PDA

View Full Version : Is there any monster immune to HP damage?

Larkas
2013-07-30, 10:20 PM
Barring that, is there any RAW way to build a creature immune to HP damage? Please note that I'm interested ONLY in HP damage immunity, the creature can, and should, be vulnerable to other hazards, such as failed saves. Immunity to non-lethal damage, however, is a plus.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-07-30, 10:24 PM
Half black dragon war troll is immune to physical damage, or at least you can't bypass the regeneration, making any damage automatically nonlethal.

Chronos
2013-07-30, 10:41 PM
Or you can do a half black dragon ordinary troll, and then cast Mantle of the Fiery Spirit on it, for nearly the same effect (though you'll still be vulnerable to Hellfire and Searing spells).

Either way, you can then follow up with levels in Renegade Mastermaker and Warforged Juggernaut to become immune to nonlethal damage, too. Or there's a half-undead template somewhere that would also work.

Deophaun
2013-07-30, 10:55 PM
Half black dragon war troll is immune to physical damage, or at least you can't bypass the regeneration, making any damage automatically nonlethal.
Well, there's still vile damage.

Seclora
2013-07-30, 11:46 PM
Our DM has been pitching Corrupted Bone Trolls at us lately. Both templates are out of BoVD, one lets a skeletal undead keep its Extrodinary abilities, the other makes it immune to acid.
Regen makes them treat all damage but fire(and acid which they've got immunity to) as nonlethal, but being undead makes them ignore non-lethal. The only surviving vulnerability at that point was fire(and we ruled positive energy/Holy typed damage) And that's easy enough to deal with if you simply used a different troll.

137beth
2013-07-30, 11:49 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but

Barring that, is there any RAW way to build a creature immune to HP damage?
Yes, just give it:
Invulnerability (ex): The (monster) cannot take hp damage. Anything which would deal hp damage to it does 0 damage.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-30, 11:52 PM
Our DM has been pitching Corrupted Bone Trolls at us lately. Both templates are out of BoVD, one lets a skeletal undead keep its Extrodinary abilities, the other makes it immune to acid.
Regen makes them treat all damage but fire(and acid which they've got immunity to) as nonlethal, but being undead makes them ignore non-lethal. The only surviving vulnerability at that point was fire(and we ruled positive energy/Holy typed damage) And that's easy enough to deal with if you simply used a different troll.

Except regeneration explicitly says only creatures with a con score can possess it. So even if the template allows them to retain extraordinary abilities the lack of a con score prevents them from having regeneration.

Seclora
2013-07-31, 12:05 AM
Except regeneration explicitly says only creatures with a con score can possess it. So even if the template allows them to retain extraordinary abilities the lack of a con score prevents them from having regeneration.

Gosh I wish I'd known that four-five months ago.

Still, it simply specifies 'Special Qualities: same as base creature', and the base creature had Regeneration. I'd say that one's a DM ruling. Which probably disqualifies it under RAW, but could still be run to function if he wanted it to.

lsfreak
2013-07-31, 12:43 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587) might be worth a read.

Spuddles
2013-07-31, 12:55 AM
Warforged with that Dragon mag feat that gives you regeneration is immune to everything but acid & fire.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-31, 12:55 AM
step one: add a template to a Tarrasque (mm) base creature where said template makes it immune to all non-leathal damage and allows it to keep all it already in place abilities.

step two: hope your players have something that actually does something to it

Slipperychicken
2013-07-31, 01:09 AM

Trollbane (alchemical substance, 90gp, Dungeonscape pg 37) makes a single attack bypass the target's regeneration, no save. Apply once for every hit you need to take it down. It "functions as an injury poison", but is an alchemical substance, so I'm not sure if poison immunity applies to it.

If poison immunity does not apply to Trollbane, it is the answer to emerald legion style shenanigans; it would enable damage against them. If Trollbane counts as poison for the purpose of immunities, then it still works on most regenerators.

Snowbluff
2013-07-31, 01:11 AM
Warforged with that Dragon mag feat that gives you regeneration is immune to everything but acid & fire.

Troll Blooded, #319.

I would never use it, of course. Making yourself immune to HP damage is asking for trouble.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-07-31, 01:24 AM
Trollbane (alchemical substance, 90gp, Dungeonscape pg 37) makes a single attack bypass the target's regeneration, no save. Apply once for every hit you need to take it down. It "functions as an injury poison", but is an alchemical substance, so I'm not sure if poison immunity applies to it.

If poison immunity does not apply to Trollbane, it is the answer to emerald legion style shenanigans; it would enable damage against them. If Trollbane counts as poison for the purpose of immunities, then it still works on most regenerators.

