PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Blink Dog

Dawnmor
2013-07-31, 01:27 PM
Hope I get this in the right spot. New to the boards and all.

I am going to be playing a Blink dog next game and I am using this http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8325734&postcount=330 as the progression for the character.

Stats are 16, 18, 18, 14, 16, 14. Racial stats are +4 dex and +2 wis, we get an additional +2 due to the chaotic way that our GM made his world with all sorts of planes converging on one location *rolls eyes* :).

Anyways, we got a Force golem bullrusher, Kobold Wizard, A Mind stealing drone *Dumbed down*, a Cleric I believe, and a Small Fire elemental with a nice bad AC of 25!. I just died with my wizard so I am going to be playing a new character.

All books are allowed except for Dragon magazine.

People over on the MinMaxBoards.com suggests Monk 2, Swordsage 16. But im thinking all over the place but a fellow player AKA BLOB! suggested I play a Monk 2/Swordsage 16 to see how well a swordsage unarmed variant does in Mid to Late Game. Im personally curious myself but my problem is finding feats.

The Blink dog skills give me everything I want but Move silently and it was suggested I take the feat (Cosmopolitan (Move Silently)) so I can get that for all my classes.

Monk gives me everything I want. and so does Swordsage. Ill be focusing as much as I can around charging, attack Dimension door or blink away and get the occassional person out of danger as needed if I remember the Dimension door spell right.

Ill be starting out with the Standard GP for level 2 but my group and GM are getting alot of Gold soo it should balance things out. I am considering paying for a healing collar (Healing belt variant).

But I dont have any idea for planning beyond level 2 and those 2 levels are into Blink dog.

Any help that can be suggested or offered would be appreciated, thanks.

gorfnab
2013-07-31, 03:16 PM
Telflammar Shadowlord prestige class will net you Shadow Pounce which keys of of Dimension Door and other teleportation effects (ie. Shadow Jaunt, Stride, and Blink maneuvers from Swordsage).

Totemist will net you many more natural attacks and another source of Dim Door (Blink Shirt soulmeld).

Dawnmor
2013-07-31, 06:27 PM
Ok I Managed to do some of the work so here it is. Minus equipment.

Race: Blink dog
Special abilities: Blink and Dimension Door 2/day/HD

AC: 10 + 6 Dex + 5 Con (Blink dog ability) = 21

HP 26

Flaws: Shaky, Murky eyed

Str: 16
Dex 18 + 4 Racial = 22
Con 18 + 2 Chaos # = 20
Int 14
Wis 16 + 2 Racial = 18
Cha 14

I have Wis to AC from two different sources what does that mean? Do they stack?

I have Improved Unarmed fighting from two sources what does that mean ? (Unarmed Variant Swordsage *Imp Unarmed Strike*, Monk *Imp Unarmed Strike*)?

Now onto leveling progression: (Dog 2, Monk 2, SS 16)

Blink Dog 1: Flaw (Combat Expertise or Imp Initiative, Imp Natural Attack), 1st feat: Cosmopolitan (Move Silently)
Blink dog 2:
Sword Sage 1: Feat (Shadowblade)
Monk 1: +1 Wis
SS 2:
Monk 2: Evasion, Bonus Feat (Combat reflexes), Normal Feat Bonus: Imp Trip or Superior Unarmed Strike.
SS3:
SS4: +1 Wis
SS5: feat (Imp Initiative or ?)
SS6
SS7
SS8 Feat? +1 Wis
SS9
SS10
SS11 Feat?
SS12 +1 Wis
SS13
SS14 Feat?
SS15
SS16 +1 Wis

And of course you dont know the skills but im concentrating on Hide, Move silently, Spot, Listen, Tumble, not sure about Concentration.

Ill be trying to provide flanking and fighting unarmed but my knowledge of feats for such characters is slightly limited.

gorfnab
2013-07-31, 08:04 PM
I have Wis to AC from two different sources what does that mean? Do they stack?

D&D 3.5 FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a)

Does the Armor Class bonus ability from the monk,
swordsage, and ninja stack?
No, each of these abilities provides the same bonus. You
are not able to benefit from multiple sources that have the same
name more then once.

I have Improved Unarmed fighting from two sources what does that mean ? (Unarmed Variant Swordsage *Imp Unarmed Strike*, Monk *Imp Unarmed Strike*)?

If you have a nice DM he may allow them to stack, otherwise they unfortunately do not stack. If you use the build below (and a Monk's Belt) however, you don't really need to worry about that.

Try this build:
1. Blink Dog - Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative, Blind Fight - Flaws: Shaky, Murky Eyed
2. Blink Dog
3. Swordsage - Shadowblade
4. Cobra Strike ACF Monk - Dodge
5. Cobra Strike ACF Monk - Mobility
6. Swordsage - Adaptive Style
7. Swordsage
8. Swordsage
9. Shadow Sun Ninja - Dark Stalker
10. Shadow Sun Ninja
11. Shadow Sun Ninja
12. Shadow Sun Ninja - Superior Unarmed Strike
13. Shadow Sun Ninja
14. Shadow Sun Ninja
15. Shadow Sun Ninja - Gloom Razor
16. Shadow Sun Ninja
17. Shadow Sun Ninja
18. Shadow Sun Ninja - Improved Natural Attack, Snap Kick, or Elusive Target
19. Master of Nine
20. Master of Nine

Dawnmor
2013-07-31, 08:31 PM
Where is Cobra Strike ACF?

gorfnab
2013-07-31, 08:35 PM
Where is Cobra Strike ACF?
Unearthed Arcana (page 52) - it's a variant fighting style for monks that give different bonus feats. Also available in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cobraStrike)

Dawnmor
2013-07-31, 09:18 PM
out of cuirousity, Why Cobra ? instead of passive way ? which grants me the two pesky feats I think I need, but dodge and mobility im not sure what they do ? except make me harder to hit

Chronos
2013-07-31, 09:44 PM
Scout is also good on a Blink Dog, since you can always just blink to activate Skirmish.

gorfnab
2013-07-31, 11:15 PM
out of cuirousity, Why Cobra ? instead of passive way ? which grants me the two pesky feats I think I need, but dodge and mobility im not sure what they do ? except make me harder to hit
Dodge and Mobility are used when moving around the battlefield. Plus Dodge is a prerequisite for Master of Nine. Tripping can work, but without size and reach advantages it tends to not be that effective. Another way to go with my build would be to go with the Sleeping Tiger ACF Monk instead and grab Dodge and Darkstalker at first level. Then at 9th level pick up Gloom Razor and 15th pick up Snap Kick.