PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Shapchanging warrior without wildshape

Doorhandle
2013-08-01, 12:49 AM
After looking up that handbook on forms one can shapeshift into, I came to the realisation that several of the forms from arcane spells (partially the Charda) that are better than the druid's variants. Sure, wildshape has many other advantages (time in form, being able to cast 100% of the time, ect.) but I'd like to try my hand at an arcane variant.

I know transmutation wizard or abomination/orc/abyssal sorcerer would be a good place to start, but can anyone recommend what other class/race/feat combinations would be recommended for a build like this?

Don't suggest anything from 3.5 Oh, and in before "syntheheist summoner", as I doubt the eildon/beast shape will stack.

Psyren
2013-08-01, 08:13 AM
As you probably noticed since you're looking at the Charda, the only real difference between Wild Shape and arcane shapeshifting is that arcanists gain access to monstrous humanoid forms via the Monstrous Physique line. Note also that even if you shift into a humanoid or MH form, you'll lose access to your material components, so be sure to take Eschew Materials.

For arcane shapeshifters, you have four main options - A refluffed synthesist as you mentioned, a transmuter wizard, a magus, or an alchemist (beastmorph vivisectionist being the most likely archetype.)

I'm curious as to why you say synthesist wouldn't stack with beast shape - if you merge with the eidolon first, I see no reason why it wouldn't. You can even stack the AC by making your eidolon's AC fully be an armor bonus, thus obtaining the full natural armor from polymorphing. Since that armor AC isn't coming from equipment, it would not be suppressed into your form.

Transmuter will probably be your most powerful option (being a wizard) but a Beastmorph + Vivisectionist can really pile on the damage while still playing nicely with lower tier groups.

Gorfnod
2013-08-01, 08:32 AM
Here was my crack at a PF shapeshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248055).

Doorhandle
2013-08-02, 08:29 AM
As you probably noticed since you're looking at the Charda, the only real difference between Wild Shape and arcane shapeshifting is that arcanists gain access to monstrous humanoid forms via the Monstrous Physique line. Note also that even if you shift into a humanoid or MH form, you'll lose access to your material components, so be sure to take Eschew Materials.

For arcane shapeshifters, you have four main options - A refluffed synthesist as you mentioned, a transmuter wizard, a magus, or an alchemist (beastmorph vivisectionist being the most likely archetype.)

I'm curious as to why you say synthesist wouldn't stack with beast shape - if you merge with the eidolon first, I see no reason why it wouldn't. You can even stack the AC by making your eidolon's AC fully be an armor bonus, thus obtaining the full natural armor from polymorphing. Since that armor AC isn't coming from equipment, it would not be suppressed into your form.

Transmuter will probably be your most powerful option (being a wizard) but a Beastmorph + Vivisectionist can really pile on the damage while still playing nicely with lower tier groups.

Well it was also noted because beasts form 4 gets the Catopeldibas and other huge magical beasts. And because it's easier to eventually get things like dragon form or giant form. Excellent points there.

Here was my crack at a PF shapeshifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248055).

Thanks but I'd prefer the official stuff!

Psyren
2013-08-02, 08:52 AM
I don't recommend a sorcerer - there are so many shapeshifting spells now that picking them all up will be rough on your spells known, but at the same time, not picking them all up will mean you're missing out on various abilities. The key to a shapeshifter is versatility - having the right tools on hand for whatever fight may present itself - thus, you'll want as many of the X shape and X form spells as you can get your hands on.

Transmuters have the advantage in terms of their dedicated transmutation slot, letting them prepare additional polymorph spells across spell levels, as well as other buffs. Both subschools (Enhancement and Shapechange) are good for a gish.

I also forgot another great arcane option - a Witch with the Transformation Patron. Scarred Witch Doctor or White-Haired Witch are both excellent archetypes to combine with this - the former casts from Con, giving you a ton of HP to go with your shapeshifting melee style, while the latter's White Hair is a supernatural ability and thus stays with you regardless of the form you take, giving you another natural weapon and lots of melee potential.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-02, 10:03 AM
You could try a Beastmorph* Alchemist. The beastmorphs presumably stack with polymorphing since you're just taking options from the list and not actually changing form so much (the bit on that is purely about describing it with fluff and while you can describe flight with wings, it's kind of hard to describe a physical change that's now giving you pounce or trip). The only problem is, both the beastmorphs and the polymorph spells extracts come late compared to most other characters than can shape change -- Alchemist may be a 6-level "caster," but he gets VERY FEW spells at a discounted level.

You can also get lots of form-altering discoveries like Feral Mutagen, Wings, Tentacle, and Vestigial Arms.

*It has nothing to do with shape shifting, but if going this route you'd probably also want Vivisectionist, since it synergizes with lots of natural attacks way more than bombs do.