but it does mean that if the PC's go completely off in a random direction I have a vague idea what the terrain looks like.

Martial_law
2013-07-30, 08:20 PM
I always have a warehouse with "infinite" floors in it, The monsters grow increasingly difficult. There are few places to rest and fewer ways to escape. The first floor is always Bryan the Mindflayer. He is sitting at his desk doing paperwork and eating a fish sandwich.

Repeat players keep a means for fresh fish around cause Bryan rewards people for their kindness, usually in terms of information and sometimes gear if they are about to go someplace they are woefully unprepared for and don't know it yet.

The warehouse itself continues downward for around 40 lvls before players usually run away cause its too hard. The warehouse grows more and more fish themed and eventually they would find themselves vs Dagon if they made it that far, but the furthest team was *I think* lvl 32 when they fled at lvl 42.

The warehouse is in different places or different means to enter it. Usually a trail of ghost footprints or some accidental alchemical explosion takes them there.