PDA

View Full Version : Metaphysical spellshaper and mitigate suffering

Irk
2013-07-30, 06:45 PM
I'm sure there's some fantastic abuse with this combo, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this.

In case you didn't know, metaphysical spellshaper says that you can take ability damage instead of paying for the higher level spell slot required by a metamagic feat, and mitigate suffering says you can cure yourself of ability damage equal to 2 + highest level spell prepared as a standard action as long as you have a spell curing ability damage 'available to cast', a phrase that is also potentially open to interpretation.

Galvin
2013-07-30, 07:06 PM
You'd be using your standard action every other round to repair the ability damage, of course, you could wait till the end of the combat to repair it. I understand "available to cast" as have the spell prepared/known. Thus, if you were a wizard, you would have to learn and prepare an arcane ability restore spell. I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Irk
2013-07-30, 07:25 PM
or, you could quicken the spell, and pay for it with mitigate suffering, thus providing the space to heal yourself in the same turn.

Galvin
2013-07-30, 08:08 PM
or, you could quicken the spell, and pay for it with mitigate suffering, thus providing the space to heal yourself in the same turn.

Though you can only quicken one spell per round, so it would be more efficient to cast a normal spell and a quickened spell, then a quickened spell with mitigate suffering, then repeat the process. Then you could get off 3 spells in two rounds, compared to two spells on two rounds. The only downfall is you'd have to go a round suffering that damage.

Irk
2013-07-30, 08:20 PM
yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Just take the damage to strength or something I guess.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-30, 08:41 PM
Well there is a binder bind that heals one point of ability damage a round, for free, and a soulmeld that gives ability damage DR, up to 4 at level 20. The binder level takes a level, but the soulmeld can be accessed though feats.

The feats shape soulmeld, and extra essence on a race with a racial point of essence will work for max essence. That gets you free maximize and quickened spells for 2 points of ability damage. Twinned and split ray are both within easy reach.

I would start with a maximized twinned enervation and a quickened enervation for good measure. If your foe is a threat with 9-12 negative levels, you are fighting hard foes.

Persist would simply be a matter of waiting between castings.

Irk
2013-07-30, 10:36 PM
If you have ability DR are you really still taking the damage though?

Rebel7284
2013-07-30, 11:02 PM
If you have ability DR are you really still taking the damage though?

Unclear and I recall there was a ruling of "doesn't work" when it came to hellfire warlock which is the same situation.

Binder works though.

Spuddles
2013-07-31, 01:37 AM
Great method to persist all the spells with.

If you mix it with control body, a psionic power, you can control yourself mentally as a move action while burning your strength score to negative a million.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-31, 03:03 AM
Or you can just persist Sheltered Vitality (SpC) and be immune to ability damage. If you don't have 4th level spells a wand of Body Ward (CC) can accomplish the same.
Persist cheese is already easy enough with the stuff you have to invest in.
Getting free metamagic for a 1 level dip and the ability to read spell descriptions is just sloppy design.