PDA

View Full Version : Cure X Mass Wounds & Linked/Pooled HP?

Aldhissla
2013-08-01, 10:53 AM
Hello all! I was researching what is quickly becoming a new favorite monster of mine lately; the Legion Devil or Merregon from the Fiendish Codex II. They possess amazing bonuses to fighting as a group, including a complete pooling of all of their hit points together, making focus-firing tricky.

My question for you all boils down to this; suppose a company of them were being led by a Cleric of Asmodeus or some such, and that Cleric cast something in the Cure Mass Wounds line upon a chunk of the group. Would the spell cure each individual, thus restoring gobs of HP to the collective like I am thinking it would?

(To my knowledge,) it seems RAW might not have considered that, and just stated that "if any devil receives healing apply it to the devils’ total pool."

erikun
2013-08-01, 11:07 AM
Cure Mass Wounds targets each individual within its range. If there are multiple demon in range when cast, then multiple demons can be healed by the spell.

It sounds like all the healing for each one combine and go into the pool, although I'm not familiar with Merregon to say for certain.

Aldhissla
2013-08-01, 11:10 AM
I imagined it would go like that, but knowing that D&D generally tells you to round down or go with the less beneficial option, I was second-guessing. Although- this instance would be less beneficial, at least to the PCs. :smallbiggrin:

gr8artist
2013-08-01, 11:14 AM
One way to think of it: the devils pitch in and loan each other some health when one gets hurt. But they still have their own health and damage. they just mitigate harm by spreading it out among the group. Nothing about this would nerf their healing ability, and if they all got regen 1, then all hell breaks loose.

Aldhissla
2013-08-01, 11:17 AM
[...] and if they all got regen 1, then all hell breaks loose.

Hmm... *Rubs hands together devilishl-* okay, sorry, bad pun. Thank you, all!

Segev
2013-08-01, 01:46 PM
Think of it this way: If your party wizard nailed a bunch of these guys with a Fireball, would each take damage, impacting the entire pool? If so, then the same would happen with a Mass Cure.

Aldhissla
2013-08-01, 01:47 PM
Think of it this way: If your party wizard nailed a bunch of these guys with a Fireball, would each take damage, impacting the entire pool? If so, then the same would happen with a Mass Cure.

That is very true, actually. Assuming the fireball makes it through the collective saves and all, but yes.

Rebel7284
2013-08-01, 01:50 PM
The benefit can be a drawback if they all fail a save against dominate monster. :P

Aldhissla
2013-08-01, 01:52 PM
Which is why I'm looking into means of giving the leader or other members obscenely high saves and/or die rerolls.