PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Favored Soul advice

Thurbane
2013-07-31, 02:11 AM
So it's looks like I'm finally getting to play a Favored Soul in an upcoming game. It's a low-op group, so the class choice is fine. I don't plan to multiclass or PrC out at the moment. Start at 5th level, playing through until about 10 (RHoD).

Game is 25 point buy, and I'll be playing a human. I'm using Int and Wis as dump stats (I won't be taking any spells that allow a save, the impact of Wis on my DCs doesn't matter).

Main thing I'm stuck on is feat selection. Feats (for my character) are limited to PHB and Complete Divine. I would have liked to take Spontaneous Healer, but my Wisdom would make that not viable.

So what do you think would be three good feat selections?

Cheers - T

Khedrac
2013-07-31, 03:11 AM
Do you plan to be a melee Favoured Soul or a caster who can fight a little? It makes a big difference.

If you plan to be a melee favoured soul then you need things that boost yoru attack and damage - until you get Divine Power you BAB and relatively lower strength put you behind the curve compared to fighters but Power Attack can still be worth it if you have a 2handed weapon. Not having access to Complete Warrior will make this worse assuming the fighters do.

If you plan to be primairly a buffing caster then Extend Spell could be useful. Unfortunately I think Reach Spell is in Complete Arcane.

I have played a Favoured Soul and while fun, it is so sub-par compared to cleric - nearly all the "things" (feats, prestige classes etc) designed for divine casters require Turn Undead, or (at least) Knowledge Religion (check your skill list - you get Knowledge Arcane as it appears to be a direct copy of the sorceror's).

An Archery FS may work better - and the feats are more obvious. Good luck whichever way you take it.

EyethatBinds
2013-07-31, 08:19 AM
I personally house ruled that Favored Souls use Charisma only for determining their spells, and I added Knowledge Religion subtracting Knowledge Arcana. I thought it a bit strange that Favored Souls were chosen by their gods, yet know nothing about their deity or religion.

Agincourt
2013-07-31, 08:39 AM
This web enhancement suggests letting the Favored Soul choose at level 1 whether to have knowledge (arcana) or knowledge (religion):

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x

Rebel7284
2013-07-31, 09:09 AM
A dip into Sacred Exorcist would allow for Divine Metamagic[Quicken Spell]

Not sure what else to do with that limited book access xD

Thurbane
2013-08-01, 01:52 AM
Yeah, our group is pretty much core only. Current game is core + 1 book - since my base class is from CD, that's my +1 book.

Plus spells from the SC are allowed.

So look's like I'm going Improved Initiative, Augment Healing and Iron Will for my feats...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=622651

nedz
2013-08-01, 04:56 AM
Extend Spell for Lesser Vigor (etc.) should be better than Augment Healing; though there is a FAQ entry I believe which limits this to maximum duration so YMMV.

Ed: also FS can get you into Stormlord more easily due to the free weapon focus, but you are probably not interested in this.

Feilith
2013-08-01, 12:05 PM
Ask your DM if you can use a feat to gain turning a cleric. Mine let me have turning as a paladin after some consideration. Then take divine might, use a turning attempt to add cha to hit and damage. Youll get a few of these per day so itll boost your melee abilities if youre gonna be a front line fighter

DR27
2013-08-01, 12:29 PM
Too bad about the one book thing (and I find it a bit nonsensical, but that's another discussion) - I've found reasonable mileage out of Touch of Healing (CC) and Versatile Spellcaster (RotD).

Feats aren't a huge deal, since most of your power is via spells. Is there a reason that you are opting for CLW over Lesser Vigor? (which is in Complete Divine) You already have Close Wounds and Resurgence (in-combat healing/condition removal options) - Lesser Vigor would be a better out of combat healing spell and free up Augment Healing to Extend your 1st level buffs.

Thurbane
2013-08-02, 03:08 AM
Good points all, I'll think about swapping out CLW for Vigor...