PDA

View Full Version : New topics always disappear

ramrod
2013-08-01, 08:43 AM
Hi,

I have posted several posts on this forum under two different usernames, but each time I do, the posts stay for a while and then they go?? Any idea why? A few hours ago I posted about my unarmed swordsage and now it has gone.

ramrod
2013-08-01, 08:44 AM
And now it has reappeared....

OzymandiasX
2013-08-01, 09:03 AM
Three possible answers:

Topics with new responses move to the top of the list. And since this forum is particularly busy, a post with no new responses will move off the first page in a couple of hours.
If you use the back button to navigate your browser, it won't refresh the page and will show you the version of the page that you loaded at a previous time. Try hitting F5 to force a refresh.
You could be on lots of drugs?

Cheiromancer
2013-08-01, 09:37 AM
Hi,

I have posted several posts on this forum under two different usernames, but each time I do, the posts stay for a while and then they go?? Any idea why? A few hours ago I posted about my unarmed swordsage and now it has gone.

I would encourage you to read about Multiple/Alternate accounts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39599). My understanding is that we are not supposed to post under different usernames.

ahenobarbi
2013-08-01, 10:03 AM
And now it has reappeared....

Sound like OzymandiasX was right.

Three possible answers:
Topics with new responses move to the top of the list. And since this forum is particularly busy, a post with no new responses will move off the first page in a couple of hours.

OzymandiasX - your third point is probably against forum rules (insulting an user).

I have posted several posts on this forum under two different usernames

Having multiple accounts on the forums is against forum rules.

ramrod
2013-08-01, 10:39 AM
I don't have the first account any more, it suffered with the disappearing topics and didn't matter what I did to try and sort it, so that account is defunct.

They definitely went somewhere, I even tried to look at posts that I have made through my profile, then said that I had no permission to view that page :smallannoyed:

Psyren
2013-08-01, 10:41 AM
Board/Site Issues (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

Khedrac
2013-08-01, 11:46 AM
They definitely went somewhere, I even tried to look at posts that I have made through my profile, then said that I had no permission to view that page :smallannoyed:
Actually no. The search function is indefinitely temporarily suspended - and the link to your posts on the profile page uses the search function. The best way of searching is to use your favourite search engine with something like "site:giantitp".

I too suspect your posts may have have suffered from no responses before they were moved off the first page by newer posts. I suspect a lot of people never check the second page (I often don't for speed).

ericp65
2013-08-01, 11:51 AM
Three possible answers:

If you use the back button to navigate your browser, it won't refresh the page and will show you the version of the page that you loaded at a previous time. Try hitting F5 to force a refresh.
You could be on lots of drugs?

Re: F5...depends on your browser. F5 does nothing with Camino, for example.

Maginomicon
2013-08-01, 12:02 PM

Actually no. The search function is indefinitely temporarily suspended - and the link to your posts on the profile page uses the search function. The best way of searching is to use your favourite search engine with something like "site:giantitp".
The best way I've found to get around looking for your own threads is to use the forum's "subscribe to topic" feature to subscribe immediately to any threads I've made and create a subscription folder titled "My Threads". Then, any time I want to search for my threads, I have a special place in my User CP I can look.

As for specific posts or threads that I like or have made that I reference frequently or want instant access to, I usually put a short link to them in my sig. (as seen below, likely)

Psyren
2013-08-01, 12:11 PM
I just point Google here (via "site:giantitp.com") and, if I'm looking for something I wrote, include "Psyren {part I remembered typing}" in the query. That usually does the trick.

That, or it leads me to someone who quoted me, which then leads me to me.