PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Saucier XVI: Cobra Commander Edition

mattie_p
2013-07-30, 10:51 PM
Welcome one and all to the sixteenth Zinc Saucier challenge, where Playgrounders come to test their skill in the art of beautiful and bizarre (and bizarrely beautiful) builds, summoning a savory dish of superb swordplay and sublime sorcery.

The challenge? To come up with a build that has the same abilities and feel as the Secret Ingredient WITHOUT actually using it!

For the sixteenth challenge why did it have to be snakes? prepare to charm those reptiles, from Serpent Kingdoms, it's the Master of Vipers!

Our challengers will have about 2 weeks to build a complete build up to level 20 using a 32 point buy and all official WOTC D&D 3.5 materials (excluding dragon magazine, but including any WOTC online enhancements) with the abilities and feel of a Master of Vipers without actually using any levels in it. Competitors will receive a total of 209,999 experience points, expressly permitting LA buy-off or other tricks.

Entries must be submitted by Sunday, 11:59pm GMT, 11 August, 2013. As usual, please submit your entries via private message to the chairman, so as not to influence the other sauciers.

Judges will then have until Sunday, 11:59pm GMT, 25 August, 2013, to post scores for all dishes.

Contestants will be judged and awarded a score out of 5 in each of 4 categories;

* Innovation (Uniqueness in character concept, race, class, etc)
* Power (How powerful and versatile it is compared to the base class)
* Elegance (What can only be described as how well the build "flows", i.e not using lots of 1-2lv dips, sacrificing flavour for power or using flaws)
* Ingredient (How well the build captures the abilities and feel of the base class)

Presentation would be best in the style of how the iron chef does their presentations, however any style is allowed so long as it is clear on how the build was made.

Recommended style:NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

Copy and Paste:NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage). For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list, similar to this:
Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Copy and Paste:Spells per day/Spells Known

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Please do not post details of your build on the board before it is ready, so as not to spoil the surprise for others.

Sauciers may submit as many builds as they want but please don't use leadership, as we don't want to overfeed the judges.

Previous challenges;
Soulknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225187)
Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229736)
Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233749)
Assassin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239294)
Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243627)
Warlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247169)
Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252932)
Warblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256004)
Pyrokineticist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259654)
Ninja (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263278)
Druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265347)
True Necromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276267)
Dervish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280212)
Whisperknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285337)
Epic Infiltrator (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289233)

This competition is inspired by the Playground Iron Chef Competitions and uses mostly identical rules.

Also it comes with double prize money.

Allez Sauciers!

mattie_p
2013-07-30, 10:53 PM
A few administrative notes:

Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, may lose you points. Please note the following: a legal source's relative obscurity should not be considered as penalizing Elegance, excepting the aforementioned issues with Unearthed Arcana. Using too many sources may be an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion, but a book's relative obscurity may not.

Is Dragon Compendium Allowed? Yes, but individual issues of Dragon Magazine are not.

What about 3.0 materials? 3.0 materials, whether online or in printed form, are allowed unless they've been officially updated to a 3.5 edition.

Are Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, or Kingdoms of Kalamar allowable sources? The Dragonlance Campaign Setting is allowed, but the subsequent books for Dragonlance are considered 3rd party, and are therefore not eligible, despite the "WotC approved" status of those books. The same holds for Oriental Adventures (1st party) and the subsequent Rokugan books (3rd party). Materials from Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Kingdoms of Kalamar are considered 3rd party for purposes of this contest, and are therefore not allowed.

What about online sources in general? If the online source is a) published by WotC, and b) not replaced by an updated version at a later time, it is eligible. Use it, link it.

Where's the line drawn with "acceptable/unacceptable" for Unearthed Arcana? This will likely vary a bit from Chairman to Chairman. Item Familiars and Gestalt have always been verboten, since before IC migrated to GitP; don't expect that to change. Flaws have similarly always been noted as warranting a deduction; while I am Chairman, I'm extending that to Traits, though they warrant 1/2 the penalty in Elegance that a Flaw would because they're roughly 1/2 as useful. Alternate spell systems, alternate skill systems and alternate crafting rules all create an uneven playing field, and as such, will be disallowed for as long as I am Chairman. Bloodlines are ripe for abuse, and will be strongly discouraged as long as I am Chairman. Note that judges are allowed to look askance at any use of Unearthed Arcana not specifically mentioned above, at their discretion, and otherwise penalize Elegance according to their preference.

Level adjustment buy-off (from Unearthed Arcana) is expressly permitted in this particular competion, because you are granted a set experience point total of 209,999 to use. What you do with it is up to you.

What, exactly, does the ban on Leadership mean? As folks have started to try to work around the edges of this one, I'm forced to spell it out more plainly. No Leadership, Draconic Cohort, or Feats that grant a similar ability are allowed EXCEPT Wild Cohort while I am chairman. Any PrC you choose with Leadership or a Leadership-analog has that ability entirely ignored for this contest, as it may neither be used nor traded away via any means whatsoever.

What's the minimum score in a category? Assuming an entry is legal, the minimum score in any category is 1. If a judge is convinced that an entry is illegal by the RAW, the judge may give a 0 or decline to score a given entry. Because this contest focuses on Player Characters, an entry that is not technically allowed for a PC, but is viable as an NPC, counts as a legal entry, but may receive a minimum score at the judges' discretion.

Do I have to be a Yuan-ti? In the spirit of the competition, you don't have to be a Yuan-ti, but whatever race/class you select should mimic the racial abilities/traits of a Yuan-ti in order to receive the highest scores. Judges should consider baseline abilities to mimic to include both the class and Yuan-ti racial abilities.

A thread for your amusement/edification:

Handy Tips for the Iron Chef in the Playground Noob (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287603)

Snowbluff
2013-07-31, 12:16 AM
Should be easy enough. I actually have a rather silly idea for this one.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-07-31, 12:17 AM
Ahh well, I don't have Serpent Kingdoms on hand. Either it is in one of the innumerable boxes which was the inevitable result of my moving, or I deliberately avoided that book for... reasons...

