PDA

View Full Version : Loosing prerequisite.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-02, 01:33 AM
I am wondering, if i have a prestige class with enter "race prerequisite" (for ex. prereq. Half-Elf) and then change my race, with polymorph any object spell (for ex. Shifter (ECS)), am i losing class benefits ? Or i was qualified for entering at that moment and after entering it's irrelevant what race i am.

ryu
2013-08-02, 01:38 AM
I forget whether it was prcs or feats or both which stop working without the prereqs. Pretty sure feats do, but I'm not sure on prcs.

Hobosub
2013-08-02, 02:14 AM
It's explicitly stated for feats, but not for PrC.
Even worse, in the DMG it is only said you need the prerequisite to take the first level. So RAW says you can keep enjoying all your little benefits and continue taking classes.

The rules for level advancement apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the Requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class.

It would make sense to make this count for all other levels as well.
Furthermore, I would rule this the same like one of the core classes losing its prerequisites (lawful barbarian, chaotic monk, etc..), which usually means you lose just about every ability and can't take any more levels in that class until its fixed.

Polymorph Any Object can get a duration of permanent, but we all know how temporary permanent is in D&D. So in this case, you'd be able to get more levels/your abilities back by breaking the spell.

Permanent

The energy remains as long as the effect does. This means the spell is vulnerable to dispel magic.

If you were to die and reincarnate as a different race or got a different instantaneous effect, you could probably say goodbye to your PrC all together.

Instantaneous

The spell energy comes and goes the instant the spell is cast, though the consequences might be long-lasting.

Note that the other way around might also work, but is rather dangerous depending on your DM. Getting intentionally polymorphed into some race to get a PrC is pretty much the same as giving your DM a free pass to one day strip you of all your power.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-02, 02:20 AM
Yes, I also thought that with reincarnation it turned into madness. Thank's for reply.