PDA

View Full Version : Simple spell questions

Melcar
2013-08-01, 06:38 PM
Hi fellow scribes.

I was simply wondering, whether or not Freezing Glanze would affect a lich? Or basically anything immune/resistance to cold?

Thanks

Nettlekid
2013-08-01, 06:48 PM
I believe it would. It doesn't do Cold damage, so resistance/immunity to Cold doesn't help you. And it's like like Cold-immune creatures are immune to all [Cold] spells, because several [Cold] spells aid those creatures (like Algid Enhancement.) So it looks like it would fly.

Also, congrats for finding like, the ONE non-Mind Affecting Enchantment spell. Other Enchantments wouldn't work on a Lich simply by virtue of being immune to mind-affecting effects.

EDIT: EXCEPT it states Living creature. Tough luck. Doesn't work on a Lich.

Zanos
2013-08-01, 06:53 PM
I believe it would. It doesn't do Cold damage, so resistance/immunity to Cold doesn't help you. And it's like like Cold-immune creatures are immune to all [Cold] spells, because several [Cold] spells aid those creatures (like Algid Enhancement.) So it looks like it would fly.

Also, congrats for finding like, the ONE non-Mind Affecting Enchantment spell. Other Enchantments wouldn't work on a Lich simply by virtue of being immune to mind-affecting effects.

EDIT: EXCEPT it states Living creature. Tough luck. Doesn't work on a Lich.
There's a caveat somewhere that ALL enchantment spells are mind-affecting, regardless of whether or not they have the tag.
EDIT: Found it. PHB, 173. Just says:
All enchantments are mind-affecting spells.

nedz
2013-08-01, 06:59 PM
There's a caveat somewhere that ALL enchantment spells are mind-affecting, regardless of whether or not they have the tag.

The almost all have the tag, the very few that don't are probably printing errors.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-08-01, 07:49 PM

I believe the lack of a tag would mean that it is a specific exception to the general rule of mind affecting enchantment spells.

HunterOfJello
2013-08-01, 07:52 PM
The one other Enchantment spell without the descriptor that I remember finding once was used to give a person better resistance against mind-effecting spells. That one probably wouldn't be too useful to a Lich either.

TuggyNE
2013-08-01, 09:55 PM
I believe the lack of a tag would mean that it is a specific exception to the general rule of mind affecting enchantment spells.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so no; it would need a specific provision (i.e., "This spell is not mind-affecting") to override the general rule. If, on the other hand, the general rule was "Most enchantments are mind-affecting", you would be correct.

Melcar
2013-08-02, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the help guys!:smallsmile: