PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Disciple but for Demons/Devils?

Weiser_Cain
2013-08-01, 06:49 AM
I was wondering if there were PRC's that make you more demonic or devil-y?

Martial and Magical, what are my options?

Khedrac
2013-08-01, 06:52 AM
Fiend Blooded from Heroes of Horror is exactly this.

It's 9/10 casting and iirc grats the half-fiendish template.

Jeff the Green
2013-08-01, 06:57 AM
For sorcerers, dread necromancers, beguilers, warmages, and I suppose bards, there's the Fiend Blooded from Heroes of Horror.

Aside from the fact that you can't actually finish it pre-epic without being a bard , dipping, or some workarounds (it requires Knowledge [the planes] 8, and out of the classes that cast arcane spells spontaneously only bards get it as a class skill), it's a pretty decent class. You only lose one CL, and only if you take the 10th level. Every even level you can add a [fire], Illusion, Necromancy, or Enchantment spell to your spells known from any list, and you get some nice minor benefits like poison resistance (and eventual immunity), stat boosts, and your familiar becomes fiendish.

Semi-ninjaed.

Edit:
FYI, the adjectives for 'demon' and 'devil' are 'demonic' and 'diabolic', respectively. ('Diabolical' works for devils too.)

Karnith
2013-08-01, 07:12 AM
There is also Acolyte of the Skin (from Complete Arcane), which is frankly an awful class, and Disciple of Ashardalon (from Draconomicon), which you're unlikely to get into and even more unlikely to finish pre-epic.

Khedrac
2013-08-01, 11:49 AM
Aside from the fact that you can't actually finish it pre-epic without being a bard , dipping, or some workarounds (it requires Knowledge [the planes] 8, and out of the classes that cast arcane spells spontaneously only bards get it as a class skill), it's a pretty decent class.
Fiendish Codex I is your friend - one of the Abyssal Heritor feats makes Knowledge Planes a class skill.

Actually that line of feats is another way of making a character more fiendish...

Jeff the Green
2013-08-01, 11:57 AM
Fiendish Codex I is your friend - one of the Abyssal Heritor feats makes Knowledge Planes a class skill.

Actually that line of feats is another way of making a character more fiendish...

There are other ways (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0) too.

Khedrac
2013-08-01, 03:47 PM
There are other ways (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0) too.

You realise that only lists 2 - one is the name of the feat I mentioned and the other? Well good luck getting spontaneous summon nature's ally on an arcane caster...

That said there are quite a few ways to get all skills as class skills iirc.

Karnith
2013-08-01, 04:17 PM
You realise that only lists 2 - one is the name of the feat I mentioned and the other?
By my count it lists nine; one way to get any skill as a class skill, two ways to get all Knowledge skills as class skills, four ways to get any one Knowledge skill as a class skill, and two ways to get Knowledge (the Planes) as a class skill.

There are also Planar Sorcerer substitution levels and Human Paragon levels, neither of which are on that list, and probably some other ways.

Marnath
2013-08-01, 05:00 PM
Edit:
FYI, the adjectives for 'demon' and 'devil' are 'demonic' and 'diabolic', respectively. ('Diabolical' works for devils too.)

This is D&D, so it's actually "Tanar'ri" and "Baatezu." :smalltongue:

Jeff the Green
2013-08-01, 05:28 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure those are nouns.

There's also the demonologist and diabolist in BoVD, but those both kind of suck.

Malimar
2013-08-01, 05:34 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure those are nouns.

I think they can be used as either nouns or adjectives. However, the Tanar'ri and Baatezu are only subsets of all demons and devils. There are also e.g. obyriths and loumara.

Karnith
2013-08-01, 05:35 PM
You might also consider the various Thrall of X classes in the Book of Vile Darkness and Dragon Magazine. They don't necessarily make you more demonic or diabolic, but they generally grant you a number of abilities that bring you closer to your fiendish patron.

What about the Obyriths!? Won't someone please think of the Obyriths!

CRtwenty
2013-08-01, 07:52 PM
What about the Obyriths!? Won't someone please think of the Obyriths!

Hey Obyriths got some love in the Fiendish Codex. Meanwhile the Baatorians are crying in the corner, completely forgotten.

Darth Stabber
2013-08-01, 08:40 PM
Hey Obyriths got some love in the Fiendish Codex. Meanwhile the Baatorians are crying in the corner, completely forgotten.

If memory serves they are crying in the extinct corner. Asmodeus is not known for his mercy.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-01, 08:42 PM
You can gradually gain Half-Fiend (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) (or half-dragon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a), which is better than taking DD). I'd probably adapt it to some sort of variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x&page=1) based on what you want out of it.

CRtwenty
2013-08-01, 08:53 PM
If memory serves they are crying in the extinct corner. Asmodeus is not known for his mercy.

Oh he tries. But Baator itself likes to remind him that he's still only a temporary occupant by spawning them occasionally. IIRC there's one or two of the layers that have places where Baatezu have the tendency to "mysteriously vanish". Those places are also filled with Baatorian ruins. They're still around, just greatly weakened and biding their time until they think they have a chance against big A. (like pretty much everything else in Hell)

Also in at least one story I remember one of the Archdevils (Dispater I think) was revealed to be a Baatorian who'd sold out his race to Asmodeus in exchange for his position in the new order.