PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Rogue/Cleric or Rogue/Monk 3.5

redzarnac
2013-07-31, 12:55 PM
I'm starting a new character, and I wanted to go rogue with an unconventional build. The character will be human, lawful evil, and it is in a custom campaign setting that doesn't have any of the normal gods, and it is mesopotamian focused. The theme I am also looking for is that of judgement or "divine assassination" due to the god I worship being an evil judge that condemns pretty much every offender for death. Just wondering which hybrid would be better, and how to do them.

Rebel7284
2013-07-31, 01:24 PM
Cleric > Monk....

You can also do Cleric/Swordsage

A.A.King
2013-07-31, 02:29 PM
What exactly do you picture with "Divine Assassination" because you don't have to be a Cleric or a Monk to be part of a religious order.

redzarnac
2013-07-31, 04:07 PM
I guess I don't actually have to be either, but I do like the idea of talking tovthe god and then channelling their power or something. That way I'm not just a follower of their church, I'm essentially a priest with divine powers as well. Really what I want is stealthiness with somebdivine powers or divine spellcasting.

eggynack
2013-07-31, 04:21 PM
Offhand, the single best representation for divine assassination is the ruby knight vindicator from Tome of Battle. The fact that it's a great class provides bonus points. If that's outside your book access, maybe you should try out a straight cleric. There aren't too many archetypes you can't fill with a cleric. Maybe go cloistered for the skill points, and pick up the trickery domain. That should be enough to get you started down the path to clerical sneakiness. No rogues or monks needed.

redzarnac
2013-07-31, 07:06 PM
It's just that I really enjoy sneak attack, so having no rogue means no sneak attack for the most part.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-31, 07:08 PM
I'd consider the Dragonlance class 'Nightstalker' from Races of Ansalon.

eggynack
2013-07-31, 07:42 PM
It's just that I really enjoy sneak attack, so having no rogue means no sneak attack for the most part.
Well, ruby knight vindicator picks up shadow hand, and shadow hand can get you assassin's stance, so that can get you something like sneak attack. Alternatively, maybe you could use the factotum from Dungeonscape, and call your inspiration points divine inspiration points. I mean, calling arcane casting divinely inspired is kinda weird, but it works alright. They also get a sneak attack thing, so it all adds up to a decent divinely inspired thief guy. Also, as in the case of the RKV, factotums are super cool.

Snowbluff
2013-07-31, 08:34 PM
Well, ruby knight vindicator picks up shadow hand, and shadow hand can get you assassin's stance, so that can get you something like sneak attack. Alternatively, maybe you could use the factotum from Dungeonscape, and call your inspiration points divine inspiration points. I mean, calling arcane casting divinely inspired is kinda weird, but it works alright. They also get a sneak attack thing, so it all adds up to a decent divinely inspired thief guy. Also, as in the case of the RKV, factotums are super cool.
The class is of the Stern Lady, so hide is a skill.

pilvento
2013-08-01, 08:59 AM
Yo are here forr the flavour and the coolness of divine reckoning. :smallcool:

Compelte divine, Black Flame Zealot, ask to use wis for death attack instead of int.

Slay your enemies from the dark in a single deadly hit and watch them consume in unholy flames, leaving no evidence of their existence...

geekintheground
2013-08-01, 09:41 AM
if dragon mag is allowed (at least i think thats where it is, i heard about it on the forums and it wasnt homebrew), sacred outlaw is great. its a feat that lets cleric and rogue levels stack for turning and sneak attack.

Karnith
2013-08-01, 09:46 AM
if dragon mag is allowed (at least i think thats where it is, i heard about it on the forums and it wasnt homebrew), sacred outlaw is great. its a feat that lets cleric and rogue levels stack for turning and sneak attack.
You remembered correctly; the feat can be found in Dragon Magazine 357.

Rebel7284
2013-08-01, 09:53 AM
If you can change the human to a halfling (Strongheart halflings are almost human anyway), you can try something like this:

Cloisted Cleric 1/Halfling Monk1/Scout 3/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7

Halfling Monk gives you skirmish.

Taking Improved Skirmish, Shadow Blade stance and Craven you end up with 4d6 Skirmish, 2d6+Character Level sneak attack. Travel Devotion gives you a way to trigger skirmish reliably.

A.A.King
2013-08-01, 11:28 AM
So what you want is a guy focused on both Sneak Attack and Divine Casting, and I'm guessing Divine Casting is more of an extra?

Consider Spellwarp Sniper, it advances casting 5/5 and it improves a form of sneak attack. And if your main weapons are rays, that is another reason to be a strongheart halfling instead. Small size doesn't effect damage when your main weapons are rays but it does affect your stealth and chances to hit. Being Halfling also qualifies you for "Yondalla's Sense" allowing you to add your probably high Wisdome Modifier to your Inititive checks.

Finally, the Darkness Domain could be very nice on a Cleric/Rogue. I'm especially looking at the 3th Level Domain spell "Blacklight". Within a certain area everyone except for the caster can't see, this should make sneak attacking very easy for you.

redzarnac
2013-08-01, 11:28 AM
I wish I could use Strongheart, but the campaign is also custom races. The only similar race is humans.