PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation

Ruethgar
2013-08-01, 06:49 PM
How long does it take to activate Prestidigitation after you have cast it? I recall someone on another post saying that activating a spell was a standard action, but I can't find that in the rules.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-01, 06:51 PM
Anything unspecified is generally considered to default to a standard action.

FireGriver
2013-08-01, 07:15 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm

Casting time: 1 Standard Action. Was that what you were searching for?

Alex12
2013-08-01, 07:17 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm

Casting time: 1 Standard Action. Was that what you were searching for?

I'm pretty sure it's more like "my prestidigitation is currently occupied cleaning something. How long does it take me to change it to making my everlasting rations taste like bacon?"

FireGriver
2013-08-01, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it's more like "my prestidigitation is currently occupied cleaning something. How long does it take me to change it to making my everlasting rations taste like bacon?"

Oh, I see. Then I would say that's up to the DM (as far as I know there is no RAW about that.)

It could be interpreted as to take different actions to do different things with the spell (as in, you can slowly lift an objet, but doesn't specifies at what speed you can create something), so short as a free action or so long as a few rounds...

OTOH, you could rule it as activating a magic item, and that would be a standar action, as per the rules.

Ruethgar
2013-08-01, 07:31 PM
I knew the initial casting was a standard action, but the effect of the spell is that you can perform minor tricks for an hour. It goes into details as to what those effects could be, but gives no indication of how long it takes to produce one of said effects.

Lightlawbliss
2013-08-01, 07:39 PM
RAW say nothing, so it's up to the dm. My dm's (and myself) all rate it under concentrationg on a spell when you use it.

TuggyNE
2013-08-01, 10:16 PM
Concentrating on a spell, which is sometimes needed during a duration in order to accomplish some specific effect (e.g. arcane eye, dominate person, arcane sight, permanent image), is a standard action. Redirecting a spell to a new target (e.g. flaming sphere, animate objects) is a move action. I'd suggest that having prestidigitation switch which target it's performing a single action on without changing actions should be a move action, but changing the action it's performing might be either a standard or a move.