If it counts as poison, then there's a simple solution to that problem. There's several ways to be immune to poison, including lower level class abilities. If it doesn't, it still sucks up your actions to keep re-applying it every attack.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-31, 01:26 AM

Was it the same in 3.0? Because if it was someone forgot to tell Sword and Sorcery before they made their Nosferatu vampire strain.

But if it functions as an injury poison it won't do anything because you need to actually wound a target to poison them with an injury poison. Non-lethal damage doesn't actually count as wounds, that's lethal damage.

Edit: also were undead vulnerable to non-lethal damage in 3.0? If not S&S seriously derpped out on the Nosferatu.

Spuddles
2013-07-31, 01:31 AM
Troll Blooded, #319.

I would never use it, of course. Making yourself immune to HP damage is asking for trouble.

I did it once, on a half minotaur water orc wolf lion spirit totem barbarian. With monk and fist of the forest into frenzied berserker.

My DM loved it. He went down in a blaze of glory. 5 int and functional immortality was fun to play. He wasnt evil because he was mean; he was evil because he had no comprehension what death was.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-31, 01:46 AM
Managed to find a copy of the 3.0 SRD buried online somewhere. Undead were immune to subdual damage back then too. It also seems they didn't have the constitution score restriction back then, but I can't be sure on that one. It seems that the nosferatu vampire was really hard impossible to kill. Or maybe really easy to kill if regeneration had the same restriction back then.

Snowbluff
2013-07-31, 01:52 AM
I did it once, on a half minotaur water orc wolf lion spirit totem barbarian. With monk and fist of the forest into frenzied berserker.

My DM loved it. He went down in a blaze of glory. 5 int and functional immortality was fun to play. He wasnt evil because he was mean; he was evil because he had no comprehension what death was.

:thog: "Why talky man not move?"

:smalleek:

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-31, 03:35 AM
Trollbane (alchemical substance, 90gp, Dungeonscape pg 37) makes a single attack bypass the target's regeneration, no save. Apply once for every hit you need to take it down. It "functions as an injury poison", but is an alchemical substance, so I'm not sure if poison immunity applied to it.
Don't be silly simply knock the troll out and apply it once to a scythe for a Coup de grâce

But if it functions as an injury poison it won't do anything because you need to actually wound a target to poison them with an injury poison. Not actually true, while DR can prevent an injury poison from being applies nothing in the rules state it has to be lethal damage.

But more importantly, the description of the trollbane poison says.
"A successful hit with a slashing or piercing weapon that has been coated in trollbane will expose the target to the poison."

ahenobarbi
2013-07-31, 04:10 AM
Just remove some immunities from Emerald Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587).

Crake
2013-07-31, 05:45 AM

except creatures with immunity to nonlethal damage cant get regeneration

TuggyNE
2013-07-31, 06:28 AM
Was it the same in 3.0?

No, it wasn't. That's why the Atropal has it; the ELH conversion was … patchy.

except creatures with immunity to nonlethal damage cant get regeneration

That's not actually true; creatures without Con scores (which make up the vast majority of those immune to non-lethal damage) cannot have Regeneration, but it's possible to get immunity to non-lethal in a number of other ways, and there is no specific rule to prevent combining any of those other methods with Regeneration.

EyethatBinds
2013-07-31, 07:28 AM
The Zodar from Fiend Folio is immune to all damage, except magic bludgeoning. Which it still ignores the enhancement bonus of.

jindra34
2013-07-31, 09:48 AM
Also note that Hostile Empathic Transfer makes Regeneration base 'immunity' have a big hole. Because it says NO to regeneration and the other common (if not just all of the) defenses.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-31, 10:00 AM
But if it functions as an injury poison it won't do anything because you need to actually wound a target to poison them with an injury poison. Non-lethal damage doesn't actually count as wounds, that's lethal damage.

Since regeneration doesn't apply against an attack made with a Trollbane-coated weapon, it would ignore the nonlethal-conversion and deal damage normally.

Regardless, the exact wording in Trollbane says it only needs a "successful hit". The entry for injury poison doesn't have anything to say about nonlethal damage negating it; only that it doesn't apply if the creature has enough DR to completely ignore the damage dealt.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-31, 10:36 AM
Since regeneration doesn't apply against an attack made with a Trollbane-coated weapon, it would ignore the nonlethal-conversion and deal damage normally.

Regardless, the exact wording in Trollbane says it only needs a "successful hit". The entry for injury poison doesn't have anything to say about nonlethal damage negating it; only that it doesn't apply if the creature has enough DR to completely ignore the damage dealt.

If it says on a successful hit it is OK, but probably not if it says functions like an injury poison. The wording throughout the SRD and PHB heavily suggests that wounds refer to lethal damage. Injury poisons require wounds to act. Poison specifically says DR can prevent it and doesn't mention non-lethal damage, but it also says it requires wounds.

Edit: Where can I find the rules for trollbane anyway?

