PDA

View Full Version : Solo D&D

Delvin Darkwood
2013-07-30, 10:39 PM
A tad fed up with scheduling conflicts with my play group, i decided to just go ahead and play D&D without them. I rolled up a party of characters, equipped them, and set them into a dungeon, randomly generating it as i go, all the while writing a journal from the "main" party members vantage point in and between dungeon crawls. Essentially, I've been playing AD&D solo.

Has anyone else ever done anything like this? Ide like to think that I'm not crazy, and would be interested to see what anyone has to say on the idea.

Grinner
2013-07-30, 10:47 PM
Solo adventures are a thing. They read a bit like those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, though. There's also a book called the Game Master Emulator. I haven't tried it myself, but it exists. Lastly, a few people (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294873) here have recently taken up playing RPGs with Cleverbot, but it's not good for much more than a few laughs.

It occurs to me that computer RPGs were made to fill this void, however...

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-07-30, 11:02 PM
That's awesome! I hear there's a tool out there called the Mythic GM Emulator that's basically designed to help you do this.

Edge of Dreams
2013-07-30, 11:28 PM
How about this - a website that acts as a virtual GM? http://www.rpgsolo.com/play.php

Medic!
2013-07-30, 11:31 PM
I get my fix of this with Stone Soup Dungeon Crawl, <3 it

Jay R
2013-07-31, 01:12 PM
A tad fed up with scheduling conflicts with my play group, i decided to just go ahead and play D&D without them. I rolled up a party of characters, equipped them, and set them into a dungeon, randomly generating it as i go, all the while writing a journal from the "main" party members vantage point in and between dungeon crawls. Essentially, I've been playing AD&D solo.

Has anyone else ever done anything like this? Ide like to think that I'm not crazy, and would be interested to see what anyone has to say on the idea.

Yes, people have done it before; no, you're not crazy.

In Spring 1975, The Strategic Review was published by TSR. It was the first ever magazine to discuss roleplaying games, and was the precursor to the Dragon.

In its first issue, there was an article called "Solo Dungeon Adventures", by Gary Gygax, with help from George Lord, and play-tested by Robert Kuntz and Ernest Gygax.

It was in fact the first published article on running an adventure, pre-dating the use of published modules, and has impeccable credentials.