/twitch

So I shall not be able to compete in this edition.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-07-31, 09:06 AM
I will be happy to judge for this one, like I said before.

mattie_p
2013-07-31, 03:15 PM
Should be easy enough. I actually have a rather silly idea for this one.

Great, glad to have you back for this one.

Ahh well, I don't have Serpent Kingdoms on hand. Either it is in one of the innumerable boxes which was the inevitable result of my moving, or I deliberately avoided that book for... reasons...

/twitch

So I shall not be able to compete in this edition.

No worries. Perhaps we shall have you back next time.

I will be happy to judge for this one, like I said before.

Glad to have fresh meat set of eyes participating.

dysprosium
2013-07-31, 03:47 PM
Crashing through the night
Comes a fearful cry
Cobra! Cobra! Cobra! Cobra!
Armies of the night
Evil taking flight
No where to run
No where to hide
Panic spreading far and wide
Who can turn the tide?

I'll be sure to enter this one :smallcool:

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-07-31, 08:44 PM
Crashing through the night
Comes a fearful cry
Armies of the night
Evil taking flight
No where to run
No where to hide
Panic spreading far and wide
Who can turn the tide?

I'll be sure to enter this one :smallcool:

Just for this, I'm tempted to find the damn book and find a way to use [redacted] with [Friend Computer loves you] and [Carry On, Citizen].

mattie_p
2013-08-01, 05:47 PM
Just for this, I'm tempted to find the damn book and find a way to use [redacted] with [Friend Computer loves you] and [Carry On, Citizen].

Do it, you know you want to. Of course, actually you don't need the book at all. You're just replicating the class, so you could just find some stuff that lets you boss snakes around and call it a day :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2013-08-01, 06:32 PM
Interesting. I can see a couple ways to do this. [Redacted] mimics this almost perfectly, but is probably obvious. On the other hand [also redacted] is more interesting, but mimicking of the Master of Viper's abilities will be challenging.

Humble Master
2013-08-01, 09:27 PM
Double checked my books and I do not have Serpent Kingdoms, so I cannot compete, nor judge. Ah well, guess I will watch with anticipation!

mattie_p
2013-08-02, 07:21 AM
Double checked my books and I do not have Serpent Kingdoms, so I cannot compete, nor judge. Ah well, guess I will watch with anticipation!

Interesting. Well, I promise to pick a less obscure sourcebook for the next one, then.

Humble Master
2013-08-02, 07:03 PM
Interesting. Well, I promise to pick a less obscure sourcebook for the next one, then. Oh, please, don't pick the ingredient on my account. I'm fine just sitting back and looking at what people come up with.

mattie_p
2013-08-03, 08:19 AM
Oh, please, don't pick the ingredient on my account. I'm fine just sitting back and looking at what people come up with.

No worries, but at least two possible competitors stated they don't have access to this book. I have to think of the audience.

dysprosium
2013-08-05, 01:09 PM
Well, this is proving more difficult than I first thought. I'll have a build done not I won't be as confident in it as I would like.

That is unless I tweak it a little better . . . tweak . . . tweak

mattie_p
2013-08-05, 10:01 PM
There is still time remaining. Although it does seem I chose I relatively obscure book for the class. Can't please everyone unless the ingredient comes from the SRD, it seems.

Humble Master
2013-08-05, 10:20 PM
There is still time remaining. Although it does seem I chose I relatively obscure book for the class. Can't please everyone unless the ingredient comes from the SRD, it seems. That would be a way to significantly increase the number of people who participated.

Also I never though of Serpent Kingdoms as extremely obscure (though maybe because of Pun Pun).

TerrickTerran
2013-08-06, 05:46 AM
I really like the idea here. I have little ability to build (but who knows, if I get inspired, maybe I'll try), but even if I don't, I'll look forward to seeing what people make.

mattie_p
2013-08-06, 09:37 PM
I really like the idea here. I have little ability to build (but who knows, if I get inspired, maybe I'll try), but even if I don't, I'll look forward to seeing what people make.

I, too, enjoy seeing what the competitors enter as approximations of the secret ingredient. In fact, a couple of months ago I decided to find my first post in the forums, as I had been lurking for a little before I posted. It was to enter this self-same competition.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-06, 10:27 PM
I am legitimately excited to see what people will cook up.

dysprosium
2013-08-08, 07:49 PM
Working hard on my build. Most of the table is done.

Going to make it all fluffy . . .

Humble Master
2013-08-08, 08:02 PM

Going to make it all fluffy . . . Fluffy is good.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-08, 08:31 PM
Nah, no time to build for this. Damn, I had a neat idea.

OH well, guess that I'll judge this round.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-09, 06:25 PM

Going to make it all fluffy . . .

Fluff is a great way to impress the judges! Also, bribery. Bribery works wonders.

Snowbluff
2013-08-09, 09:14 PM
Ugh, I've been too busy helping people move and painting etc. :smallfrown:

dysprosium
2013-08-10, 12:37 AM
Just submitted my build. Hope you like it!

Good luck everyone!

mattie_p
2013-08-10, 10:37 PM
A little under 24 hours left, need to gauge who is left to enter. I have one maybe, and one full entry so far.

I will try to choose a more accessible book next time, it seems this one is hard to find amongst interested competitors. Core + Completes. Any other books that would interest sauciers?

Humble Master
2013-08-11, 12:16 AM
A little under 24 hours left, need to gauge who is left to enter. I have one maybe, and one full entry so far.

I will try to choose a more accessible book next time, it seems this one is hard to find amongst interested competitors. Core + Completes. Any other books that would interest sauciers? I would be interested in a Tome of Battle competition. I just love that book so much.

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 10:04 PM
Very well, the time for entries being surpassed according to my timepiece, the period for unveiling has begun. Please refrain from posting until all entries are here.

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 10:06 PM
Try this on for size, boys.

