PDA

View Full Version : PEACH fighter feat 3.5/ Pathfinder

KnightOfV
2013-08-01, 02:04 PM
Deadly Reflexes (Combat)
Your reflexes are as quick as the wind, and your attacks flow like water. Enemies approach you at their peril.

Prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, DEX 15, BAB +4

Benefit: Whenever an enemy enters a square you threaten, it provokes an attack of opportunity. You cannot take another opportunity attack on that enemy this round.

Normal: A character without this feat can make attacks of opportunity when an enemy leaves a square you threaten.

My favorite melee build was always a Fighter/Barbarian with a Glaive and combat reflexes, and I always thought non-reach builds needed more ways to get extra attacks besides cleave/ full-attack.

Thematically, its the kind of thing melee should be able to do (and you always see this in movies and shows). Mechanically, it is a way for melee to excel against multiple weak foes, and deal an extra attack to stronger front-line monsters. This does not help at all against ranged enemies and spell casters, the usual bane of the Fighter's existence, but at least it will let melee win straight up brawls which is supposed to be their niche.

The feat requirements are there to give the Fighter class first dibs, (also I find the Dodge and Mobility pretty decent in Pathfinder play) while still letting Barbarians, Rangers and the like have the chance to get this at a later level if they invest. Requirements also encourage a DEX focused fighter, maybe with a finessable weapon like an Elven Curved Blade (Pathfinder).

It's so simple I am kind of amazed that the designers never come up with something like this, as it seems like the kind of thing melee should have (maybe even automatically). Number of Opportunity attacks limits the usage, meaning a character can still be swarmed, he now just can put up a fight first.

What do you playgrounders think? Overpowered? Not enough? Change the requirements? Curious to if you would use this feat/ allow this feat in a game.

DecimalPoint
2013-08-13, 02:11 PM
I have one person in my group who has vowed to only move via five-foot steps while in combat; he's always looking for ways to get the drop on his foes by getting AoO and I think this feat would be perfect for him. I would definitely use this in a game!

I would however be tempted to drop the mobility prerequisite as I don't think it fits with the feel of the feat :)

BWR
2013-08-13, 03:54 PM
Drop both Dodge and Mobility as requirements. They don't really make any sense thematically. After all, you aren't the one dodging blows, you are trying to hit other people. Apart from that, I could see Combat Reflexes -based builds being interested in this feat.

DecimalPoint
2013-08-13, 05:07 PM
Drop both Dodge and Mobility as requirements.

I was going to suggest dropping dodge as well, I don't know why I didn't :smallconfused:

AttilaTheGeek
2013-08-14, 07:30 PM
I'd also lower the dex prerequisite to 14, or even 12. Fighters have enough stats to worry about without needing a solid dexterity on top of high strength and con and not dumping intelligence or wisdom.

Network
2013-08-14, 10:39 PM
I just found a contradiction in the rules concerning moving and AoOs : while it is explicitely stated that moving out of a threatened square provokes AoOs, the table at the right of this section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#move) of the SRD states that any movement provokes AoOs, making this feat useless. Is there any official answer about this?

DecimalPoint
2013-08-15, 02:35 AM
Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity.

emboldened is key, in the SRD, actually moving doesn't provoke AoO (unless out of threatened square), what this is meaning though is a move action does provoke AoO e.g. opening a door or standing up from prone.

Network
2013-08-15, 09:27 AM
emboldened is key, in the SRD, actually moving doesn't provoke AoO (unless out of threatened square), what this is meaning though is a move action does provoke AoO e.g. opening a door or standing up from prone.
I don't think you understood my point. The table explicitely states Action : Move | AoO : Yes. There is a contradiction as I mentioned, but nothing in the rules state that moving doesn't provoke AoO, and the table states the opposite. If WotC answered the contradiction, feel free to post a link, but by RAW, moving does, in fact, provoke AoOs.

DecimalPoint
2013-08-15, 11:39 AM
True, but a AoO is a single melee attack, so if you're moving from within melee range, you provoke anyway, and given that you provoke when you start the movement, not when you finish, then if you're moving from outside melee range to inside then you wouldn't provoke, thereby validating this feat. Do you get what I mean; I feel like I could word that better? :smallconfused:

Network
2013-08-15, 12:09 PM
True, but a AoO is a single melee attack, so if you're moving from within melee range, you provoke anyway, and given that you provoke when you start the movement, not when you finish, then if you're moving from outside melee range to inside then you wouldn't provoke, thereby validating this feat. Do you get what I mean; I feel like I could word that better? :smallconfused:
Ok, I see your point now. The good thing is that it's still possible to get an AoO on a charge, if you have reach.