PDA

View Full Version : Who should kill Nale?

St Fan
2013-08-01, 07:18 PM
Okay, speculation isn't usually my cup of tea, but this is one prospect I can't help to ponder, and would like to know the other forumites' opinions about it.

We certainly all agree that Nale is a villain and should be finished off at some time along the storyline, maybe shortly, maybe late, but that's not the point.

No, the important thing is... from a story viewpoint, WHO should finish off Nale?

Malack is already out of the running, definitively.

So, will it be Tarquin, his own father, for failing him and destroying a valued ally and friend?

Or Roy, being the hero, and already fed up with Nale's nastiness, to stop him from killing anybody...

Or Elan? His own twin brother? That would be quite adequately dramatic, but does Elan have it in him?

Haley, to protect her boyfriend, wouldn't pull her punches, on the other hand.

Durkon, to avenge his vampire master? Or just to stop another source of evil, if he retrieve his previous personality?

Belkar, of course, would enjoy the opportunity himself, character development or not. It's still murder, anyway.

Vaarsuvius, for all her current self-doubt, wouldn't hesitate either to smoke the evil jackass. Preferably along with Zzd'tri, if only as a bonus.

Or a Linear Guild member... who know, with an evil party, Nale is always at risk for some betrayal. Sure, Zzd'tri and Sabine seem very loyal to him, but you never know...

Of course, someone else is still possible. If he ever get into Xykon or Redcloak, he'll be toasted pretty fast... but would that be satisfying?

Kish
2013-08-01, 07:28 PM
Durkon.

Immediately.

Because he can.

EnragedFilia
2013-08-01, 07:32 PM
Everybody. At once. Because it would be funny. Remember: Jokes > Plot > Rules.

Especially with Yakety Sax playing. He just seems to be the type who ought to get killed with Yakety Sax playing.

SavageWombat
2013-08-01, 07:33 PM
Nobody kills him. He lives.

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-01, 07:34 PM
:thog: After learning Nale doesn't care about him.

Math_Mage
2013-08-01, 07:34 PM
Durkon.

Immediately.

Because he can.
Practically speaking, Durkon has considerably less in reserve than Z, though he does at least have access to vampire abilities he didn't before.

Dramatically speaking, having Nale die before we get to see Tarquin's reaction to him killing Malack seems rather out of order. Not to mention a few other unresolved plot points revolving around Nale (e.g. the impact of Sabine's change of loyalties).

Death by DM
2013-08-01, 07:40 PM
Well... I think The Giant's going to wrap up the strip fairly soon (strip #1000?), and Thog's already gone, as well as Malack, Durkon(non-vampire), and possibly Sabine. My bets are on Durkon. Look at him in 906. That's a vampire dwarf cleric that wants revenge.

Demolator
2013-08-01, 07:48 PM
This is a tricky one. Elan already let him live once, so I think he'd let him live again. Very slight chance, now that Elan's acting a bit more mature. We'll see what develops.

Sabine's his girlfriend. Sabine won't.

Zz'dtri will either pull some epic betrayal or stick with him until the end because I think they're bros. So there's a slight chance for Zz'dtri just because epic betrayals are epic.

The IFCC may want Nale taken out at some point, but if Sabine refuses, they might need another way or something, but I'm betting the IFCC will at least WANT to kill him, even if they don't/can't themselves. Maybe they'll use Quarr.

Haley? Maybe. She could do it, but I don't know if it's really her kill. It's a slight possibility.

Tarquin's got a good shot at it. He's got a bunch of good reasons and can pull it off. My problems with Tarquin doing it are
-Nale's been with us almost the whole comic. I don't see him getting taken out once and for all by Tarquin, someone who's only been with us for the current arc. We could probably see more of him though so this could be negated.
-A father killing his own son is DARK. I don't know if OotS can get that dark. I mean, it's different if it's the other way around, and if it's bro v bro, but forealz.

Like with Haley, it's just not Durkon/Belkar's kill.

I see V being too hung up on Z to kill Nale. She could help fight him but I don't think she'd land the final blow.

Roy...Both team leaders, going wit to wit and sword to sword. Roy's got a good chance.

I'd say it's between Roy, Tarquin, and Elan.

Edit: Team Evil could kill him but that'd be anticlimactic.

Flame of Anor
2013-08-01, 07:53 PM
Durkon.

Immediately.

Because he can.

Can he really? He's spent a lot of spells and his new vampire abilities are useless.

Nobody kills him. He lives.

You mean he wins? Geez, grandpa, what did you read me this thing for?

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-01, 07:59 PM
Can he really? He's spent a lot of spells and his new vampire abilities are useless.