Baroness Anastasia Cisarovna

Basics
"Do you like snakes? Well you are going to love me . . ."
http://www.blackgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/The_Baroness_by_AdamHughes-283x350.jpg
NE female human afflicted wereserpent Archivist 10/Snakelord 5
32 point buy
humanoid form: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 14
hybrid/animal form: Str 14, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 14
all level ability increases go to Intelligence

Build
{table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Level Adjustment +1|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|Iron Will (B), Toughness (B)| alternate form, constrict (1d3+6), curse of lycanthropy, DR 5/silver, improved grab, low light vision, scent, serpent empathy
2nd| Level Adjustment +2|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-

3rd|Archivist 1|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2| Decipher Script 2, Handle Animal 2, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, Knowledge (history) 4, Knowledge (nature) 4, Knowledge (religion) 4, Profession (scribe) 2, Search 2, Spellcraft 2|Archivist of Nature, Scribe Scroll (B), Snake Blood |dark knowledge (tactics) 3/day

4th|Serpent HD 1|
+0|
+4|
+2|
+2| Balance 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Listen 1, Spot 1| |

5th|Archivist 2|
+1|
+5|
+2|
+3| Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) 1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Spellcraft +1|Knowledge Devotion|lore mastery

6th|Serpent HD 2|
+2|
+6|
+3|
+3| Balance +1, Escape Artist +1, Hide +1, Listen +1, Spot +1| |

7th|Archivist 3|
+2|
+6|
+4|
+3| Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) 1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Spellcraft +1| |dark knowledge 4/day

8th|Serpent HD 3|
+3|
+6|
+4|
+4| Balance +1, Escape Artist +1, Hide +1, Listen +1, Spot +1|Draconic Archivist|
9th|Archivist 4|
+4|
+7|
+4|
+5| Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) 1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Spellcraft +1| |still mind
10th|Archivist 5|
+4|
+7|
+4|
+5| Decipher Script +1, Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1| |dark knowledge (puissance)
11th|Archivist 6|
+5|
+8|
+5|
+6| Escape Artist +1, Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1|Combat Reflexes|dark knowledge 5/day
12th|Snakelord 1|
+6|
+10|
+7|
+6| Escape Artist +1, Handle Animal +1, Intimidate 1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Listen +2, Spot +2, Survival 1| |animal bond, detect animals, wild empathy
13th|Archivist 7|
+6|
+10|
+7|
+6| Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Search +1, Spellcraft +1| |lore mastery
14th|Snakelord 2|
+7|
+11|
+8|
+6| Escape Artist +1, Handle Animal +1, Intimidate +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Listen +2, Spot +2, Survival +1|Chameleon Hide|first totem, low light vision (2)
15th|Archivist 8|
+8|
+12|
+8|
+7| Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Search +1, Spellcraft +1| |dark knowledge (foe)
16th|Snakelord 3|
+9|
+12|
+8|
+8| Escape Artist +1, Handle Animal +1, Intimidate +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Listen +2, Spot +2, Survival +1| |wild aspect 1/day
17th|Archivist 9|
+9|
+12|
+9|
+8| Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Search +1, Spellcraft +1|Practiced Spellcaster (Archivist)|dark knowledge 6/day
18th|Snakelord 4|
+10|
+13|
+10|
+8| Escape Artist +1, Handle Animal +1, Intimidate +2, Knowledge (nature) +1, Listen +2, Spot +2, Survival +1| |speak with animals
19th|Archivist 10|
+11|
+14|
+10|
+9| Decipher Script +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (history) +1, Knowledge (nature) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Knowledge (religion) +1, Search +1, Spellcraft +1|Spell Focus (conjuration)|

20th|Snakelord 5|
+12|
+14|
+10|
+9|Escape Artist +1, Handle Animal +1, Intimidate +2, Knowledge (nature) +1, Listen +2, Spot +2, Survival +1|Cloudy Conjuration |summon animals
[/table]

Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th
3rd|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
4th|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
5th|4|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
6th|4|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
7th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
8th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
9th|4|4|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
10th|4|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
1th|4|4|4|3|-|-|-|-|-|-
12th|4|4|4|3|-|-|-|-|-|-
13th|4|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-
14th|4|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-
15th|4|5|4|4|3|-|-|-|-|-
16th|4|5|4|4|3|-|-|-|-|-
17th|4|5|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-
18th|4|5|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-
19th|4|5|5|4|4|3|-|-|-|-
20th|4|5|5|4|4|3|-|-|-|-[/table]

Master of Vipers Emulations
{table=head]Master of Vipers abilities|Emulated by
handfang|Archivist spell list (handfang)
poison immunity|Snake Blood feat (bonus to poison saves)
hold serpent|Archivist spell list (hold animal)
ward serpent|Archivist spell list (snake barrier)
charm serpent|Archivist spell list (charm animals)
serpent reach|Archivist spell list (serpents of Theggeron)
serpent dart|Archivist spell list (serpent arrow)
summon serpent|Archivist spell list (summon monster/natures ally) and Snakelord 5
viper swarm|Archivist spell list (summon monster/natures ally)
great serpent|Chameleon Hide feat, wereserpent racial ability
swarm shape|none
translocate serpent|none[/table]

Design Notes
We all know that an Archivist can potentially get every divine spell under the gods’ green earth. So the only spells that are mentioned are the ones that specifically emulate one of the Master of Viper’s class abilities in the chart above. Having the Knowledge Devotion feat and the ability to apply dark knowledge to every type of monster adds to the Baroness’ versatility. As an afflicted wereserpent the Baroness is a lot like the yuan-ti she is emulating here. Adding the Snakelord prestige class enhances her affiliation with snakes. Less the loss of casting ability hurts but we’re sacrificing spells for more snake powers! And who would want to disappoint the Baroness’ wants?

Source List
Book of Vile Darkness: serpents of Theggeron spell
Complete Adventurer: Snakelord prestige class
Complete Champion: Knowledge Devotion feat
Complete Mage: Cloudy Conjuration feat
Heroes of Horror: Archivist class, Archivist of Nature and Draconic Archivist feats
Oriental Adventures: snake barrier spell
Players Guide to Faerun: Snake Blood feat
Serpent Kingdoms: wereserpent, Chameleon Hide feat, handfang, serpent arrow spell

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 10:08 PM
Listen to what this serpent says.

