PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Question about accessible arcane spells

ericp65
2013-08-01, 12:52 PM
What's up, playgrounders?

If a character's arcane caster level is 25, and her arcane spellcasting classes are Wizard 1, Duskblade 5, Spellsword 1, Jade Phoenix Mage 10, and Abjurant Champion 5, how are her spells known and spells per day determined, by number of spells and spell level? Does she follow the Wizard spell progression, or is it figured another way?

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-01, 12:57 PM
Question one: where are you slapping those jade phoenix/spell sword caster levels? You choose where they go, but once you choose and apply them they stick there (and we can determine your casting). Regardless of how you apply them, it will boil down to you cast as a Wizard X (x >= 1) and Duskblade Y (y >= 5).

erikun
2013-08-01, 12:59 PM
Well, first, you character does not have just a single Arcane Caster Level. They'd have a Wizard Caster Level and a Duskblade Caster Level, and those would increase separately from each other.

If, say, all your prestige class "+1 level of existing class" bonuses go towards your Duskblade casting, then your character would have 1st level Wizard spellcasting (and Wizard CL1) along with 19th level Duskblade spellcasting (and Duskblade CL19). If all the bonuses went towards improving the Wizard casting, then you would have 15th level Wizard spellcasting and 5th level Duskblade spellcasting.

ericp65
2013-08-01, 02:44 PM
Question one: where are you slapping those jade phoenix/spell sword caster levels? You choose where they go, but once you choose and apply them they stick there (and we can determine your casting). Regardless of how you apply them, it will boil down to you cast as a Wizard X (x >= 1) and Duskblade Y (y >= 5).

Wizard 1 is at character level 2.
Duskblade levels are at character levels 2 - 5, and 7 - 8.
Spellsword is at character level 6.
JPM is at character levels 10 - 17, and 25 - 27.

This is a 32nd level character. I was going to declare that all "+1 level of existing spellcaster class" increases would go to Wizard, based on the supposition that Wizard has the widest range and best progression of spell availability of all the character's arcane casting classes.

ericp65
2013-08-01, 08:48 PM
I think I've got it sorted now...

With all caster level advancements besides those from Duskblade dedicated to Wizard, the character in question ends up with:

Wizard -> CL 18
Duskblade -> CL 5

If this is correct, I'll run with it.

Thanks, all!