Edit: The RAW is vague here as it doesn't define the word wound, but it does say non-lethal damage isn't real damage.

ksbsnowowl
2013-07-31, 10:51 AM
Was it the same in 3.0? Because if it was someone forgot to tell Sword and Sorcery before they made their Nosferatu vampire strain.
WotC's left arm forgot to tell its right arm when they published Monsters of Faerun, too. The revenant is an undead template that gets Regeneration.

Later printings of Revenant and Curst change it to fast healing, which is dumb, as the two are don't do the same thing or have the same implications.

I just treat Revenants as immune to nonlethal, except the "nonlethal" that is a result of their regeneration. It can still knock them out, and functionally behaves just like it would for a troll.

There are ways to make things that are "immune" to weapon damage because they have two separate, conflicting types of regeneration. Put the Wendigo template (FF) on a War Troll (MM3) and you have Regen x/Acid and Regen x/Fire. Both are separate, and work independently. There simply is no way to kill it with hit point damage. You can knock it unconscious, however.

Chaosvii7
2013-07-31, 11:03 AM
That's not actually true; creatures without Con scores (which make up the vast majority of those immune to non-lethal damage) cannot have Regeneration, but it's possible to get immunity to non-lethal in a number of other ways, and there is no specific rule to prevent combining any of those other methods with Regeneration.

There was an old Wizards' errata that constantly gets cited in these kinds of topics that says that a creature that is immune to nonlethal damage cannot convert the damage taken from regeneration into nonlethal and therefore does not benefit from it. If you cannot take nonlethal damage, you can't regenerate it. It's actually one of the more sound failsafes that ensures that nothing can't take no damage. I'll edit the post if I can find the topic that had the original reference to it. But this person is right; Immunity to nonlethal damage actually makes Regeneration worthless.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-07-31, 11:46 AM
Also note that Hostile Empathic Transfer makes Regeneration base 'immunity' have a big hole. Because it says NO to regeneration and the other common (if not just all of the) defenses.

Or it would if it didn't also carry the [Mind Effecting] tag, making it fairly easy to be immune to.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-31, 01:17 PM
Edit: Where can I find the rules for trollbane anyway?

Dungeonscape page 37.

With a slashing or piercing weapon that deals HP damage, you're inflicting a wound. It might close up in 12 seconds (with Trollbane it's not closing up), but that's enough to get the poison in.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-31, 01:29 PM
Dungeonscape page 37.

With a slashing or piercing weapon that deals HP damage, you're inflicting a wound. It might close up in 12 seconds (with Trollbane it's not closing up), but that's enough to get the poison in.

That's how regeneration works in fluff. The crunch is just plain weird. I do agree with you that that is how it is supposed to work but the RAW is vague and implies otherwise. Trollbane is fine however due to it's specific text.

Edit: Also, I've been thinking. The way regeneration is worded, is it possible multiple instances of regeneration add weaknesses instead of covering them up?

JaronK
2013-07-31, 01:50 PM
Learnean Lumi. You're completely immune to hp damage, and can only die via the Disintegrate spell. However, your only other immunities are death effects and blindness.

JaronK

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-31, 02:07 PM
Where can I find this Learnean Lumi?

Edit: Never mind, I found the Lumi and Lernaean template.

Snowbluff
2013-07-31, 02:43 PM
Where can I find this Learnean Lumi?

Edit: Never mind, I found the Lumi and Lernaean template.

Wait... JaronK wouldn't Lumi be that god awful Outsider design with no neck? Lernaean being the broken version of multiheaded? So you are an ugly outsider with a bunch of bloating heads... I might throw up. :smallfrown:

ShadowFireLance
2013-07-31, 02:45 PM
Zodar fusioned with an Ocean Giant. Completely Immune to everything. No joke. Look it up.

JaronK
2013-07-31, 02:56 PM
Wait... JaronK wouldn't Lumi be that god awful Outsider design with no neck? Lernaean being the broken version of multiheaded? So you are an ugly outsider with a bunch of bloating heads... I might throw up. :smallfrown:

Actually the result is kinda cool, a humanoid looking thing that has two floating glowing heads above one body and is nearly impossible to actually kill, and it dual wields weapons really easily.

Frankly, that's a lot more interesting than a lot of weird D&D monsters (It's a stalagmite... that kills you!).

JaronK

Larkas
2013-07-31, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

So basically, to have a creature immune to HP damage I'd have to go template stacking and/or using sketchy RAW, right? There aren't creatures directly immune to HP damage the same way a lack of a Con score makes you immune to Fortitude saves, short of homebrewing.

Interesting. Well, thanks for all the help!

TuggyNE
2013-08-01, 02:06 AM
So basically, to have a creature immune to HP damage I'd have to go template stacking and/or using sketchy RAW, right?

Yes. It's pretty cheesy by the general outline of the system; there's no "intended" way to do it.