PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Low AC problem/character cheese - ECL 16 Gestalt campaign

Bromidrosis
2013-07-31, 08:26 PM
So I'm building a LG character for a gestalt campaign. I know it's going to be largely taking place in the 9 hells, and I'm trying to build a character who won't get insta-gibbed by a high CR devil. So far: Factotum 8, Kensai 2, Occult Slayer 5/Swordsage 8, Monk 2, Master of Nine 5. (only lvl 15 because I took a bunch of XP to enchant +10 weapon)

It's shaping up pretty well - nondetection and mind blank from OS, lots of money for wondrous items thanks to Kensai (and no armor), third eye concentrate + diamond mind + cunning insight (and +3 from OS against spells/SLAs) for high saves, but even with the monk/SS wis AC bonus synergy, my AC is only 32 since I spent all my money on magic items other than bracers of natural armor or a ring of protection. With only ~100hp to work with, I'm worried I'll just get massacred in melee, even with cunning defense and defensive stances. Is this a monumental weakness like I think it is, and if so how can I compensate?

Also would appreciate advice on how to make my character a bit less slapdash, I know my class/PRC combinations are kind of all over the place.

MilesTiden
2013-07-31, 08:33 PM
As a level 2 Kensai, you can only up your weapon bonus to +2. There's a cap based on level. Also, why the second level in monk? I'm pretty sure the bonus feat isn't really necessary, and Swordsage 9 gets Evasion anyways. Also, get some source of miss chance. Even if you have moderate AC, it will do wonders.

Hamste
2013-07-31, 08:38 PM
At ECL 16? No, you can basically ignore it at those levels. It's saves you want to have a lot of and miss chances, with out it you will be gibbed very quickly. If it really worries you, see if you can mooch some defence spells from the wizard or cleric like mage armor (greater mage armor or luminous armor at these levels), blur, shield and entropic shield

Bromidrosis
2013-07-31, 08:39 PM
I cannot believe that I didn't see that caveat in the Kensai rules. Duly noted, I will have to recalibrate based on that.

Also good advice on the miss chance! I was planning on dipping heavily into Shadowhand techniques as there are a few concealment maneuvers/stances there, but I will have to see about finding an item that could add concealment as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-31, 09:53 PM
Officially Monk and Swordsage AC Bonus doesn't stack. Both abilities have identical names, which makes them the same source, and unnamed bonuses from the same source never stack, despite the details of each one being slightly different. It's similar to how a spell that's 2nd level on one class list and 4th level on another class list is still the same spell. Similarly, a character with both Champion of Gwynharwyf and Paladin won't get to stack Divine Grace from both classes.

Per the gestalt rules, you cannot take levels in two prestige classes at any given character level.

If you want to avoid paying for magic items, play a spellcaster. Between Greater Magic Weapon and Greater Luminous Armor you should have everything you're looking for. Here are a few examples:

Martial (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) Wizard 5/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Jade Phoenix Mage 6// Warblade 5/ Swordsage 2/ Factotum 3/ Wizard 1/ Factotum 4/ Wizard 1, take future levels in Jade Phoenix Mage with one more Factotum and either Warblade or Swordsage (whichever it doesn't advance), and always put a Wizard level with JPM 1 and 6. Take either Kung Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk so your Swordsage AC bonus uses Int instead of Wis. Use a bludgeoning weapon with (Lesser Rod of Extended) Greater Mighty Wallop and Greater Magic Weapon, and for AC use Greater Luminous Armor and Shield for the equivalent of +5 full plate and a +5 tower shield with Abjurant Champion. Get a Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) to fix the Str damage sacrifice from Greater Luminous Armor.

Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 6// Paladin 2/ Crusader 8/ Sorcerer 1/ Crusader 2/ Sorcerer 1/ Crusader 2, take future levels in Swiftblade with Crusader and a Sorcerer level with Swiftblade 1, 4, 7, and 10 to get max spellcasting. Spend a feat on Arcane Preparation to be able to cast Sanctified spells like Greater Luminous Armor, and use this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4) to get around the limited spells known.

Cloistered Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 3/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10// Crusader 4/ Swordsage 2/ Cloistered Cleric 1/ Swordsage 4/ Cloistered Cleric 1/ Swordsage 4, future levels should be any combination of Contemplative, Divine Oracle, and Church Inquisitor with more Crusader and/or Swordsage. Consider using Invisible Spell for Greater Luminous Armor since it's more of a stealth build, and you can put Magic Vestment on the armor bonus that it gives.

Bromidrosis
2013-07-31, 09:59 PM
Just...wow. That was insightful, incredibly thorough and very helpful. This is my first gestalt campaign so I was ignorant of the gestalt rules, so I appreciate the correction. After that I think I can safely say /thread. Thank you so much for all your help Biffoniacus, I'll get cracking based on your suggestions and see what I can come up with for my character.