PDA

View Full Version : Silly Character Concepts

Mando Knight
2013-07-31, 10:03 PM
While driving home today, I came upon a very silly character idea, and decided to make a thread about such...

First off, the "Ultimate" Hasbro Fanboy, Drizzimus Joe'Primen:

A totally-original-honest, somewhat-overweight Chaotic Good Drow Ranger with three-tone hair and twin scimitars "Twilight" and "Sparkle." His leather armor has a red vaguely-mechanical-looking face emblazoned on the shoulders. His tragic backstory includes he and his brother taking refuge among a coastal-dwelling group of magicians after he was exiled from Drow society.

Additional character "features":

Ranger in Disguise: Drizzimus is a "master" at the art of "cosplay" and will never pass up the opportunity to show off his "ingenious" pastel-colored anthropomorphized-horse disguise, or a red-and-blue Warforged disguise that can then be further disguised as a miniature cart-like vehicle. He is oblivious to how awkward such "costumes" are to most anyone else.

And Knowing is Half the Battle: Drizzimus is actually fairly well-read... though most of his knowledge is devoted to such fictional things as "Marvel UK comics" and "GEEWUN," he is familiar enough with the lore of his own world to usually give out some relevant information. In such a case, he's still mostly concerned about leaders with snake motifs and highly suspicious of hand crossbows.

Friendship is Magic: If at all possible, Drizzimus has some kind of animal companion or familiar. Pseudodragons, rabbits, herding dogs, white longhair cats, and turtles are his favorites, though an owl or panther would also suffice. He seeks to travel in a party of six whenever possible. Silent ninjas, melodramatic fashionistas, whatever.

Arkhosia
2013-07-31, 10:18 PM
LOL. Sorry, only thing to describe this.
I remember a buddy of mine had a necromancer/wizard named Roadkill who was a birthday magician, summoning bunnies, skeletal creatures, and other magic creations for young boys and girls to play games with on their birthday. After one of his tricks went horribly wrong, he fled and now wants to be strong enough to repell those who wish to cause him harm.

Lord Raziere
2013-07-31, 11:20 PM
I have in mind a Drizzt copycat parody…

basically think of a drow who in his opening speech sounds like he is rebelling against an unjust society…..but then it turns out that he is just a normal teen in a decent community of good drow where no one takes him seriously. He then decides to go out and become an adventurer, but the office to become an adventurer basically hands him two scimitars, a cute kitty and a green uniform despite the fact that he doesn't even want them and they shrug and say "sorry kid, standard equipment and we are all out of other stuff" so he basically forced into the drizzt copycat role against his will, he goes to the surface and tries to be an adventurer anyways but gets beaten by a magus who points out that dual-wielding scimitars is impractical and more likely to hurt him than others.

then he is taught the way of the magus his scimitars begin replaced by a longsword, and the kitty becoming his familiar, and basically he soon becomes a serious practical adventurer, while his parents back at home hire somebody to go get him back, worried for his well being.

and now I want to find a way to translate this into a more serious background, because while the character is serious, his backstory isn't serious at all.

yea, the character is silly, but I'd really rather him be more serious.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-07-31, 11:35 PM
Personally, I love the idea of the barbarian who thinks he's a wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049).

Arkhosia
2013-07-31, 11:44 PM
I'm thinking of playing a Chaotic Good paladin of Lolth who has learned that Lolth is insane and wants to restore her sanity, and discovered she has sorcerer blood. She has no idea what the heck she's doing and just wants to make sure she doesn't set the world on fire.
Serious backstory, a planned funny execution.
Basically, a 4e drow paladin with the theme firecrafter.
Backround, if you're curious: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15706510&postcount=469

And if the party doesn't need a defender, I'm rolling up a human monk who is very cheerful and can detect auras.
You get a cookie if you get the reference. (::)

Raimun
2013-08-01, 06:34 AM
One day, when I'll be taking part to a high level campaign (starting at 10+ level) I'll be a hobbit.

A hobbit who lives in a comfortable hobbit hole and enjoys good food, drink and a pipe of tobacco. A hobbit who wants nothing to do with adventures.

Seriously, he wants nothing to do with adventures and doesn't go with the adventurers the other players are playing. He'd just keep living in his house under the hill. A house that's paid with the tens of thousands gold pieces he'll get for the gear. I imagine there will be plenty left for food, drink and tobacco.

Of course, I would keep a spare character ready, "Psycho von McKillington", the human barbarian, so I could play as him after it's well established the hobbit won't leave his house.