Tsssarmhttp://images.elfwood.com/art/r/o/romalley/yuanti.gif
Fluff
Born and raised in a jungle enclave, Tsssarm didn't actually realise that the slaves his clan held were sentient until a band of human and elven adventurers came and destroyed half of the enclave.

The rest were, of course, sacrificed to the World Serpent. Tsssarm went into seclusion in the deep jungle, contemplating revenge. It was there that he discovered the power that could be attained by embracing the slithering heritage in his veins. The pure essence of serpents, undiluted by concepts such as honor, loyalty or betrayal. There was only the thrill of the hunt, kill or be killed.

He chose to kill.

1st|RHD 1|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Balance 4, Escape Artist 2, Listen 4, Spot 4, Survival 2|Combat Reflexes|

2nd|RHD 2|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Balance 5, Escape Artist 2.5, Listen 5, Spot 5, Survival 2.5||

3rd|LA +1|
-|
-|
-|
-|||

4th|Deadly Hunter Druid 1|
+2|
+2|
+3|
+5|Concentration 4, Escape Artist 3, Handle Animal 1|Multigrab, TrackB|Favored enemy (humanoid [human]), monk AC bonus, nature sense, urban companion, wild empathy

5th|Deadly Hunter Druid 2|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+6|Concentration 7, Escape Artist 3.5, Handle Animal 3||Woodland stride

6th|Deadly Hunter Druid 3|
+4|
+3|
+4|
+6|Concentration 8, Escape Artist 4, Handle Animal 5, Knowledge (nature) 2||Fast movement +10ft, trackless step

7th|Deadly Hunter Druid 4|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+7|Concentration 9, Handle Animal 9, Survival 3.5|Martial Study (Mountain Hammer), Strong StomachB|Iron constitution

8th|Deadly Hunter Druid 5|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+7|Concentration 10, Handle animal 10, Survival 7.5||Favored enemy (humanoid [elf])

9th|Snakelord 1|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+7|Escape Artist 8, Survival 9.5||Animal bond, detect animals, wild empathy

10th|Snakelord 2|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+7|Escape Artist 12, Survival 11.5|Greater Multigrab|First totem, low-light vision

11th|Snakelord 3|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+8|Escape Artist 13, Listen 7, Spot 7, Survival 12.5||Wild aspect 1/day

12th|Snakelord 4|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Escape Artist 14, Listen 9, Spot 9, Survival 13.5||Speak with animals

13th|Snakelord 5|
+10/+5|
+8|
+8|
+8|Escape Artist 15, Listen 11, Spot 11, Survival 14.5|Martial Stance (Crushing Weight of the Mountain)|Summon animals

14th|Snakelord 6|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+9|Escape Artist 16, Listen 13, Spot 13, Survival 15.5|Improved InitiativeB|Second totem, wild aspect 2/day

15th|Snakelord 7|
+12/+7/+2|
+9|
+9|
+9|Escape Artist 17, Listen 15, Spot 15, Survival 16.5||Animal growth

16th|Snakelord 8|
+13/+8/+3|
+10|
+10|
+9|Escape Artist 18, Listen 17, Spot 17, Survival 17.5|Rending Constriction|Animal telepathy

17th|Snakelord 9|
+14/+9/+4|
+10|
+10|
+10|Escape Artist 19, Listen 19, Spot 19, Survival 18.5||Wild Aspect 3/day

18th|Snakelord 10|
+15/+10/+5|
+11|
+11|
+10|Escape Artist 20, Listen 20, Spot 20, Survial 19.5, Concentration 11||Third totem

19th|Deadly Hunter Druid 6|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+12|
+12|
+11|Concentration 17|Practiced Spellcaster (Druid)|Fast movement +20ft

20th|Deadly Hunter Druid 7|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+12|
+12|
+11|Concentration 23||[/table]

General
NE male anthropomorphic constrictor deadly hunter druid 7/snakelord 10

Ability Scores (ECL 4, following racial modifiers) Strength: 18 (+4) Dexterity: 18 (+4) Constitution: 17 (+3) Intelligence: 14 (+2) Wisdom: 16 (+3) Charisma 8 (-1)Ability modifier at ECL 5 goes to Constitution, the rest go to Strength

Final stats (naked):
Strength: 22 (+6)
Constitution: 18 (+4)
Dexterity: 20 (+5)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 8 (-1)

Spellcasting
Spells per day
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-

4th|3|1|-|-|-

5th|4|2|-|-|-

6th|4|2|1|-|-

7th|5|3|2|-|-

8th|5|3|2|1|-

9th|5|3|2|1|-

10th|5|3|2|1|-

11th|5|3|2|1|-

12th|5|3|2|1|-

13th|5|3|2|1|-

14th|5|3|2|1|-

15th|5|3|2|1|-

16th|5|3|2|1|-

17th|5|3|2|1|-

18th|5|3|2|1|-

19th|5|3|3|2|-

20th|6|4|3|2|1[/table]

Playing Tsssarm
I've designed Tsssarm to be more of an NPC than a PC - despite that, he is playable. He is notably stronger at lower optimization levels, where his rending constriction feat will actually get some use.

At low levels, he works as a melee druid. Although he has no armor, he gets his Wisdom bonus to AC, and he has his own Natural armor. He uses a Longspear to get himself reach (using his bite for adjacent foes), and his Combat Reflexes feat lets him nab a ton of AoOs if they think to try and avoid his attacks by moving.

As he gains levels, he shifts to a primary melee role, making the best of his grappling feats to tie up multiple party members. His spells get shifted to the backseat in a support role, but thankfully, Druids get some nice buffing spells.

Emulating the Master of VipersEntry Requirements: Anthropomorphic Snake might not get the neat SLAs or mental adjustments, but they get pretty nice physical scores and a way lower ECL to make up for it. He's cast as a NE antagonist, which fits the racial profile.

