PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Echoing spell interpretation help

Negher
2013-08-02, 05:04 AM
Hello,
I have a question/doubt about the interpretation of echoing spell metamagic feat (Ultimate magic).
The description of the feat is:

Echoing Spell (Metamagic)
You have learned how to release most, but not all, of a spell’s potential when you cast it.
Benefit: When you cast an echoing spell, it does not disappear entirely from memory, and you can cast it one additional time during that day. If you prepare spells, this second casting does not require you to prepare it in another spell slot. If you spontaneously cast spells, this second casting does not expend another available spell slot. An echoing spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

The second spell may be casted using metamagic feats? And using another echoing effect?
My application is for a sorcerer with spell perfection (fireball).
I can cast fireball without using higher level spell slot if the total level with metamagic modification is 9 or lower.
So I cast a echoing fireball (TOT level 6 ) using a 3rd level spell slot and I gain the possibility to cast another fireball without using another spell slot.
Next round I cast the second “free” Fireball , but can I use another metamagic feat with this spell? If I cast another echoing spell I can continue to cast fireball every round!!!
I think that there is a mistake in this interpretation but I didn’t found where it is!
The benefit of the feat tells nothing about use of metamagic feat on the second spell.
Thank you

Arc_knight25
2013-08-02, 09:54 AM
Here is how I see it.

Lets say you ready a Empowered Echoing Fireball and cast it. You now have a Empowered Fireball you can cast some other time during that day.

If you wish to try your interpretation I would ask your DM about it.

Cheiromancer
2013-08-02, 01:18 PM
Lets say you ready a Empowered Echoing Fireball and cast it. You now have a Empowered Fireball you can cast some other time during that day.

I agree. You don't gain another spell slot, you are just able to get a little more out of the one you just expended. Thus you get an additional Empowered Fireball. Not another Empowered Echoing Fireball.

navar100
2013-08-02, 08:49 PM
Personally I don't see what use the feat has. If you wanted to cast a spell a second time you'd just prepare it twice and not use a higher level spell slot. A spontaneous caster can cast a spell however often he wants and already can use a higher level spell slot if need be.

grarrrg
2013-08-02, 10:15 PM
Personally I don't see what use the feat has. If you wanted to cast a spell a second time you'd just prepare it twice and not use a higher level spell slot. A spontaneous caster can cast a spell however often he wants and already can use a higher level spell slot if need be.

Because if I prepare/use the spell twice, I use 2 spell slots.
If I prepare an Echoing spell, I use 1 spell slot.
Yes, +3 for the metamagic does not help, but there are a few ways to reduce metamagic costs.

And Echoing spell is an "unlimited" version of the Split Slot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/arcane-discoveries/split-slot) feat available to Wizards (technically a "discovery" but they are taken as feats).

Heck, combine Echoing spell with Spell Perfection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-perfection). Free double castings of your Perfected spells!