PDA

View Full Version : Encounter suggestion

limejuicepowder
2013-07-31, 12:41 PM
OK so last night I dreamed about an awesome encounter (I'm serious, I actually dreamed I was running it). It involves a gladiator-like setting where the PC group must traverse a maze faster than an enemy NPC group. The two groups are allowed to attack each other, so ending the other party is a viable tactic to make sure you get to the end first. Additionally, there are traps and wandering monsters in the maze.

Here's where it gets tricky: among the monsters there are groups of dopplegangers impersonating each of the parties. The dopplegangers are protected by magic and cannot be harmed; further, if they are attacked, there's some terrible consequence.

Here's my question: how do I make the "figure out who the real enemy is" more than just a spot check vs the disguise check of the doppleganger? I know there some magical solutions, like true sight and read mind, but assume the party has low access to magic. What are some ways to make this more interesting for a mundane character?

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-31, 12:54 PM
Spot checks vs Disguise, yes. Also Sense Motive checks vs Bluff.

As for the doppelgangers being 'protected by magic and cannot be harmed', I would seriously recommend you determine specific effects behind this and stick to those. DM fiat on something like this can actually backfire as the party finds out about it and starts to try to figure out a way around it. It's easier on you if you know exactly the rules beforehand, against the eventuality they will start to ask questions.

Asrrin
2013-07-31, 12:54 PM
make sure to completely detail the NPC party to your Players' party before the event begins. Every time they run into an "npc party" only mention the details you described previously, but if it's the dopplegangers, make a few subtle changes in your description. For instance, the handedness of the fighter, the eye color of the mage, the height of the rogue.

limejuicepowder
2013-07-31, 06:15 PM
Spot checks vs Disguise, yes. Also Sense Motive checks vs Bluff.

As for the doppelgangers being 'protected by magic and cannot be harmed', I would seriously recommend you determine specific effects behind this and stick to those. DM fiat on something like this can actually backfire as the party finds out about it and starts to try to figure out a way around it. It's easier on you if you know exactly the rules beforehand, against the eventuality they will start to ask questions.

Yeah, I agree. Since I'm not actually running a game right now, and have no definitive plans to do so, chances are I will never run this encounter. If I did though, I would definitely have a better reason for the PC's to not just waste any and all life forms in the maze. I just wrote it as a (terrible) DM decree to save time explaining the situation.

make sure to completely detail the NPC party to your Players' party before the event begins. Every time they run into an "npc party" only mention the details you described previously, but if it's the dopplegangers, make a few subtle changes in your description. For instance, the handedness of the fighter, the eye color of the mage, the height of the rogue.

This is a great idea. Skill checks can even be incorporated - the character's spot check will determine how many features I list, and then they can make a int check to recall the information I gave at the beginning. Thus, high rolls will give a better chance of getting conflicting information.