Basics: Deadly Hunter Druid ACF gives up the armor proficiencies (like the MoV doesn't get any proficiencies). He's got a base +12 Fortitude save, giving him a pretty good shot at making the saves of any poisons.

SLAs: Druid spells can replicate most of these (with a wider application!) - hold animal, charm animal, summon nature's ally, etc.... Tsssarm can use the druid 2 spell Lava Darts (SK) as a fire-type magic missile spell that doesn't allow SR to replace serpent darts. Instead of ward serpents, he's got access to the hide from animals spell, which is functionally the same thing.

Snakelord fits thematically, and gives some back-up options in case I need to prepare different things in Tsssarm's spell slots. Do note that the Wild Aspect for Snakelord gives me a poisonous bite... and venomfire is in Serpent Kingdoms.:smallbiggrin:

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 10:10 PM
I just post, you decide.

The Shriveled Sacred Serpent
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/287/a/a/serpent_devil_by_dystoper-d4ctrg2.jpg
CG Gravetouched Ghoul Human
Wu Jen 5/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 5/Prestige Savage Bard 2/Abjurant Champion 5

Sssspecifics

{table=head]Ability|Point Buy|Racial|Level|Final
Strength|16|2|+0|18
Dexterity|14|+4|+0|18
Constitution|8|--|+0|--
Intelligence|18|+2|+5|25
Wisdom|8|+0|+4|12
Charisma|8|+2|+0|10[/table]

The Shrivelled Serpent

1st|Wu Jen 1|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Concentration 4, Knowledge (arcana) 2, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 2, Knowledge (local) 4, Knowledge (religion) 2, Knowledge (the planes) 2, Perform 2, Use Magic Device 2|Extend Spell, Improved Unarmed Strike, Multiattack, Point Blank Shot|Watchful Spirit

2nd|Wu Jen 2|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Concentration +1 -> 5, Knowledge (arcana) +1 -> 5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +2 -> 4, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 3, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 3, Perform -> +˝ -> 2˝, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 2˝|-|-

3rd|Wu Jen 3|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Concentration +1 -> 6, Knowledge (nature) +2 -> 5, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 4, Perform +˝ -> 3, Spellcraft +3 -> 3, Perform +˝ -> 3, Spellcraft +1 -> 4, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 3|Improved Grapple|Spell Secret (shield, Extend)

4th|Wu Jen 4|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Concentration +1 -> 7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1 -> 5, Knowledge (local) +1 -> 5, Knowledge (nature) +1 -> 6, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 4, Perform +˝ -> 4, Spellcraft +1 -> 5, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 3˝|Collector of Stories (skill trick)|-

5th|Warblade 1|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+4|Balance +8 -> 8, Concentration +1 -> 8, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 4|-|Battle Clarity, Weapon Aptitude

6th|Bloodstorm Blade 1|
+4|
+5|
+1|
+4|Concentration +1 -> 9, Perform +1 -> 4˝, Spellcraft +2 -> 6, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 4˝|Scorpion's Grasp|Returning Attacks

7th|Bloodstorm Blade 2|
+5|
+6|
+1|
+4|Concentration +1 -> 10, Knowledge (local) +˝ -> 5˝, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 5, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 5, Perform +˝ -> 5, Spellcraft +1 -> 7, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 5|-|Martial Throw, Thunderous Throw

8th|Jade Phoenix Mage 1|
+6|
+8|
+1|
+4|Concentration +1 -> 11, Knowledge (local) +˝ -> 6, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 6, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 6, Perform +˝ -> 5˝, Spellcraft +˝ -> 7˝, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 5˝|-|Arcane Wrath, Rite of Awakening

9th|Jade Phoenix Mage 2|
+7|
+9|
+1|
+4|Concentration +1 -> 12, Knowledge (arcana) +˝ -> 5˝, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 7, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 7, Perform +˝ -> 6, Spellcraft +˝ -> 8, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 6|Knowledge Devotion|Mystic Phoenix Stance

10th|Jade Phoenix Mage 3|
+8|
+9|
+2|
+5|Concentration +1 -> 13, Knowledge (arcana) +˝ -> 6, KNowledge (dungeoneering) +1 -> 6, Knowledge (local +1 -> 7, Peform +˝ -> 6˝, Spellcraft +˝ -> 8˝, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 6˝|-|-

11th|Jade Phoenix Mage 4|
+9|
+10|
+2|
+5|Balance +1 -> 9, Concentration +1 -> 14, Knowledge (arcana) +1 -> 7, Knowledge (nature) +1 -> 7, Perform +˝ -> 7, Spellcraft +˝ -> 9, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 7|-|Empower Strike

12th|Jade Phoenix Mage 5|
+10|
+10|
+2|
+5|Concentration +1 -> 15, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1 -> 7, Knowledge (local) +1 -> 8, Perform +˝ -> 7˝, Spellcraft +1 -> 10, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 7˝|Combat Casting|-

13th|Abjurant Champion 1|
+11|
+10|
+2|
+7|Concentration +1 -> 16, Knowledge (arcana) +1 -> 8, Knowledge (nature) +1 -> 8, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 8, Perform +˝ -> 8, Spellcraft +1 -> 11, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 8|-|Abjurant Armor, Extended Abjuration

14th|Prestige Savage Bard 1|
+12|
+12|
+2|
+9|Concentration +1 -> 17, Knowledge (arcana) +1 -> 10, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +2 -> 9, Knowledge (local) +2 -> 10, Knowledge (nature) +2 -> 9, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 9, Knowledge (the planes) +2 -> 9, Spellcraft +1 -> 12, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 8˝|-|Bardic Music, Loresong

15th|Prestige Savage Bard 2|
+12|
+13|
+2|
+10|Concentration +1 -> 18, Knowledge (arcana) +1 -> 11, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +2 -> 11, Knowledge (local) +1 -> 11, Knowledge (nature) +2 -> 11, Knowledge (religion) +2 -> 11, Knowledge (the planes) +2 -> 11, Spellcraft +1 -> 13, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 9|Ancestral Relic|-

