PDA

View Full Version : lizard men race critique please

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-13, 04:20 PM
I wanted a lizard man race not like the one in the book I am trying to balance it so it will be a 0 or +1 LA what are your thoughts on this and what do you think the LA should be I was thinking 0 because the cold sensitivity is pretty harsh.

Lizard Men

Lizard Men or Sslissik in their own tongue are a race of simple humanoids that dwell in the jungles and swamps of the world. It is believed that these people were originally created by the Great Serpent to serve as an army but they quickly rebelled against the Serpent God because they believed in a more neutral outlook in life the fled the wrath of their God and eventually found refuge oddly enough with Hetar the Judge who long before deemed all races no matter who they were created by could choose the path they followed in life. In gratitude for his protection the lizard men began a long history creating and upholding just laws and are well known throughout the world for their wisdom and judgment. Adventuring Lizard men act as judges wherever they are needed if so disposed and seek to help savage lands to be more organized.
Racial abilities

+2 Wisdom They have foresight and understanding beyond that of many people.
-2 Dexterity Lizard men are slow to act especially in the cold.
-2 Intelligence Lizard men rarely have the opportunity to learn “book knowledge” and rely on their wisdom.
+2 Natural Armor Their scaly hides are resistant to damage.
Hold breath: a lizard man can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 times his constitution score before it risks drowning.
Tail slap: natural attack in addition to any other attacks they may they make a tail slap attack at –5 from their base full base attack bonus damage is 1d6 plus ½ str damage.
Cold sensitivity: due to their adjustment to living in very hot climates lizard men are very susceptible to cold temperatures and cold based attacks in any temperature below 50º F They are always considered fatigued. They also have a –4 to all saves against cold attacks.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-13, 04:25 PM
No to the double damage vs. cold attacks. Even creatures with the fire subtype only take 50% again as much damage from cold-based attacks. I'd also drop the Dex mod, but then, Dex is one of favorite abilities. Other than that it looks fine.

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-13, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the insight I forgot they only took 50% more I will drop that part but keep the -4. I like the dex modifier because I see them as slower moving cold blooded types. :)

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-13, 04:32 PM
That looks alright to me. They would make good druids or clerics. Why not keep the hold breath ability though? Wouldn't really make much balance difference, and still fits the flavour.

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-13, 04:36 PM
That looks alright to me. They would make good druids or clerics. Why not keep the hold breath ability though? Wouldn't really make much balance difference, and still fits the flavour.

I didn't specifically base it off the lizard folk from the MM but you are right it does fit well and won't be to unbalancing.

icke
2006-12-14, 08:29 AM
I like the dex modifier because I see them as slower moving cold blooded types. :)

Have You ever tried to catch a gecko on a warm day? Then talk again about slow-moving cold-blooded types...

From the balance point it's allright, don't see any problems.

mac13eth
2006-12-14, 08:33 AM
Have You ever tried to catch a gecko on a warm day? Then talk again about slow-moving cold-blooded types...

Geckos get a +4 AC bonus due to size. They probably have a +4 racial bonus to escape artist too. I don't really think of reptiles as particularly agile.

pestilenceawaits
2006-12-14, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.