PDA

View Full Version : Amazing PF Paladin... Thats right Paladin... Help!...

Drake2009
2013-07-31, 02:49 PM
Ive got a pretty good idea.
Human/Half celestial Traits:not sure
ECL 4 Paladin 1
Str 22 +4
Dex 14 +2
Con 16 +2
Int 22 +4
Wis 15 +2
Cha 18 +4

Since hes gonna be a paladin i want int for skills and because i like having smart people.
Gonna be using grappling a lot and when not doing that using b sword and shield. I found a cool homebrew trait that makes me large but not sure what the other one should be.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-31, 03:49 PM
Did you roll these stats?
Is this a Pathfinder-only game, or a 3.P game, or is this just T.O?

Drake2009
2013-07-31, 04:45 PM
Did you roll these stats?
Is this a Pathfinder-only game, or a 3.P game, or is this just T.O?

Rolled them and its Pathfinder-only. Im pretty good with rolling d6. I get lots of practice with my Wizard fireball spammer.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-31, 05:19 PM
Okay, so it's Pathfinder only. Why are we adding monster templates, again? We're using homebrew traits in a Pathfinder-only game?

1. What sources could we look through to advise you?
2. What questions do you have about this character build, asides from just wanting general advise?

Drake2009
2013-07-31, 05:26 PM
Okay, so it's Pathfinder only. Why are we adding monster templates, again? We're using homebrew traits in a Pathfinder-only game?

1. What sources could we look through to advise you?
2. What questions do you have about this character build, asides from just wanting general advise?
Its a pathfinder version and its cool with the dm.
Sources from what i understand are all pathfinder books and probobly things like complete warrior and other add on books.

questions
Should i take a few levels of say fighter before paladin?
Should i focus on grapple, trip or bull rush?

Arbane
2013-07-31, 06:03 PM
Apparently i cant use half celestial because its a monster template which i didnt know!!!! MAGJAGNVAMJGAKMGJAMJGBVA

You've still got decent stats even without that, right?

I haven't tried a PF paladin yet, but I'd suggest just going straight Paladin. PF 'strongly discourages' multiclassing.

Raven777
2013-07-31, 06:21 PM
Sword + Light Spiked Shield TWF build should be pretty strong with these stats. Smite Evil synergizes well with lots of attacks, and as a Paladin you do not need to be all that tanky, since you can heal yourself on the fly with swift Lay On Hands.

BWR
2013-07-31, 06:35 PM
With the Paladin the three most important abilities are Charisma, Strength and Constitution. You will probably want to have Charisma as your highest ability. It improves smite, saves, lay on hands/Channel and spells. Strength and Constitution come in second, depending on whether you want to deal a lot of damage or tank. PF paladins are good tanks with their swift action self heals.

I know you want to play a smart person, and that is fine, but if you want to take advantage of the paladin abilities, you should have a high Charisma. If you want to grapple you want a high Strength. If you want to survive grapple, you want high Constitution. Intelligence should be your 4th best ability at best.
For good reasons it's usually the paladin's dump stat.
Combat maneuvers are of limited use, often. There are plenty of opponents that are immune or effectively immune to them, while plain physical damage works on just about everything.
Grappling helps restrict opponents: they can't attack other people while grappled, they are pretty much stuck in place, they are a lot easier for other people to hit. The flip side is if you are grappling, all the penalties apply to you as well.
Tripping is nice but again very feat intensive to do and not as effective as it was in 3.5. And there's the annoying thing of if you fail to trip you either lose your weapon or get tripped youself.
Bull rushing is nice to keep enemies away from the squishies but again feat intensive to do and of limited use against many opponents. The higher level you get, the less useful any combat maneuver will be.

Drake2009
2013-07-31, 06:41 PM
Never mind he let me use it as an LA 3:smallcool: