PDA

View Full Version : Being Grim(3.5)

sambouchah
2013-07-31, 05:57 PM
Something I've been thinking about for some time now; How can I be the Grim Reaper? What are PRCs to take, Feats, equipment(aside from a scythe), etc?

Thanks, Sam

JaronK
2013-07-31, 05:59 PM
Dread Necromancer is certainly a solid class for this, especially when combined with Imperious Command and Never Outnumbered. Scare the heck out of everyone near you, raise the dead, and turn into a lich!

You even get the proficiency in scythes.

JaronK

gurgleflep
2013-07-31, 06:22 PM
For a race, you could use a modified version of Pathfinder's Obitu (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/Obitu). It's skeletal and with a bit of stat modification it would work well for appearances!

Edit: Here's what was suggested to me:

Is it correct to assume you want them to be somewhere in the general power range of the LA +0 races? If so, you should drop one of +2 ability modifiers so that the Obitu has the standard 3,5 +2/-2, rather than the Pathfinder +2/+2/-2. I would keep the Dex bonus and lose the strength bonus, if only so that the Obitu don't just become universally superior half-orcs. You could also let them choose either strength or dexterity, so that there is a little more variety when the whole party turns obitu. I don't see a problem with medium size, normal speed, darkvision, or the poison/disease saves. The latter is certainly less important than the bonus dwarves get against spells, SLAs, and poisons; even though it's a larger bonus, poison and disease are, at least in my experience, less common and easier to deal with than spells, so saving against them is nice, but not nearly as essential. I don't really see a problem with Nimble Form, after skills are converted back to 3.5 (I would turn the bonus from Acrobatics into a bonus to just Tumble, probably). Negative Energy resistance should almost definitely go, but I'm not really sure about Improved Initiative. Sleep Immunity is a judgment call, since it's probably going to end up primarily flavor; I generally don't cast sleep on my players, and the trancing stuff really just saves everyone the trouble of players spending, like, two hours deciding the watch order when they rest :smallwink:. If you think you'll ever want to put the PCs to sleep so that they can get captured, or something like that, drop it. Similarly, if you don't want the obitu stealing the elves' schtick (especially if you already gave them a dexterity bonus), drop it.