PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful World of Water

Ruethgar
2013-07-30, 10:38 PM
So I have a character based around the spell Create Water, I have it available at will and at level one can create 15552 gallons of water or about nineteen 5ft cubes, half the first round, half the second. Considering that create water only implies, but does not state that you must create it as a liquid, I would of course be making ice most of the time. Do note that increasing the level of the spell is a no go, but increasing the slot is fine. So you can't Heighten Snowcast Flash Frost it. The spell already has Chain, Twin and Repeat applied.

So what are some creative ways the playground would use this ability?

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-30, 11:04 PM
Umm no you can't create it as ice... at no point does it even imply you can create it as ice. Snow and ice are not measured in galleons, frozen liquid is not drinkable nor is it like clean rain water.(being a solid and not a liquid).
By your logic you could use create water to make super heated steam capable of killing someone.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-31, 01:05 AM
The only way it would be ice right off the bat was if the temp around it was so cold it instantly froze. If your in that cold of conditions I would hope you have the cold subtype.

Granted, DM overrides RAW

Ruethgar
2013-07-31, 02:22 AM
Frozen liquid is indeed drinkable, to drink most often refers to liquid but is not limited to such and drinkable most often refers to the safety of the substance more than anything else. Rain water can be frozen, granted sleet and hail are generally more common than freezing rain. Ice and water are the same thing in a different state. By saying that you create water you are saying you can create H2O not that you are creating liquid H2O, just H2O. As to creating steam, no. The spell does no damage and to my knowledge rain doesn't fall as steam, a mist perhaps but not steam.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-31, 02:25 AM
Lets end this end this as far as this thread is concerned with one simple question: which way does your dm rule on this issue? If your dm allows you to make ice with this spell then we can go foward with that.

Ruethgar
2013-07-31, 02:38 AM
He agreed that it was possible, but didn't like putting that much in one spell and split it into Create Ice, Create Mist(5ft square per level of obscuring mist a lot less than what 2 gal would make) and Create Water RAI.

ahenobarbi
2013-07-31, 03:32 AM
Since when rain can be non-liquid?

Anyways... if it works for you then it's silly good for 0th level spell. It does work of:
* Grease (1st level spell)
* Fog cloud (2nd level spell)
* Wall of Ice (4th level spell)
with larger area and added ability to freely shape.

Devronq
2013-07-31, 05:05 AM
I'm assuming this ability to make water is completely a homebrew idea of some sort yes? If its not how the heck are you making that much water and having it chained twinned and repeated?

Killer Angel
2013-07-31, 06:24 AM
He agreed that it was possible, but didn't like putting that much in one spell and split it into Create Ice, Create Mist(5ft square per level of obscuring mist a lot less than what 2 gal would make) and Create Water RAI.

By RAW, you cannot do it. If you DM let you create ice, then stacking metamagic upon it or create different kind of "water", I'm sure that you won't be able to create ice/mist/steam no more, in the moment this will create problems to said DM...

Ruethgar
2013-07-31, 10:53 AM
By RAW there is very little wiggle room but the English language is always up for interpretation and going strictly by the definitions of to words used it is possible to create ice from the spell, just clearly not RAI.

It is not homebrew, I found a feat in Spells and Magic by some obscure third party source that lets you take 5x spell level damage and not use up a slot. Create water as a level 0 spell deals no damage and just become infinitely castable, the addition of all metamagic except heighten increases the spell slot but not the spell level. So since I don't need a spell slot and the level is still 0 I can apply whatever meta magic I am able to the spell without worry for the level. As to how I got that many feats to start, elf, flaws and chaos shuffle.

Telonius
2013-07-31, 11:04 AM
Invent the Margarita.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-31, 11:15 AM
It is not homebrew, I found a feat in Spells and Magic by some obscure third party source that lets you take 5x spell level damage and not use up a slot. Create water as a level 0 spell deals no damage and just become infinitely castable, the addition of all metamagic except heighten increases the spell slot but not the spell level. So since I don't need a spell slot and the level is still 0 I can apply whatever meta magic I am able to the spell without worry for the level. As to how I got that many feats to start, elf, flaws and chaos shuffle.

I remember reading this somewhere in RAW: for anything involving spell level, 0th lvl spells are treated as .5 lvl spells.

Ruethgar
2013-07-31, 11:29 AM
I didn't think that was a general rule, I thought it was just almost always mentioned, if it is a general rule I can get the spell to be effectively level -1 with sanctum spell to avoid it.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-31, 11:29 AM
That is for magic item creation.

I remember reading this somewhere in RAW: for anything involving spell level, 0th lvl spells are treated as .5 lvl spells.

Deophaun
2013-07-31, 11:45 AM
Snow and ice are not measured in galleons.
Oh, I'm sure in the middle ages, when the Volkswagen beetle hadn't been invented yet, the galleon was probably the go-to unit when describing the size of an iceberg.