PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Bladesworn- A Magus Prestige Class [PEACH]

Elricaltovilla
2013-07-31, 11:13 AM
THE BLADESWORN

The mysterious Black Blades captivate many Maguses, smiths and historians for ages. Though these blades may bond with many different Maguses over the years, only a select few possess the dedication, drive, and most of all, desire to unlock the true power of their Black Blades. By swearing an oath to serve the goals of their blade, the Magus can embark on the path of the Bladesworn, becoming one with the most powerful weapons in exsistence.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements

Base Attack Bonus: +4

Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks, Knowledge (History) 6 ranks

Special: Black Blade class feature. And the Magus must dedicate themselves to individual cause of their black blade.

Skills:The Bladesworn's class skills are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge(History) (Int), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Level: 2+Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Bonus Arcane Pool|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Sworn to the Black Blade, Bonded Arcane Pool|0|-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Black Blade Enchantment|1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Extra Arcana|1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Black Blade Enchantment|2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Keenest Edge +1|2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Black Blade Enchantment, Extra Arcana|3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Empowered Spellstrike|3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+5|
+6|
+2|
+6|Black Blade Enchantment|4|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Extra Arcana|4|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Keenest Edge +2, Perfect Enchantment|5|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Sworn to the Black Blade: A Bladesworn's levels stack with magus class levels to determine the enhancement, ego and abilities of his Black Blade, the size of their Arcane Pool, what armors the magus can wear without incurring arcane spell failure chance, and the Magus Arcana they have access to. Because of the Magus's dedication to their black blade, they take a -2 penalty to any rolls made to disagree with their black blade or force it to go against its goals.

Bonded Arcane Pool: The Bladesworn and their black blade share a single Arcane Pool. Any features that would grant extra Arcane Points to either the black blade only or the Bladesworn only instead add Arcane Points to this pool. The size of the pool is equal to his normal Arcane Pool + his Black Blade's Arcane Pool + the bonus Arcane Points indicated on the table. Both the Bladesworn and the Black Blade can spend these arcane points without having to engage in an ego contest.

Black Blade Enchantment: At every even numbered level, the Bladesworn can select one magical weapon enchantment from the list of Magical Weapon Enchantments (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons). Whenever the Bladesworn uses his arcane pool to enchant his black blade he can choose to enchant his black blade with this enchantment in addition to the regular list of enchantments available from his arcane pool. The maximum bonus of these bonus enchantments cannot exceed 1/2 his bladesworn level (So a level 2 Bladesworn could add Heartseeker to his list of enchantments, but could not add Spell Stealing until he is at least a 6th level Bladesworn).

Keenest Edge: As the Bladesworn's skill with his black blade increases, its edge sharpens. At 5th level, the black blade's critical threat range increases by 1. This stacks with Keen and other similar effects, but is added after Keen or improved critical is applied. At 10th level, the Black Blade's critical threat range increases by 1 again, for a total of +2.

Empowered Spellstrike: At 7th level, the Bladesworn and the black blade work so well in concert that they empower the Bladesworn's magic. Whenever the Bladesworn makes a successful spellstrike attack, he can spend 1 point from his Arcane Pool to Empower the spell as a free action. This does not increase the spells effective level or casting time.

Perfect Enchantment: At 10th level, the Black Blade has reached the height of its power, select one enchantment with a bonus of +2 or less that you can place on the blade with your Arcane Pool. That enchantment is now permanently applied to the black blade and does not count towards the maximum enhancement bonus of the blade for purposes of your Arcane Pool.

Elricaltovilla
2013-08-02, 02:22 PM
Bumping in hopes of a P.E.A.C.H.ing

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-14, 05:10 PM
The Extra Arcana ability lets you gain an additional Magus Arcana, as the standard Magus, I would presume?

Do your Bladesworn levels stack with your Magus levels to determine which arcanas you can take?

Why do the skills only require 5 ranks, but it requires BAB +4 which the Magus doesn't get until level 6?

Elricaltovilla
2013-09-14, 06:03 PM
The Extra Arcana ability lets you gain an additional Magus Arcana, as the standard Magus, I would presume?

Yes.

Do your Bladesworn levels stack with your Magus levels to determine which arcanas you can take?

Yes, but I guess I didn't put that in.

Why do the skills only require 5 ranks, but it requires BAB +4 which the Magus doesn't get until level 6?

Because typo? It's supposed to be a 6th level entry regardless.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-14, 06:28 PM
Yes.

Yes, but I guess I didn't put that in.

Thanks.

Because typo? It's supposed to be a 6th level entry regardless.

So it's supposed to only require a +3 BAB for entry? Good to know.

One thing I'd like to point out: You can do Magus 3/Wizard 7/Bladesworn 10 to get 8th-level spells by level 19. You give up quite a bit though: You lose out on spell recall, 3 arcanas, and you need to give up armor or blow feats/gold getting around ASF. Two additional levels of spellcasting though is a pretty good deal, so this is definitely better than a straight Magus (especially because those features you give up can't be used with your wizard spells anyway).

The simplest fix is just to make it explicitly only advance magus casting.

Elricaltovilla
2013-09-14, 06:40 PM
No. 6th level magus entry. Hence the BAB requirement.

EDIT: as in you'd be able to take your first level at ECL 7

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-14, 06:49 PM
No. 6th level magus entry. Hence the BAB requirement.

EDIT: as in you'd be able to take your first level at ECL 7

Oooh, I see. My bad. Still love the idea though.

Elricaltovilla
2013-09-14, 07:56 PM
Oooh, I see. My bad. Still love the idea though.

I'm glad you like it. Its probably the most solid bit of homebrew I've designed and on quite fond of it.

13th Nemesis
2015-01-30, 04:36 PM
you will enjoy these novels.

Jennifer Roberson
Sword-Sworn
Sword-Breaker
Sword-Bound
Sword-Maker
Sword-Singer

always wanted to make a PrC based on them and you are very close.