PDA

View Full Version : Anyspell and Ultimate Magus

Ruethgar
2013-08-01, 02:20 PM
Does Anyspell allow a cleric to cast an actual full and true arcane spell or is it considered a divine casting, in other words would they be able to qualify as an arcane and divine spellcaster like sorcerers can?

Is a warlock considered a spontaneous caster? I get that they wouldn't be able to qualify for the ability to cast level 1 spells spontaneously, takes two feats for that, but would the advancement of ultimate magus' spontaneous side be applicable to warlocks?

Segev
2013-08-01, 03:15 PM
Can't answer on Anyspell, but I can say that no, a Warlock is not a "spontaneous caster." He is an arcane caster, but neither "spontaneous" nor "prepared."

Ruethgar
2013-08-01, 03:18 PM
Bah, that's what I thought.

Alaris
2013-08-01, 03:28 PM
Interesting... well, it says that you prepare "Any Arcane Spell" and that when you cast it, "It works just as though cast by a Wizard of your cleric level."

So I'm inclined to say that, for as long as you have that spell that was prepared using Anyspell, you count as an Arcane Caster as well. At least, that appears to be the way it reads.

Grim Reader
2013-08-01, 06:29 PM
I don't think you cast the Arcane spell. I think you cast Anyspell, a divine spell.

Verditude
2013-08-01, 07:20 PM
I don't think you cast the Arcane spell. I think you cast Anyspell, a divine spell.

Anyspell's effect is to prepare an arcane spell in one of your Cleric slots, which you can then cast as an arcane spell (if Alaris' reading is right) or as a divine spell (if the trick doesn't work.) Each comes with its own ways of using it to mess with PrC qualification; if it's an arcane spell, you can get into Mystic Theurge (or any arcane-casting advancing class that says it advances "whatever class allowed you to cast X-level arcane spells," btw) using just Anyspell and thus (for the theurge) lose only one caster level on the Cleric side (you need to take one level in an actual arcane casting class). If it's a divine spell, the abuses are much more limited and theoretical; if there are any PrCs where a prerequisite is "must be able to cast X as a divine spell", where X is a spell on an arcane list and some divine caster list, but not the cleric list, Anyspell can be used to qualify.

One not particularly optimal but interesting trick that can be pulled with the arcane option is the use of Mystic Theurge to advance warlock invoking in an Eldritch Disciple build. Anyspell qualifies you, but you can apply the arcane side to invoking, by the way the classes are written. You need to be character level 5 before you enter Eldritch Disciple barring questionably legal negative level shenanigans, so Cleric 4/Warlock 1/ED 10/MT 5 gets you 19th level Cleric casting and 16th level invoking (so one dark invocation), and if you take practiced spellcaster on your warlock side, your DM might rule that it advances your eldritch blast damage to that of a warlock 20.

Edit: if you can use the Dragonlance book Legend of the Twins, you can use the Dynamic Priest feat to key bonus spells and max spell level off your CHA, making you almost SAD (if you use cleric spells with saves, those are still keyed off WIS, but if you focus on persisting buffs that isn't as important.)