16th|Abjurant Champion 2|
+13|
+13|
+2|
+11|Concentration +1 -> 19, Knowledge (arcana) +2 -> 13, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +2 -> 13, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 12, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 9˝|-|Swift Abjuration

17th|Abjurant Champion 3|
+14|
+14|
+3|
+11|Concentration +1 -> 20, Knowledge (local) +1 -> 12, Knowledge (nature) +1 -> 12, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 12, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 12, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 10|-|-

18th|Abjurant Champion 4|
+15|
+14|
+3|
+12|Concentration +1 -> 21, Knowledge (local) +1 -> 13, Knowledge (nature) +1 -> 13, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 13, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 13, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 1˝|Wild Cohort (giant constrictor snake)|Arcane Boost

19th|Abjurant Champion 5|
+16|
+14|
+3|
+12|Concentration +1 -> 22, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1 -> 14, Knowledge (local) +1 -> 14, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 14, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 14, Use Magic Device +˝ -> 11|-|Martial Arcanist

20th|Wu Jen 5|
+16|
+14|
+3|
+12|Concentration +1 -> 23, Knowledge (arcana) +2 -> 15, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1 -> 15, Knowledge (local) +2 -> 16, Knowledge (nature) +2 -> 15, Knowledge (religion) +1 -> 16, Knowledge (the planes) +1 -> 15|-|-[/table]

Ssssssssspells per day

1st|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-

12th|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-

13th|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-

14th|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-

15th|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-

16th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-

17th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-

18th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-

19th|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-

20th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-[/table]

Ssssspellbook (level)
Accuracy (1)
Charm Person (1)
Disguise Self(1)
Mage Armor(1)
Protection from Evil (1)
Protection from Law (1)
Protection from Chaos (1)
Shield (1)
Summon Monster I (1)
Twilight Luck(1)
Blur (2)
Darkness (2)*†
Hypnotic Pattern (2)*†
Kiss of the Toad (2)
Luminous Armor(2)
Resist Energy (2)
Brilliant Emanation (3)
Displacement (3)
Fear (3)*†
Magic Circle Against Evil (3)
Stinking Cloud (3)
Charm Monster (4)
Greater Luminous Armor(4)
Snake Darts (4)
Sunmantle (4)
Hold Monster (5)
Metal Skin (5)
Shadow Walk (5)†
Summon Nature's Ally V (5)†
Exalted Raiment (6)
Reincarnate (6)
Greater Dispel Magic (6)
Summon Nature's Ally VI (6)
Body Outside Body (7)
Decapitating Scarf(7)
Energy Immunity (7)
Giant Size (7)

*Must be purchased.
†From wild bard list.

Note that this is the bare minimum spells needed for this build, counting almost exclusively spells obtained through leveling. Other spells (such as the Heart of X spells, Limited Wish, and more bard spells) will greatly improve power and flexibility.

Warblade Maneuverssssss (maneuver level; character level obtained):
Action Before thought (2; 5)
Wall of Blades (2, 5)
Emerald Razor (2, 5)
Foehammer (2, 8)
Entangling Blade (4, 10)
Tide of Chaos(5, 12)

Sssssstances (stance level; character level obtained):
Hunter's Sense (1, 5)
Thicket of Blades (3, 12)

Ancesssssstral Relic:
+1 keen cursespewing, spell-storing, throwing, sudden stunning, spellblade, spellblade, sizing, vanishing necklace of natural attacks.

This assumes the interpretation of the necklace of natural attacks that says that throwing can be added to it. If not, this should be a similar longsword worth up to 360,000 GP.

How the build playsssss
Levels 1-5
Soisang, the Shriveled Serpent, is something of an oddity. For one, he's a Good ghoul. His parents were worshippers of Doresain who sacrificed him to their dread god and ate him. What remained Doresain raised as an unholy abomination, but while the transformation gave him appetites for strange flesh it failed to change his essential good nature. He fled his parents and eventually found someone willing to teach him magic despite the fact that he was undead. His appetites remained, but he was able to sate them with the flesh of pigs.

At these levels Soisang is a primary caster focusing on buffs and some debuffs. He can give shield, deflection, and armor bonuses to AC, as well as providing a blurring effect and protection from energy damage. Starting at level 5, he also gains the ability to replace his abominable Reflex save with his concentration check and to deflect attacks with an attack roll. This latter effect is probably best spent on touch attacks, as his buffed AC should be higher than his attack roll, even boosted by his considerable Strength.

All in all, these are Soisang's roughest levels. He hasn't bought off his level adjustment yet, and so is a spell level behind. He should focus on keeping himself out of danger and using his spells to protect frontliners.

Levels 6-10
When he had finished his apprenticeship Soisang left his master and went traveling. He joined a group of traveling halflings, and learned throwing skills from them. He rapidly became very skilled at throwing weapons, even becoming able to use a thrown weapon to grab onto a target.

Soisang rapidly improves his melee abilities. At 6th and again at 9th levels he buys off his LA and soon catches up with the party. With bloodstorm blade levels and scorpion's grasp he can now initiate ranged grapples, and he puts his prodigious Intelligence to good use with Knowledge Devotion. He also gains some new spells, most notably stinking cloud, in which he is perfectly capable of functioning.

Levels 11-15
Soisang eventually left his halfling friends and began studying magic and the martial arts in equal earnest. He especially improved his skill in protective magics, learning to make them last longer and protect more thoroughly.

Eventually his travels led him to join the Harpers. His skills impressed them, and together they sought out opportunities to exterminate undead that didn't keep as tight of a rein on their desires as Soisang. From the Harpers Soisang learned how to incorporate music into his magic, a turn which allowed him to expand his spellbook in new and unexpected ways. When he parted from the Harpers to again study his arts alone, he was presented with an ancient amulet that had previously belonged to a wemic harper that enhanced his bite and claws.

