PDA

View Full Version : [Scion] Assistance in making a Hat of Infinity?

Icalasari
2013-08-01, 03:26 AM
Essentially, once a story the players may go to (or more like he comes to them) a homebrew god named Jtagn. This guy is chaos incarnate, and he can turn any item they give him into anything from a relic of unimaginable power (requires a 69 or 70 on a 1d70) to something like a bent staple. They cannot use items they just pick up off the ground - it has to be something that is actually in their inventory at the time which, of course, comes with a risk of, "**** I wasn't expecting him do I risk my 4 dot birthright for the small chance of making it better, or pass up on the offer in case of the high likelyhood that I get crap. Possibly literally"

One of them got a Hat of Infinity - essentially a Deck of Many Things (...I would say the dice are rigged since they keep getting 69's and 70's about half the freaking time, but we use D20's site, so they are just really lucky). The hat needs some time to charge up (my in story excuse of, "Hang on, I need to figure this out"), and I am creating a bunch of effects it can draw on

So two things

1) Any ideas on how to limit its power? I don't want it to be a case of one draw and that's it, but at the same time, things like stars falling and causing 1 unsoakable lethal per failure to dodge, then drawing an ungodly powerful sword, then drawing something that restores all willpower all within three turns is just... No. Hell no. Right now, I have it costing 5 legend to use and more powerful effects just cause hat burnout for the whole story (most stories are a session or two, each session clocking in at between 2 to 4 hours)

2) Any suggestions for things I can refer to for balancing the draws against? I'd balance against D&D's Deck of Many Things, but the two systems clash so hard that it would basically not work well, plus the fact that the hat is reusable and the deck isn't means that the deck would, of course, be balanced differently than what I need

Also, yes, I know, bad GM for not having this already prepared

AuraTwilight
2013-08-01, 03:47 PM
Comically Complete Chaos Idea: Have it literally work like the Deck of Many Things. "What the hell is a 4th level Fighter?" "I don't know, but that's what I am. Pleased to meet you, sir."

Icalasari
2013-08-02, 05:10 AM
Comically Complete Chaos Idea: Have it literally work like the Deck of Many Things. "What the hell is a 4th level Fighter?" "I don't know, but that's what I am. Pleased to meet you, sir."

And now I know what I'm doing if they ever hand a deck of cards to that god

"You got 10,000 xp! However, due to the exchange rate between planes, it only translates to roughly 1 xp and some lint"