PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Is this item OK?

IronFist
2013-07-31, 05:48 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with intelligent items, so I wanted to see the playground's opinion on this one.

I wanted a special weapon for a villain's lieutenant and I noticed intelligent items can get spell effects as a bargain. The wielder is a Rogue.

So this is an intelligent Wand of Scorching Ray (CL 11), with the ability to cast flame blade (3x/day) and dispel magic (1x/day). Since it can activate itself, it's a very good support item. Dispel is good for counterspells, of course, specially when the item can ready an action on its own.

The item is true neutral, with Int 14, Wis 10 and Cha 10, with 120ft senses and blindsense. It also sports 5 ranks in Perception and Spellcraft.

While I like the way it is, 41000gp is very expensive and I'm having trouble justifying would someone would sink that much money into that. Also, I'm not sure about a name for it...

Kudaku
2013-07-31, 07:05 AM
120 foot blindsense? A self-casting dispel magic? It's kind of all over the place.

As far as I know intelligent wands are not actually supported in the ruleworks, but if it's what you want to do then go for it.

I'm not crazy about allowing 120' blindsense from a custom item - the closest to that is the Circlet of Mindsight which comes with limitations on what can be detected, only has a 30 foot range, takes up a slot, and is priced at 22k by itself.

The wand using a Ready action to dispel magic... It is potentially useful or useless, depending on what level your characters are and what kind of opposition they come up against.

Psyren
2013-07-31, 08:35 AM
As Kudaku pointed out, intelligent wands are a no-go by RAW:

Only permanent magic items (as opposed to single-use items or those with charges) can be intelligent. (This means that potions, scrolls, and wands, among other items, are never intelligent.)

You could easily make it a dagger or bow however with the same abilities. Or a custom rod/other wondrous item that doesn't use charges.

IronFist
2013-07-31, 10:45 PM
As far as I know intelligent wands are not actually supported in the ruleworks, but if it's what you want to do then go for it.
In Pathfinder charded items can be intelligent. There is even a special ability for them to recover charges.

I'm not crazy about allowing 120' blindsense from a custom item - the closest to that is the Circlet of Mindsight which comes with limitations on what can be detected, only has a 30 foot range, takes up a slot, and is priced at 22k by itself.
Well, it's right there on the table for intelligent items.

Thiyr
2013-07-31, 10:54 PM
And if you want that in 3.5, the easy answer would be an eternal wand.

edit: also, looking at the pfsrd, it has the same language of charged items not being able to be intelligent, so technically the recharge property (which they actually say isn't official outright) technically is impossible to apply. But then again, i find it an interesting if overpriced option in the first place, so it works.