PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Supernatural abilities/Shadow dancer question

justiceforall
2013-08-02, 12:23 AM
Good day sirs/ladies,

Looking at using the Shadow Jump (su) ability from a Shadowdancer (www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/shadowdancer.htm)

I've consulted:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#supernaturalAbilities

So if my understanding is correct, it is a standard action to use Shadow Jump, and because it is a Su ability, I cannot apply the Quick Spell-like Ability feat to it?

If this is correct, is there any other way that does not resort to casting spells (other than the Sun School feat out of CW) that allows a character to attack immediately after using Shadow Jump?

Psyren
2013-08-02, 12:30 AM
So if my understanding is correct, it is a standard action to use Shadow Jump, and because it is a Su ability, I cannot apply the Quick Spell-like Ability feat to it?

You couldn't do that anyway - Quicken SLA is for, well, SLAs, and supernatural abilities are a different category.

If this is correct, is there any other way that does not resort to casting spells (other than the Sun School feat out of CW) that allows a character to attack immediately after using Shadow Jump?

I think Shadow Pounce? I don't actually remember the exact wording of that ability.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-02, 12:43 AM
Shadow Pounce is what you want. That's the 4th-level ability of the Telflammar Shadowlord (Unapproachable East, starting on page 36).

justiceforall
2013-08-02, 12:49 AM
Fast response!

That prestige class is rather difficult to qualify for (difficult but not impossible if I warp the build I guess) - are there any other ways?

I'm guessing there's no way to simply quicken a supernatural ability?

Tokiko Mima
2013-08-02, 03:35 AM
Unfortunately while Tome of Magic does have Empower, Widen, Maximize, etc. for Supernatural abilities, it does not have Quicken Su.

If what you want to do is replicate Shadow Pounce, probably the easiest way to do it would be to abuse the Belt of Battle (MIC, pg. 73) to compress your standard action Su into a swift action. Only works one time a day, per belt, of course.

Beyond that, the Telflammar Shadowlord suggested previously is your best bet. Level 6+ Warlocks can replicate the ability as an SLA with Flee the Scene invocation, which can be quickened with the standard Quicken SLA feat but I don't know if that will work for you.

Darrin
2013-08-02, 05:54 AM
Crinti Shadow Marauder 5 (Shining South) is easier to qualify for, and has Shadow Pounce. If Eberron is more your thing, Blade of Orien (Dragonmarked) has a similar ability.

justiceforall
2013-08-02, 11:47 PM
Just FYI (since it seems like it would help) my base class for the character is fighter.

If what you want to do is replicate Shadow Pounce

I'd settle for a single attack if there was a way to get that instead.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-08-03, 12:07 AM
Speaking of Tome of Magic, Shadowcaster's Flicker mystery is an incredibly powerful ability. Once a round, interrupt action short-range teleport. Including teleporting away from your opponent as he takes a swing at you. In many ways, it's even more powerful than Abrupt Jaunt. You can even take the Improved Mystery feat and hit 7th level Shadowcaster casting to make it a (Su) ability. Furthermore, you can take the same mystery multiple times, so you can take it at 5th, 6th, and 7th caster level of Shadowcaster and have nine times per day usage of it. Pretty much you are teleporting every round you care to.