Elan will fight him, to the pain.The first thing he will lose will be his feet below the ankles. Then his hands at the wrists. Next his nose (wait, does he even have a nose?). The next thing he will lose will be his left eye followed by his right. His ears he'll keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing his hideousness will be his to cherish. Every babe that weeps at his approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in his perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means Elan leave him in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

EnragedFilia
2013-08-01, 08:02 PM
Elan will fight him, to the pain.The first thing he will lose will be his feet below the ankles. Then his hands at the wrists. Next his nose (wait, does he even have a nose?). The next thing he will lose will be his left eye followed by his right. His ears he'll keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing his hideousness will be his to cherish. Every babe that weeps at his approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in his perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means Elan leave him in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

That doesn't really sound like a happy ending...

TRH
2013-08-01, 08:08 PM
The Snarl. He'll pull off another of his improbably complex schemes, defeat both his father and Team Evil with it, and have Zz'drti and either Hilgya or Leeky enact a modified version of the Snarl ritual that he sold his soul to the IFCC to obtain. Only it'll actually give control to the Fiends, and as they reveal their treachery, Nale gets undone. Naturally, no one will see any of this coming, least of all me. :smalltongue:

137beth
2013-08-01, 08:24 PM

You forgot that Elan had his strength and dexterity damaged to 1 before hand.

Vemynal
2013-08-01, 08:29 PM
My bet is that Sabine's relationship with the IFCC will get him killed. Not specifically that she will kill him but that link will be his downfall. Its already been foreshadowed with her having to choose between her loyalties.

Demolator
2013-08-01, 08:34 PM
My bet is that Sabine's relationship with the IFCC will get him killed. Not specifically that she will kill him but that link will be his downfall. Its already been foreshadowed with her having to choose between her loyalties.

I always imagined that'd be HER downfall.

Harbinger
2013-08-01, 08:39 PM
:thog: After learning Nale doesn't care about him.

Well, I was going to say Vampire Durkon...

But this would just be too great. I want this to happen.

Mutant Sheep
2013-08-01, 08:42 PM

Yes. Hit him with a hammer once, three times tops, and that Nale is pounded.:smalltongue::smallbiggrin: (Nale does seem rather wounded, and Durkon, while probably low on useful spells, has his vampire fast healing and heavy armor. Melee wise, he is tough to murder.)

Well, That Guy with the Halberd is going to finish him, he has to avenge the prison guards. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html):smalltongue:

TRH
2013-08-01, 08:42 PM
Well, I was going to say Vampire Durkon...

But this would just be too great. I want this to happen.

It wouldn't happen unless for some reason Nale didn't have any ice cream to use as a bribe. You don't expect Thog to remember little details like that for more than 15 minutes at a time, do you?

Steward
2013-08-01, 08:44 PM
Yes. Hit him with a hammer once, three times tops, and that Nale is pounded.:smalltongue::smallbiggrin: (Nale does seem rather wounded, and Durkon, while probably low on useful spells, has his vampire fast healing and heavy armor. Melee wise, he is tough to murder.)

Well, That Guy with the Halberd is going to finish him, he has to avenge the prison guards. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html):smalltongue:

Do we know that Z is out of that dispel magic mojo? If he isn't, he could cook Durkon, right?

EnragedFilia
2013-08-01, 08:49 PM
Maybe if Durkon wasn't currently holding the staff containing charges of protection from sunlight. Nale could try to disarm it from him as well, but with no surprise round it would probably prove a bit harder the second time.

Flame of Anor
2013-08-01, 08:51 PM
Do we know that Z is out of that dispel magic mojo? If he isn't, he could cook Durkon, right?

Durkon has the staff, though. Nale would have to disarm him, which he would presumably be more prepared for than Malack was. (Although I'm not sure how that would be reflected in the rules.)

137beth
2013-08-01, 08:53 PM

I always imagined that'd be HER downfall.

Oh, I think it will definitely be a huge part of the downfall of either Nale or Sabine (or both.)
Now, when Sabine tried to boost up Nale's confidence before they walked into the order's ambush, I thought it was Sabine trying to get Nale overconfident so that he would cause more destructive unnecessary conflict. So if I had to take a guess, I'd predict that her loyalties actually lie with the archfiends, but I'm not really sure...
and I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to stay on good terms with Nale AND the IFCC, but one or both of them decides that it isn't enough and does away with her.

dps
2013-08-01, 09:01 PM
Durkon has the staff, though. Nale would have to disarm him, which he would presumably be more prepared for than Malack was. (Although I'm not sure how that would be reflected in the rules.)

