PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Know Thine Enemy

Wizzardman
2006-12-13, 10:07 PM
[Feat] Know Thine Enemy [general]

By analyzing the target's movement and intentions, you guess where he will next move.

Prerequisites: Wis 13, Dodge

Benefit: As a standard action, the character may choose one opponent and make a Sense Motive check opposed by the character's modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any]). If the check succeeds, the character gains a +2 dodge bonus to defense against all of the target's attacks, and a +4 bonus to any attacks of opportunity he/she makes against the target. These benefits last for rounds equal to your ranks in Sense Motive divided by 2, rounded down.

Special: A character with five or more ranks in bluff can oppose an opponent's Know Thine Enemy check with a bluff check, rather than the standard modified level check. A character with ten or more ranks in bluff can make a bluff check against their opponent's Sense Motive check to end the Know Thine Enemy effects early. A skilled liar knows how to change his own body language when the situation benefits him.

-----
Well, what do you guys think? Does it work, or is it broken?

Ing
2006-12-13, 10:19 PM
ok so a rogue with 15 ranks in sense motive has a bonus that last for 15 rounds. WAY broken. Make it require a new sense motive each round

Wizzardman
2006-12-13, 10:25 PM
ok so a rogue with 15 ranks in sense motive has a bonus that last for 15 rounds. WAY broken. Make it require a new sense motive each round

...The bonus is a +2 to defense and +4 to attacks of opportunity. Why would a rogue with 15 ranks in sense motive care?

Its not like an 18th lvl character really gets much help from +2 AC. And if your combat lasts 15 rounds against one person... then you are probably fighting the Tarrasque, in which case you need it.

Ing
2006-12-13, 10:30 PM
The bonus should equal a number of rounds equal to your wisdom bonus. Similar to how combat reflexes work. Or require a sense motive each turn to keep the benefit.

Wizzardman
2006-12-13, 10:36 PM
The bonus should equal a number of rounds equal to your wisdom bonus. Similar to how combat reflexes work. Or require a sense motive each turn to keep the benefit.

I still disagree. I don't think the benefit is enough for it to really matter how long the bonus lasts. A 5th lvl character would have a maximum of 8 ranks; most fights seem to end around round 4--or at least, most fights where you are directly attacking the target. If you aren't attacking the target this whole time, then a +2 dodge bonus against one character isn't really helping you mcuh.

And requiring a sense motive check every round means, as the feat is now, using a standard action every round to keep the bonus. That would be kind of useless.

Edit: Well, all right. 8 rounds is a long time for a bonus. I'll reduce it to ranks/2, rounding down. That's a maximum of 11 rounds at 20th lvl.

Ing
2006-12-13, 11:15 PM
I still disagree. I don't think the benefit is enough for it to really matter how long the bonus lasts. A 5th lvl character would have a maximum of 8 ranks; most fights seem to end around round 4--or at least, most fights where you are directly attacking the target. If you aren't attacking the target this whole time, then a +2 dodge bonus against one character isn't really helping you mcuh.

And requiring a sense motive check every round means, as the feat is now, using a standard action every round to keep the bonus. That would be kind of useless.

Edit: Well, all right. 8 rounds is a long time for a bonus. I'll reduce it to ranks/2, rounding down. That's a maximum of 11 rounds at 20th lvl.

+2 to AC and +4 to attacks (even if they are AoO) is a HUGE bonus. it's the equivlent of getting a temporary upgrade in armor type without loosing any dex.