PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Throwing Executioner Tips/Fun.

Haelstrom
2013-08-01, 01:59 AM
So I'm rolling a character, with this core idea:

Human
Access to most books but no flaws for feat gains
Is an executioner for sport. He basically attempts to be a professional athlete of wanton thrown axe slaughter, by making it look as good as he possibly can, and charging people money to watch him do it.
Is his own god.
Has high Performance & Bluff ranks to represent how fabulous he is.

I've played with it a fair bit, reading up on various classes including Master Thrower & Bloodstorm Blade. But I must admit I'm still having trouble cementing it all together.

-Thrown axes
-Really showy character
-Little to no magic
-Low gold campaign [thus far]
-High strength emphasis
-Either throw lots of axes, or chain thrown axes back to back

At level 9 when entering, this is how I've tried building him up so far:

(Feat variant) Rogue 2/Fighter 4/Master Thrower 3

It gives me a lot of feats to play with + the early skill points off Rogue, decent BAB, with Weapon Focus / Specialization / Ranged Weapon Mastery, Brutal & Power Throw, etc..

But I can't tell if not diving into Bloodstorm Blade ASAP's holding back the character idea or not. Least of all I'm not sure outside of Complete Scoundrel Skill Tricks how to play up the "performance" aspect of the character.

Anything people could advise, either for alternate progressions in classes, or in equipment that could facilitate the idea? Most thrower builds I've seen around tend to either be for large characters going into Hurler or for halfings tossing daggers. =P

Fyermind
2013-08-01, 03:35 AM
Perform (weapon drill) lets you do a few little things. It comes from complete warrior and has some options other than making money, most of them themed around gladiator battles. You get bonuses for BAB and some feats.

Haelstrom
2013-08-01, 11:59 AM
Perform (weapon drill) lets you do a few little things

Nice. I actually have Quick Draw, TWF, and Weapon Focus. That sounds perfect far as the performance aspect goes.

Asrrin
2013-08-01, 12:39 PM
Is his name perchance Draven?

Haelstrom
2013-08-01, 12:43 PM
Is his name perchance Draven?

No, it's...

[Traven.]

(aka yes)

Averis Vol
2013-08-01, 02:21 PM
Well, Since I've built Draven as an NPC in my game, a few pointers are taking the thrown weapon feats from Dragon #304. One allows you to trip(Bowl over), one allows you to bullrush (Rout), one gets you 1-1/2 your STR score on thrown weapon damage(Heft), plus theres some more debilitating side effects, but that doesn't really matter. Bull rush is your stand aside, heft is your spinning axes, I cant say much for whirling death other then pulling out a pair of returning axes, and blood rush could be a custom item of haste.

Haelstrom
2013-08-01, 04:46 PM
Excellent. I'll talk with my DM on just how geared he'd like to see Traven enter, but I can definitely look at swinging the thrown weapon feats.