Rules-wise, I think Nale would have had a massive circumstance bonus to his disarm attempt vs Malack, which he certainly wouldn't have against Durkon at this point.

Flame of Anor
2013-08-01, 09:04 PM
So if I had to take a guess, I'd predict that her loyalties actually lie with the archfiends

I think you should reread 804. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html)

137beth
2013-08-01, 09:15 PM
I think you should reread 804. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html)

I think you should reread 856. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0856.html)
(anyways, I took 804 as Sabine not liking Qarr, and 856 as a (more subtle) indication that she was still manipulating Nale...and I already explained this exact point in the post you quoted, so...)

EnragedFilia
2013-08-01, 09:29 PM
Oh, I think it will definitely be a huge part of the downfall of either Nale or Sabine (or both.)
Now, when Sabine tried to boost up Nale's confidence before they walked into the order's ambush, I thought it was Sabine trying to get Nale overconfident so that he would cause more destructive unnecessary conflict. So if I had to take a guess, I'd predict that her loyalties actually lie with the archfiends, but I'm not really sure...
and I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to stay on good terms with Nale AND the IFCC, but one or both of them decides that it isn't enough and does away with her.

I think it could be just as compelling if circumstances contrive such that when she's finally forced to decide between Nale and the Fiends, the entire conflict ends up resting upon her decision. At that point, she could either find herself unable to decide and by inaction allow the heroes to foil everyone, or the internal conflict could simply destroy her entirely (although if played straight that might signal yet another all-time nadir for originality, making a twist of some sort more likely, just like last time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0553.html)).

Of course, the Fiends using latent mind-control of some kind or simply triggering her remote self-destruct command would also be a classic of the genre. Possibly several of the genres, for that matter).

DolGrenn
2013-08-01, 10:29 PM

:elan:"Bluff, bluff, bluff, bluff my evil twin brother with an extreme threat so that he doesn't realize that I don't have the strength to stand!":smallbiggrin:

TRH
2013-08-01, 10:35 PM
:elan:"Bluff, bluff, bluff, bluff my evil twin brother with an extreme threat so that he doesn't realize that I don't have the strength to stand!":smallbiggrin:

I think he rolled his Sense Motive. :smallwink:

Lombard
2013-08-01, 10:39 PM
Sabine's his girlfriend. Sabine won't.

Lol let me refer you to a little site called cnn.com

EnragedFilia
2013-08-01, 10:47 PM
cnn.com

You get'ch'er dag'ol reality outta 'ere! We don't take kindly ta all'a'at up in 'ese parts!

Gift Jeraff
2013-08-01, 10:53 PM
It wouldn't happen unless for some reason Nale didn't have any ice cream to use as a bribe. You don't expect Thog to remember little details like that for more than 15 minutes at a time, do you?

If he Rages immediately after realizing the truth, I don't think even ice cream could save Nale.

Demolator
2013-08-01, 10:56 PM
Does Nale actually not care about Thog? I don't remember this. He's gotta at least care A LITTLE. Nale probably thinks he's dead. (All of this is probably wrong, feel free to correct me)

TRH
2013-08-01, 11:08 PM
Does Nale actually not care about Thog? I don't remember this. He's gotta at least care A LITTLE. Nale probably thinks he's dead. (All of this is probably wrong, feel free to correct me)

Probability of Thog getting hit with anvil: 84% (acceptable)

Probability of Nale getting hit with anvil: 3% (needs work)

excerpt from to-do list:

Find new fighter for afterwards.

Flame of Anor
2013-08-01, 11:13 PM
I think you should reread 856. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0856.html)
(anyways, I took 804 as Sabine not liking Qarr, and 856 as a (more subtle) indication that she was still manipulating Nale...and I already explained this exact point in the post you quoted, so...)

It's just that 856 is pretty vague, and 804 is so clearly foreshadowing.

JCAll
2013-08-01, 11:44 PM
There's always the chance Z will betray him, because...Drow...but he seems pretty loyal so it's not likely.

It would be interesting to see someone bluff Thog into attacking Nale, the same way Nale almost got Elan to attack Haley in Azure City. But I doubt he'd turn on him for his own reasons, and his Rage on whoever cause him to kill his friend would be EPIC.

Sabine legitimately loves Nale and wouldn't betray him unless the IFCC ordered her to. And even then the odds are 50/50.

Targuin would kill him in a second if it furthered his own goals. He might even enjoy it, it's a great defining character moment.

Elan would reluctantly kill him but would hate himself for it. Even if Nale deserves it, which he does.

My best guess is the IFCC kills him if he lives long enough to outlive his usefulness, setting up Sabine to betray the IFCC and bring them down. Then her and Nale can be on the lower planes together forever.

