PDA

View Full Version : [PF] THe Anti-Gunslinger

Vultawk
2013-07-30, 09:50 PM
One of my PC's is playing a Gunslinger who is on the run from a thieves' guild, so naturally, I want the person hunting him down to be sort of tailored against him. What are some good ways to counter, but not completely negate, the abilities of a gunslinger? I'm thinking of going partially Monk for the added Wis to touch AC (and Deflecting Bullets should be fun just for the reaction), but what else?

Crustypeanut
2013-07-30, 10:11 PM
A Gun Tank Gunslinger is a good Gunslinger-Hunter, actually. Grab him some medium armor (Mithral Breastplate is best), with enough dex to fill it out, and you'll be sporting a fairly high Touch AC. A non-magical Mithral Breastplate with full Dex filling it out would give him 18 AC vs Firearms (+3 from Armor, +5 from Dex), not to mention even more dex from Armor Training that Gun Tanks get. Slap on an Amulet of Bullet Protection +X and a Ring of Protection +X, then fight defensively and you've got yourself someone who hits as hard as a gunslinger while being damned good at hunting them.

Though you only gain +1/2 your Armor Bonus from Armor to your Touch AC vs Firearms, you gain your full Enhancement Bonus - so a +5 Mithral Breastplate would grant +8 to your Touch vs Firearms, not to mention the +5 Dex (+9 with Full Armor Training). Add the +5 Amulet and Rings, and you'll have a 37 Touch AC vs Firearms. Include Fighting Defensively with 3+ Ranks in Acrobatics for a straight up 40 Touch AC vs Firearms. Thats not including Dodge, the Insight Bonus to AC Ioun Stone, or miss-chance effects. This is for a medium-sized Gunslinger. Even more AC for a small one.

All while shooting people with your own firearms. As they say, fight fire with fire!

avr
2013-07-30, 10:18 PM
As always, spells can help

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/damp-powder
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/recoil-fire
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/thunder-fire

If you've got a monk as the main guy, a low level witch or wizard (or a rogue with a wand) as a sidekick could use one of these.

Crasical
2013-07-30, 10:43 PM
A maneuver-focused monk can hose a gunslinger pretty bad by disarming them and/or stealing the bag they use to keep their shot/powder/cartriges in. They're also stylistically contrasting, if you can't think up anything interesting to do with a tradition-bound martial artist confronted with 'dishonorable' new weapons then I can't help you. I do really like Crustypeanut's suggestion of having a gun-tank in the role, though, since most of their shtick is 'be bulletproof' and it opens the door to invoking pretty awesome high-noon showdowns and other western tropes.

Crustypeanut
2013-07-30, 10:56 PM
I'm running an Unbreakable Fighter/Gun Tank Gunslinger in the Reign of Winter campaign I'm playing in. I can't wait until part 5 of that campaign.

Reign of Winter Spoiler Alert:

Charging through lines of World War 1 infantrymen and not giving a **** will be awesome. :3 Plus since my DM is allowing Advanced Firearms relatively early on , I'll have myself a Double Barreled Shotgun to work with. I just got myself a Mwk Rifle as well.. just got bullets for it finally.