DigoDragon
2013-08-01, 06:45 AM
While driving home today, I came upon a very silly character idea, and decided to make a thread about such...

Pffffthahaha, that's a hilarious concept. :smallbiggrin:

Your Nemesis
2013-08-01, 10:00 AM
I'll go with Old Man Henderson, or maybe Fistbeard Beardfist, or even Bearington Bearman the Barbearian.

FabulousFizban
2013-08-01, 10:16 AM
Noble wolf huntmaster cavalier.

So what is your character again?
A pack of dogs.

Totally Guy
2013-08-01, 10:36 AM
Dinosaur Summoner... A guy with the power to summon dinosaurs. Unfortunately he does not have the power to control them.

Xianthe
2013-08-01, 12:01 PM
Once in PF, I played an elven bard who's perform skills were in "oratory" and "handdrum." He wore a beret.

Yukitsu
2013-08-01, 12:05 PM
I once drafted up an old fighter with leadership. The cohort was a guy who carried around a big bag full of his many different types of clubs which were his weapon of choice (some were silver, some were sharpened, some had different alignments etc. and were numbered 2-9, P, S and then there were three larger ones and a tiny one). The followers just watched and politely clapped when he scored a kill.

Arkhosia
2013-08-01, 12:22 PM
I once drafted up an old fighter with leadership. The cohort was a guy who carried around a big bag full of his many different types of clubs which were his weapon of choice (some were silver, some were sharpened, some had different alignments etc. and were numbered 2-9, P, S and then there were three larger ones and a tiny one). The followers just watched and politely clapped when he scored a kill.

All he needs is a golf cart wagon!

Jeivar
2013-08-01, 12:28 PM
In Shadowrun I once played a delusional Vietnamese ninja who learned the art of the shadow warrior from a book he bought at an airport. He was a total 80's Hollywood cliche, complete with black pajamas, shuriken and a katana, but he was also extremely skilled at stealth and melee, so that must have been some book.

The Fury
2013-08-01, 12:53 PM
While it wasn't my idea it's still one of my favorites. A friend of mine noticed that the various Toughness feats which grant additional hit points can be taken as fighter bonus feats and stack with one another. That said, it's entirely possible to make a fighter who's sole advantage is having a lot of hit points and will only take feats that grant more hit points. Cool, but not silly enough for my friend's taste. So he chose to make this build using the most hilariously inappropriate race. Later he found a book which had a playable Tiny- sized fairy, thus was born Toughness Fairy!

Once in PF, I played an elven bard who's perform skills were in "oratory" and "handdrum." He wore a beret.

*finger snaps*

Lord Raziere
2013-08-01, 01:01 PM
While it wasn't my idea it's still one of my favorites. A friend of mine noticed that the various Toughness feats which grant additional hit points can be taken as fighter bonus feats and stack with one another. That said, it's entirely possible to make a fighter who's sole advantage is having a lot of hit points and will only take feats that grant more hit points. Cool, but not silly enough for my friend's taste. So he chose to make this build using the most hilariously inappropriate race. Later he found a book which had a playable Tiny- sized fairy, thus was born Toughness Fairy!

So……a white dwarf fairy? :smalltongue:

Deathkeeper
2013-08-01, 01:09 PM
I once made a character based on Mamvish from the Young Wizards books. Space Dinosaur Wizard was then a thing.

Alex12
2013-08-01, 01:38 PM
In the campaign I'm going to be running, one of the players is going to be playing an anthropomorphic murder of crows. Who is a VoP psionicist/refluffed Ur-priest (minus alignment requirements, because of a quirk of the setting)

brutticusforce
2013-08-02, 12:09 PM
I always wanted to try a Monk/Serenity Paladin/ Sacred Fist with a ton of Exalted feats (including VoP, of course), intuitive attack, and battle blessing. He would wander around, just doing good in a world that has gone to the dogs.

Step one, scream and cast bulls strength on ones self. use your kung fu to make them submit. (make up techniques to describe your combat maneuvers.) Tell them to go and live an honest life.

eulmanis12
2013-08-03, 06:24 PM
My PC in a campaign I'm currently playing in is pretty funny.

John Falkirk a human fighter who hates authority, the nobility, and any form of alcohol that isn't high enough proof to serve as emergency fire starter. having spent the ten years after he left the army as an illiterate criminal, he stumbles, drunkenly, into a town feast where he meets the rest of the party, accidentaly wins a riddle competition, with the grand prize being a seat at the right hand of Count Henry Marford, (the ruler of the town) during the feast. The two men get drunk together, and Count Henry decides that Falkirk is such a "paragon of moral excellence and martial prowess" (his words) that he immediately makes Falkirk captain of the town guard.