137beth
2013-08-01, 11:54 PM
It's just that 856 is pretty vague, and 804 is so clearly foreshadowing.

And here I thought that 804 was vague about where her loyalties lie, while 856 was clearly forshadowing a backstabbing of Nale.

mhsmith
2013-08-01, 11:59 PM
I'm thinking that Nale's downfall comes from the side of Evil, mainly because of the problem raised here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html). Even if the good guys smoke him, there's a reasonable chance he'd just bounce back later on (especially given that he has evil allies in IFCC and possibly elsewhere who prefer him alive).

So I'm thinking that sooner or later he's going to throw down with Daddy. And while it's possible that Nale somehow wins (it's just about the only way to give Tarquin a death that DOESN'T help make a legend out of him), I have a fairly hard time seeing Nale winning that one, especially if it's soon. He's got himself, he's got Z, Sabine is elsewhere, and he's up against Tarquin (who doesn't have the big glaring weakness that Malack had) and whatever Secret Weapon X is. Unless Nale secretly controls that weapon, or somehow Nale's level has suddenly moved above Tarquin's (dubious given how easy Tarquin was handling OOTS not long ago), it's 2 guys against 1 much higher level adventurer who's much more competant than Nale.

FlawedParadigm
2013-08-02, 02:32 AM
Everyone taking turns if Nale can be tricked into getting himself res-killed.

Flame of Anor
2013-08-02, 04:20 AM
And here I thought that 804 was vague about where her loyalties lie, while 856 was clearly forshadowing a backstabbing of Nale.

How do you get that from 856?

St Fan
2013-08-02, 04:22 AM
I'd say it's between Roy, Tarquin, and Elan.

Yeah, that was my guess too; those three are the more likely candidates for dramatic reasons.

Although the whole Order of the Stick ganging on him while enumerating his crimes would have some great appeal.

The possiblitly of Nale being done by the evil side, as mentioned by many posters, is not to discard either. There's no doubt the IFCC could take an "outlived your usefulness" approach, but that would put them at odd with Sabine, and I see them as pragmatists. I'm not saying it won't happen; it could develop this way, and the villains backstabbing each other just before the end is classic.

Klear
2013-08-02, 04:23 AM
I think it's obvious he will be killed by his own hubris.

The Pilgrim
2013-08-02, 04:46 AM
No, the important thing is... from a story viewpoint, WHO should finish off Nale?

Nale, of course.

He is an evil pathetic caricature of Wile E. Coyote, and thus should die as a result of his own overcomplicated schemes.

He has first to betray Sabine, of course. And possibly kill his mother if Elan's plan involved calling her in*.

*I mean, it would be a big loss if this story passes over the chance to confront Nale with his mother, given that his mom is definitely the one that chose Elan over him (or, at least, that's what Nale is going to choose to believe). And, Nale being Nale, there would only be one possible outcome of that meeting, and would be Nale attempting to murder his mom.

Ok, now I'm digressing again. Sorry. :smalltongue:

JosephOrJoe
2013-08-02, 09:07 AM

Perfect. :smallbiggrin: Was my first thought as well.

As for who should kill Nale, he *should* be tried and executed by the CPPD.

Reddish Mage
2013-08-02, 09:53 AM
Clearly the one who should kill him is the guy who bought the in comic cameo on kickstarter :smallyuk:

Fish
2013-08-02, 10:36 AM
Nale won't be killed in this scene. The Giant just demonstrated that the Linears know how to kill a vampire; that establishes a threat against Durkon for the denouement.

What I foresee with Nale is a breakdown of his relationship with Sabine. Their relationship is too good and precious not to break. Nale will learn something about Sabine's instructions (is the IFCC to blame for the destruction of the Gate? are they shielding the good guys from Nale somehow?). There will be a falling out, bitter recriminations, and so on.

Remember this?

Even bigger example. Nale. He never seems to do anything Lawful at all. He doesn't have a code. He doesn't follow traditions of law. He would break any code he had if he got his father's empire and his brother's eternal torment. He'd probably backstab Sabine if he had to.

Interesting, that. Don't you think?

Lots of people read this and said, "OMG Nale isn't Lawful!!1!11" I read it and thought, Nale will betray Sabine.

Anyway, that's where I see it going.

Rakoa
2013-08-02, 10:47 AM
I don't think that the Giant would give away a crucial plot point in a throwaway forum post. A hint at Nale's alignment, yes, but not something like that.

St Fan
2013-08-21, 07:51 AM
Well, okay, #913 settles my question.

Kudo to those who voted Tarquin.