PDA

View Full Version : Why does a Wizard need a spellbook? