PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Interaction between bags of holding, portable holes and artifacts

IronFist
2013-07-31, 02:41 AM
When a bag of holding is punctured or put inside a portable hole, all items within it are "lost forever". However, artifacts can't be destroyed normally.
Does this mean an artifact survives a bag of holding puncturing or being put in portable? Even if it does, an artifact that is immune to divination spells would be lost in the Astral Plane (and therefore be impossible to find) if it was put in a bag of holding then that bag of holding was thrown into a portable hole, right?

I'm asking specifically regarding the Rod of Seven Parts, I want to destroy one part of the rod so it can never be completed again, thus keeping the Queen of Chaos forever imprisioned.

Alleran
2013-07-31, 03:00 AM
The artifact is not, I would assume, destroyed. It is just lost, meaning you can never find it again.

A wish spell could locate it, however (picking you up and moving you to its location, since it would ignore the condition of "lost forever" by my reading).

Doorhandle
2013-07-31, 03:36 AM
Seems legit. Be aware that many artefacts have a bad habit of reappearing on their own, though, so it's a temporary solution for most of them.

TuggyNE
2013-07-31, 06:08 AM
Alleran has it right. I'd suggest, if you really really want to blow away an artifact, that you pull some different trick; for example, find some jerk level 1 NPC no one likes, find their truename, and have them hold the artifact while you unname them. Just for funsies, you can do the Ritual of Renaming first.

IronFist
2013-07-31, 10:47 PM
Alleran has it right. I'd suggest, if you really really want to blow away an artifact, that you pull some different trick; for example, find some jerk level 1 NPC no one likes, find their truename, and have them hold the artifact while you unname them. Just for funsies, you can do the Ritual of Renaming first.

Does that work in Pathfinder?

TuggyNE
2013-08-01, 01:57 AM
Does that work in Pathfinder?

Derp. No. *cries bitter tears*