Now Soisang leaves jade phoenix mage for abjurant champion and prestige savage bard. He gains some quite useful new spells, including iron skin greater luminous armor and snake darts. Notably, he can cast greater luminous armor (and other sanctified spells) without taking the normal Strength damage. His abjurations are also automatically extended now, saving spell slots, and has reached the equivalent of 3/4 BAB. Finally, at level 15, he gains a necklace of natural attacks as an ancestral relic, which allows him to throw his claws and teeth to initiate grapples.

Levels 16-20
As Soisang grew more and more powerful, he developed his signature style of protecting himself with spells and then grappling and tearing at his foes. Eventually he gained the service of a great serpent, from whom he learned new techniques in wrestling. He also learned to expand his body, putting all but the most colossal creatures at his mercy in the ring.

These levels are something of a mixed bag. On the one hand, many enemies have freedom of movement. On the other hand, Soisang now has the spells body out of body and giant size, which greatly increase his ability to grapple and deal with enemies. His clones can grapple on their own and can also initiate maneuvers, and his wild cohort (a giant constrictor) can also grapple for him.

A Sssserpent's Sssssecret
How the Shriveled Serpent duplicates the Master of Viper's abilities:
{table=head]Master of Vipers Ability/Prerequisite|Hidden Hunger Ability
Yuan-ti SLAs|Spells
Yuan-ti alternate form|Polymorph
Handfang|Scorpion's Grasp, poison
Poison Immunity|Undead
Hold Serpent|Hold monster
Ward Serpents|Protection from evil (partial)
Charm Serpent|Charm monster
Serpent Dart|Snake darts
Serpent Reach|Thunderous Throw
Summon Serpents|Summon nature's ally
Viper Swarm|Couldn't replicate. :smallsadface:
Great Serpent|Polymorph, Hunter's Stance
Swarm Shape|Polymorph
Translocate Serpent|Dimension door[/table]

Non-SssssssRD Sssssssources
Book of Exalted Deeds – Ancestral Relic, Spells
Complete Arcane – Wu Jen, Spells
Complete Champion – Knowledge Devotion
Complete Mage – Abjurant Champion
Dungeonscape – Loresong ACF
Libris Mortis – Gravetouched Ghoul
Magic Item Compendium – Weapon special abilities
Player's Guide to Faerun – Weapon special abilities
Sandstorm – Scorpion's Grasp
Savage Species – Necklace of natural attacks
Tome of Battle – Bloodstorm Blade, Jade Phoenix Mage, Warblade, Maneuvers
Wild Life (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) - Wild Cohort

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 10:11 PM
And that's the lot. A smaller pool, this time, but I think you'll enjoy what our competitors have produced. Allez Judges!

Humble Master
2013-08-11, 10:22 PM
Interesssting buildsss we have got here. I look forward to ssseeing what the judgesss have to sssay. Hmm, I might be overdoing the sssnake thing ssslightly.

Alssso, any hits asss to what the next competition will be?

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 10:27 PM
Interesssting buildsss we have got here. I look forward to ssseeing what the judgesss have to sssay. Hmm, I might be overdoing the sssnake thing ssslightly.

Alssso, any hits asss to what the next competition will be?

In the books post, you suggested ToB. We did Warblade in round 8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256004), so not anytime soon, I think.

I'm just looking for some general feedback on the subject, as my first campaign specific book use seemed to fall flat, in my opinion, at least.

The next competition will be from Core+Completes, more specific I cannot say at the moment, as I need to narrow down the various ingredients I've been vetting for a while.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-11, 10:41 PM
In your defense, however, you used a relatively obscure book - it's famous for Sarrukh and Venomfire, but nothing else. Something out of a Campaign Setting book (like, say, Harper Agent or Exorcist of the Silver Flame) probably would have been better received.

I'd like to see something sneaky for next time.

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 11:40 PM
In your defense, however, you used a relatively obscure book - it's famous for Sarrukh and Venomfire, but nothing else. Something out of a Campaign Setting book (like, say, Harper Agent or Exorcist of the Silver Flame) probably would have been better received.

Possibly, I'll definitely consider that for future competitions. Part of the reason I am soliciting input on potential book sources is to ensure we get a healthy dose of competition. I don't want to unnecessarily exclude a segment of the interested population due to obscurity of the source.

I'd like to see something sneaky for next time.

Didn't we just do epic infiltrator last round? What do you people want from me!?! :smalltongue: One of the options I am looking at has some stealth associated with the class, but no promises.

Snowbluff
2013-08-12, 12:00 AM
Sorry I couldn't compete. I got crazy busy really fast. I was going to use a Tainted One to become snakes and be a Druid with the stat boosting ACF. I'd use SNA to summon snakes and blah blah blah. And Venom Fire with the Snake Venom.

I suggest an online class. That way everyone would have access to it.

dysprosium
2013-08-12, 08:37 AM
Glad we got three builds for this one.

Now here's an interesting question: are there any judges slated?

As for SI choice, I understand you want to include all possible contestants, but here's a flip side thought:

What about when an ingredient is popular/readily available but the contestants are busy with real life?

Snowbluff was going to compete in this one but real life got in the way. There could be situations where all of the "regulars" would have real life obligations that would preclude us from entering/judging.

I guess my point here is pick what you think are interesting ingredients.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-12, 12:30 PM
I am judging. Have not yet made my final decision for any scores. This are interesting, so I am taking my time.

mattie_p
2013-08-12, 12:34 PM
I am judging. Have not yet made my final decision for any scores. This are interesting, so I am taking my time.

Since this is your first time judging, I would recommend you review past competitions to see how the judges scored. You could also look at the IC for noobs thread I linked in the FAQ post for ideas.

dysprosium
2013-08-12, 01:01 PM

No problem. I wasn't trying to rush you; I was just curious.

BTW my build is the one that emulates Master of Vipers. :smallwink:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-12, 01:04 PM
No problem. I wasn't trying to rush you; I was just curious.

BTW my build is the one that emulates Master of Vipers. :smallwink:

Dammit, my build emulates that too. Not cool, man.:smalltongue:

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-12, 09:02 PM
Since this is your first time judging, I would recommend you review past competitions to see how the judges scored. You could also look at the IC for noobs thread I linked in the FAQ post for ideas.

