PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Arcane/Divine in spellbooks.

Stabbald
2013-07-31, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know of any reason that a Wizard/Archivist/Mystic-Theurge couldn't put all of his divine spells and arcane spells in a single Aureon's Spellshard or Boccob's Blessed Book?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-31, 04:44 PM
There's only 1000 pages. That's not even enough to fit in all the wizard spells you're likely to pick up during your career.
If you mean "are there rules against it" then no. It's a book, as long as you have enough pages to scribe the spell there's nothing that says you can't.

Stabbald
2013-07-31, 05:16 PM
There's only 1000 pages. That's not even enough to fit in all the wizard spells you're likely to pick up during your career.
If you mean "are there rules against it" then no. It's a book, as long as you have enough pages to scribe the spell there's nothing that says you can't.

A thousand pages is a thousand spell levels right? That's a heck of a lot of spells. Even if you had fourteen spells for every level, that's still less than 2/3rds of the space in a Blessed Book.

It's something I am considering to cut back on costs in the long term though. If you buy a Blessed book to share your spells and buy the second book when you need more room, it'll save you more money than if you waited to buy two books.

Obviously shards work even better that way, because you can get them earlier.

Thanks for the answer though. I couldn't think of any rule that stopped it from working, but I wasn't sure.

Asrrin
2013-07-31, 06:24 PM
A thousand pages is a thousand spell levels right? That's a heck of a lot of spells. Even if you had fourteen spells for every level, that's still less than 2/3rds of the space in a Blessed Book.

It's something I am considering to cut back on costs in the long term though. If you buy a Blessed book to share your spells and buy the second book when you need more room, it'll save you more money than if you waited to buy two books.

Obviously shards work even better that way, because you can get them earlier.

Thanks for the answer though. I couldn't think of any rule that stopped it from working, but I wasn't sure.

One page per spell per spell level. Core Arcane alone would probably hit over 1k pages.

However... Geometer would make the requirements 1 spell per page, so you could potentially fit most every spell in the game in a single book...

EDIT: According to this web page (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/21494/how-many-sorcerer-and-wizard-spells-are-there-in-dd-3-5) as of 2005 there are 1017 arcane spells alone in all 3.5 books. this does not include divine spells.

ArqArturo
2013-07-31, 06:36 PM
Fluff-wise, it is said that the Illumian language is more compact than other languages, so you could write spells in illumian.

Also, the PrC Geometer implies that a their spellbooks are condensed formulae, and easier to fit more Geometer spells than any common wizard spell.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-01, 01:33 AM
I really don't see the point of Geometer.
By the time you fill up your first spellbook you should be able to afford a second without any problem.

Stabbald
2013-08-01, 03:11 AM
One page per spell per spell level. Core Arcane alone would probably hit over 1k pages.

However... Geometer would make the requirements 1 spell per page, so you could potentially fit most every spell in the game in a single book...

EDIT: According to this web page (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/21494/how-many-sorcerer-and-wizard-spells-are-there-in-dd-3-5) as of 2005 there are 1017 arcane spells alone in all 3.5 books. this does not include divine spells.

Who is going to add all of those spells into their spell book? That would take almost 3 years of doing nothing other than copying spells.

I don't see that happening even in most 1-20 campaigns (ignoring pocket dimension shenanigans).

Asrrin
2013-08-01, 10:40 AM
I really don't see the point of Geometer.
By the time you fill up your first spellbook you should be able to afford a second without any problem.

Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings)

It's not the spellbook that costs a lot of money, it's the scribing of the spell. each 9th level spell without geometer is 900gp, and it adds up quickly, especially if you plan on having a Grimoire (full tome of all spells known), a backup grimoire, daily spell book (with your common loadout), and backup daily. Geometer significantly puts a dent in the cost of all this.

Khedrac
2013-08-01, 03:49 PM
A wizard can fill the 1,000 pages of a blessed book with spells without paying the 100 gp per page material cost.
You only have to pay for the Archivist spells - wizard ones are free.

I do pity the poor Wu Jen who finds one of these though...

ArqArturo
2013-08-01, 04:21 PM
You only have to pay for the Archivist spells - wizard ones are free.

I do pity the poor Wu Jen who finds one of these though...

There was a joke on the WoTC forums that an Archivists should take the Leadership feat to get a Warlock cohort to help him write all sorts of scrolls of different divine spells, and the zany adventures of the poor warlock getting blasted, zapped, and pretty getting into all sorts of misfortune, all just that the Archivist could research his spells.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-01, 04:23 PM
Who is going to add all of those spells into their spell book? That would take almost 3 years of doing nothing other than copying spells.

I don't see that happening even in most 1-20 campaigns (ignoring pocket dimension shenanigans).

Makes the easy bake wizard's spell book incredibly smaller.

Edit: of course he doesn't worry about the cost of ink. But he probably worries a little about carrying a library on his back.