PDA

View Full Version : Typo in #753

Caesar
2013-07-31, 02:06 AM
Sixth panel, Tarquin says "Oh! Well, thank you very much, buY I'm soon to be married."

I blame microsoft and apple for putting all the keys on the same board, sheeesh.

Fale
2013-07-31, 02:45 AM
Rich is aware of it. It was mentioned in the comics discussion thread. It'll likely be corrected in the books but he rarely corrects typos in the webcomics.

coineineagh
2013-07-31, 03:02 AM
I blame microsoft and apple for putting all the keys on the same board, sheeesh.
Yes, putting the keys on different keyboards would make things so much easier.

Bulldog Psion
2013-07-31, 06:39 AM

I've often thought so. :smallwink: It would make my life as a professional freelancer absolutely peachy.

137beth
2013-08-01, 08:22 PM

Yea, it's almost like Microsoft and Apple copied the layout of letters on a keyboard from earlier type-writers...

TRH
2013-08-01, 09:54 PM
Yea, it's almost like Microsoft and Apple copied the layout of letters on a keyboard from earlier type-writers...

Funnily enough, I remember reading about a study that found that a keyboard designed to be as efficient as possible would let someone type 50% faster than on the qwerty configuration. Don't you love it when efficiency and innovation conquer all?

Menarker
2013-08-01, 10:30 PM
Funnily enough, I remember reading about a study that found that a keyboard designed to be as efficient as possible would let someone type 50% faster than on the qwerty configuration. Don't you love it when efficiency and innovation conquer all?

Not terribly surprising when you consider that QWERTY keyboards were designed to HINDER typists back in the days of the early typewriters where typing as fast as possible (even error-free) was a bad thing since the mechanical components would collide and block each other from completing their pass, thus leading to errors that would not have occurred in a digital setting that exists today.

brionl
2013-08-01, 10:52 PM

There's no keyboard that is "50% faster than qwerty". If you are talking about the Dvorak keyboard it is supposed to be 10% faster. However, those claims are largely based on a study done during WWII by the guy who invented it and was trying to sell it to the government for millions of dollars. Lets just say he may not have been an unbiased source. Other studies have shown you can get a similar increase in speed just by giving QWERTY typists a similar retraining course in basic typing.

http://reason.com/archives/1996/06/01/typing-errors

TRH
2013-08-01, 11:10 PM
There's no keyboard that is "50% faster than qwerty". If you are talking about the Dvorak keyboard it is supposed to be 10% faster. However, those claims are largely based on a study done during WWII by the guy who invented it and was trying to sell it to the government for millions of dollars. Lets just say he may not have been an unbiased source. Other studies have shown you can get a similar increase in speed just by giving QWERTY typists a similar retraining course in basic typing.

http://reason.com/archives/1996/06/01/typing-errors

Fair enough, then. I guess the status quo isn't as sub-optimal as I thought. Not a bad thing to find out.

EnragedFilia
2013-08-01, 11:15 PM
You could try comparing those keyboards to someone dictating through Siri. Then we can all see what sub-optimal is really like.

TRH
2013-08-01, 11:24 PM
You could try comparing those keyboards to someone dictating through Siri. Then we can all see what sub-optimal is really like.

I own an Iphone 4s. I am fully aware of the issues there. It's still useful to navigate apps that I'm too lazy to puzzle out how to operate manually, though. We're not talking about the comic at all anymore, are we?