Went over all that. I amvalmost done scoring.

mattie_p
2013-08-14, 11:05 AM
Any progress on judging? Also, are there any other interested judges? I'd like to be able to get two judges per round, if possible.

If ZamielVanWeber is able to judge quickly, and there is no other interest, I might start the next round sooner.

Still narrowing down selections, but I have decided we are going to do a base class next round, not a prestige class.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-14, 05:30 PM
I lost my sheet with my notes. I should have it up late tonight/early tomorrow.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-15, 04:51 PM
Okay, here we go:

Baronness Anastasia Cisarovna:
Innovation 2

This really came across as more of an Archivist who happened to start with were serpent and randomly jumped into Snakelord. I was hoping you would surprise me when I saw Archivist, so I was a bit disappointed when I saw those that levels of snakelord. You rely almost entirely on your spells to accomplish the ingredient.

Power 4
You still open with ten solid levels of Archivist with were-snake to back it up. The snakelord does not synergize well with your Archivist levels, so that definitely weighs you down.

Elegance 5
Simple, with feats the supplement the build and no zaniness. The definition of elegance.

Ingredient 3
You use spells to capture the mechanics of the yuan-ti and most of the snakelord's abilities (okay, weresnake tosses one in too), but rely too heavily on being a weresnake to really capture the feel of the Master of Vipers.

Tsssarm:
Innovation 4
Here I am really appreciating the feel of using Savage Hunter Druid. Combined with your snake-y form and Snakelord, you really captured the essence of a Master of Vipers while having a little more fun doing it.

Power 4
RHD always represent a cut in power unfortunately, but here you try to synergize your non spell casting abilities, coming up with quite the snake in the grass.

Elegance 5
Again we see two classes, these one a bit more synergistic (just a bit mind you). Very much the soul of elegance.

Ingredient 5
*sings* Sssssnaaaakkeee in the GRASSSSSSS *done singing* Again, we see spells being the primary way of replicating the Master of Vipers. The big upside here is the flavor being nailed by the race, class, and PrC chosen. You are not a Master of the Serpents, but you are so much one with them that you really deserve a top score here.

Soisang:
Innovation 5
Wow... just wow. A bunch of unusual options, including a personal favorite or mine: Wu Jen. It took a few readings to appreciate what you were trying to achieve, but I was really impressed on how you got there. Also congratulations on finding a way to become immune to poison

Power 5
With the most caster levels out of anyone and maneuvers to boot (not too mention undead type), you are by far the strongest and would be an effective opponent, as well as useful ally, in many situations.

Elegance 3
Oh boy, 2 base classes, 4 PrCs, and a template to free yourself up from buying a Con score... You get points for jumping around far less then your build path implies, but that is as far as it goes.

Ingredient 4
You, again, use spells to copy the abilities. You do a very nice job, though, of emulating serpentine tactics through maneuvers and unique attacks, as opposed to raw snakey-ness.

Sorry for this taking so long/having such short descriptions. Losing all my notes set me back immensely.

mattie_p
2013-08-15, 06:01 PM
Thanks for judging, Zamiel. Competitors, if you have any comments on the judging, please pm me and I'll post them in order to preserve anonymity.

dysprosium
2013-08-16, 09:07 AM
All right! I'm in the top three!

Thanks for judging Zamiel!

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-16, 11:25 AM
Good work! I knew one of them had to be yours. I could feel it in my bones.

mattie_p
2013-08-17, 08:39 AM
Well, with one judge and no apparent interest from anyone else to do so, I will conclude this competition early. I'll wrap it up tonight and post a new competition. Let the speculation on the new ingredient begin.

Humble Master
2013-08-17, 09:00 AM
Imma take a wild stab and say Shining Blade of Heronious. Oh, wait. You can emulate that with just a magical sword. Never mind.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-17, 09:13 AM
I don't care either way. I will either judge or participate in the next one. This will be fun!

mattie_p
2013-08-17, 09:27 AM
Imma take a wild stab and say Shining Blade of Heronious. Oh, wait. You can emulate that with just a magical sword. Never mind.

I wonder, if I use that class as the Secret Ingredient, will all of the competitors have to re-create the epic fail?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-17, 09:45 AM
Power would be inverted. The stronger it is the worse they do.

mattie_p
2013-08-17, 09:54 PM
Well, the judgement is in, and I'm wrapping it up. Here are your final results:

{table]Place|Competitor|Entry|Points
1st|Kuulvheysoon|Tsssarm|18
2nd|Jeff the Green|Shriveled Serpent|17
3rd|dysprosium|Baroness|14[/table]

New Competition will be posted shortly...

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-17, 10:03 PM
Lol at the 2nd place switcheroo. It was a loy of fun judging. I should do it again... With 100% less note losing.

Humble Master
2013-08-17, 10:42 PM
Power would be inverted. The stronger it is the worse they do. But then everyone would just submit Half-Elf Commoners who own Shining Shocking Longswords and have taken Exotic Weapon Proficiency (random cruddy weapon) for all of his feats.

mattie_p
2013-08-17, 10:55 PM
Lol at the 2nd place switcheroo. It was a loy of fun judging. I should do it again... With 100% less note losing.

I have no idea what you are talking about. :smalleek::smallredface:

New competition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298478) is posted, by the way.

But then everyone would just submit Half-Elf Commoners who own Shining Shocking Longswords and have taken Exotic Weapon Proficiency (random cruddy weapon) for all of his feats.

Or a soulknife with all the Complete Psionic Dwarven urgrush mindblade (etc) feats?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-17, 10:59 PM
Then they all get 1 for innovation. Most creative failure wins.

mattie_p
2013-08-17, 11:02 PM
Then they all get 1 for innovation. Most creative failure wins.

Have you seen Iron Chef and Zinc Saucier? Most of the builds are failures - and usually creative. We suck in ways no one has ever dreamed of before!

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-17, 11:39 PM
And that sucking needs to go to a whole new level for Shining Blade.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-22, 10:10 AM
Nicely done, everyone!

It was an honour competing with you guys.