Falkirk is now responsible for upholding the law in a town that he orrigionally entered with the intention of stealing everything not nailed down or on fire. Additionaly he must run the town guard. Including handling the requisite paperwork, without letting anyone realize that he is illiterate

Toy Killer
2013-08-03, 08:45 PM
I had Delrue Hoverstien. a multi-class Monk/Barbarian.

When I submitted the character sheet to the DM, he looked at the skills and said "Okay, Grapple-monk, got it, why ranks in "Perform (Oratory)?"

"Becuase *imitating a WWE Wrestler* He's 'DELRUE! THE HOMICIDER! HOVERSTIEN! And when he gets done breaking the bones of your puny little guards, he's Coming! AFTER YOU! BIG BAD EVIL GUY!"

He had an unfortunate experience with an owlbear he suplexed and was sadly referred to for the rest of the campaign lovingly.

Razanir
2013-08-03, 08:53 PM
Personally, I love the idea of the barbarian who thinks he's a wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049).

Oh my gosh. I think the Orcadin just found a stepbrother. (They grew up at the same orphanage)

O.O I should write a comic or silly fan fiction stories about them. I just need to come up with two more half-orcs, and I can have a series of short stories about some half-orcs on a mission to save their orphanage they grew up at.

Arbane
2013-08-03, 10:09 PM
I once drafted up an old fighter with leadership. The cohort was a guy who carried around a big bag full of his many different types of clubs which were his weapon of choice

Quite a long time ago, I had the idea of a character known as 'Caddy'. He used to follow around some high-level D&D character, and hand him the right weapons as needed. An old guy with not much skills.... but a golf-bag full of powerful weaponry.

Vetoed by the GM, fortunately tragically.

Turalisj
2013-08-03, 10:12 PM
Ewok Jedi.

'nuff said.

ShadowFireLance
2013-08-03, 10:52 PM
Hydra Demilich. :smallcool: :smallamused:

Manly Man
2013-08-03, 10:57 PM
One of my favorites is to do animals given the awaken spell, and I've had a lot of ideas. My favorite so far is a Simaetha sp. (http://www.thefeaturedcreature.com/wordpress6/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tumblr_mhyr601v5s1rwb5yfo1_500.jpg) Ninja, but one of the silliest I had was a moose who took levels as a Warblde so that he could learn how to finally kill that damnable bear who kept encroaching on his territory.

VariSami
2013-08-04, 02:56 AM
Quite a long time ago, I had the idea of a character known as 'Caddy'. He used to follow around some high-level D&D character, and hand him the right weapons as needed. An old guy with not much skills.... but a golf-bag full of powerful weaponry.

While she (http://towerofdruaga.wikia.com/wiki/Coopa) is not exactly an old guy, the idea has been used in an anime. The character was a caddy handing wands to a mage, though.

"In battle, Coopa mostly acts as a caddy to Melt, passing him the rods he requests"

Razanir
2013-08-04, 09:08 AM
One of my favorites is to do animals given the awaken spell, and I've had a lot of ideas. My favorite so far is a Simaetha sp. (http://www.thefeaturedcreature.com/wordpress6/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tumblr_mhyr601v5s1rwb5yfo1_500.jpg) Ninja, but one of the silliest I had was a moose who took levels as a Warblde so that he could learn how to finally kill that damnable bear who kept encroaching on his territory.

What about Sir Bearington?

Angel Bob
2013-08-04, 09:29 AM
And if the party doesn't need a defender, I'm rolling up a human monk who is very cheerful and can detect auras.
You get a cookie if you get the reference. (::)

Too easy. (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Ty_Lee)

Back on topic: My group's come up with at least two. Firstly, for an evil campaign we did a while back, my character concept was "an atheist paladin". This turned out to be very difficult to implement.

More recently, a new player's first question during character creation was "Can I play a bear?" I tried to steer her away from such a choice, but she was insistent, and has thus ended up as a druid who seems to be permanently stuck in Wild Shape. (She'd never even heard of Sir Bearington, which makes it funnier.)

Manly Man
2013-08-04, 01:48 PM
What about Sir Bearington?

The good knight has a castle to live in. The bear that the moose has to deal with is just an *******.

Yukitsu
2013-08-04, 02:12 PM

This reminds me of my animal companion in one game, Major Ursa, a bear that led a company of other bears. Evil git of a bear, wore an M35 helmet.