View Full Version : Sneak Attack and Eversmoking Bottle questions

Werephilosopher
2013-07-31, 09:12 PM
Suppose a Dark Creeper (FF) pulls out an Eversmoking Bottle in a room full of enemies.

Since vision is totally obscured by the Bottle, do enemies lose Dex bonus to AC? (Dumb question, I know, but AFB at the moment.)

Does the Dark Creeper take any sort of penalty to hitting enemies in the fog using only his Blindsight?

If the Bottle is still expelling smoke, does the center of the spread move with the Bottle? Does it move if the Bottle has finished expelling smoke?

Simple questions, but any help (and sources) would be greatly appreciated.

The Viscount
2013-07-31, 11:06 PM
I believe they retain Dex to AC, as they are not blind and the Dark Creeper is not invisible, but I could be wrong.

The Dark Creeper takes no penalty for using blindsight, because it's cool like that. It'd be a very different story if he had blindsense.

tyckspoon
2013-08-01, 12:05 AM
I believe they retain Dex to AC, as they are not blind and the Dark Creeper is not invisible, but I could be wrong.

They are actually blind, assuming they rely on standard sight as their means of seeing; that's what 'vision is totally obscured' means. Treat the area covered by smoke as if it were in total darkness - basically, unless you have some alternate sense to compensate (like the mentioned critter's Blindsight) you treat everything and everybody as if it were invisible to you. (Invisibility is defined as 'visually undetectable', btw - it's not just the magical effect of being invisible, the same rules cover any situation where you can't see something.)

The Viscount
2013-08-01, 02:44 PM
Ah, well then. Good to know. Thanks for the correction.

Psyren
2013-08-01, 04:14 PM
To answer your second question, blindsight bypasses concealment, therefore you would be able to pinpoint targets as well as sneak attack.