PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] How to make a Druid Character in Hunter

Anderlith
2013-07-31, 04:10 PM
So I'm playing Hunter & want to make a "new age" hippy Druid. He's Irish American & wants to protect/advise mostly.

What's the best way to create a druid's powers?

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-31, 04:28 PM
What's the best way to create a druid's powers?

You mean D&D-style Druids? :smallconfused:

If that's the case, you pretty much can't. Completely different games, completely different genre assumptions, completely different styles of play, especially in Hunter.

What exactly do you mean by "a druid's powers"?

Anderlith
2013-07-31, 04:38 PM
No, I want to command/deal with spirts. Heal, maybe do some kind of magic herbalism. Perhaps a familiar. That kind of thing

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-31, 05:23 PM
Hunter: the Vigil might be a bad idea for that. If at all possible, ask your ST if Second Sight is allowed, which has a number of New Age positive powers.

Beelzebub1111
2013-07-31, 05:39 PM
So like a mountain man who happens to fight whatever monsters come his way? I can dig that.

The Glyphstone
2013-07-31, 05:53 PM
You're not going to easily replicate a magical druid, but as far as talking to spirits goes, there is the conspiracy Les Mysteres from Spirit Slayers. A psychic or thaumaturge from Second Sight might get you some more druid-like abilities.

But in general, the whole theme of Hunter: The Vigil (as opposed to OWoD Reckoning) is that you are just ordinary, non-supernatural and non-magical Average Joes who take up the job of protecting people from what goes bump in the night (or day). If you're a member of a Conspiracy, it takes on an additional flavor of He Who Hunts Monsters and where the line gets drawn between the hunters and the hunted, but being an outright wizard/spellcaster as a Hunter isn't really appropriate.

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-01, 08:23 AM
If you want to be a 'druid' in nWoD, you need to be a psychic, a Mage, or a Werewolf. ;)

Luckily, Hunter is a minor template, so it stacks with psychic powers! ... Not so much with those other two.

Mono Vertigo
2013-08-01, 08:26 AM
You'd be much better off playing a Werewolf, honestly. Interacting with spirits is their main job, and they can do herbalism in different ways.
Ask your ST perhaps if you could play a Werewolf willing to help Hunters for whatever reasons, perhaps even hiding his true nature and pretending to be just a human druidic wiseman?

Mewtarthio
2013-08-01, 10:11 AM
You'd be much better off playing a Werewolf, honestly. Interacting with spirits is their main job, and they can do herbalism in different ways.
Ask your ST perhaps if you could play a Werewolf willing to help Hunters for whatever reasons, perhaps even hiding his true nature and pretending to be just a human druidic wiseman?

That sounds like a bad idea. Crossovers are iffy in the best of circumstances, and a mixed party of normal guys and supernaturals is just asking for trouble.

Seriously, the best way to do this is to talk with your ST. Ask if a Spirits specialty in some social skills is appropriate. Ask what it'll take for you to get some actual rituals (and, of course, have an appropriately high Occult skill to justify knowing them). Try and get "nature spirits" as one of your Professional Skill contacts.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-08-01, 10:15 AM
Seriously, the best way to do this is to talk with your ST. Ask if a Spirits specialty in some social skills is appropriate. Ask what it'll take for you to get some actual rituals (and, of course, have an appropriately high Occult skill to justify knowing them). Try and get "nature spirits" as one of your Professional Skill contacts.

I think this advice and maybe some powers from Second Sight are your best bet if you specifically want to play a Hunter who specializes in dealing with spirits in a New Age-y crystal hippie fashion.

Occultist is a Hunter Profession, right? That would be a good base to build from. Or Outdoorsman.

EDIT: Doing some more research, you might also want to look at the Natural Medium merit from Spirit Slayers. It sounds right up your alley.

Anderlith
2013-08-02, 01:08 AM
Instead of asking for Second Sight abilities. (My ST is kind of hard nosed) I'm just going to reflavor the Rites Du Cheval. For a more spirit walker approach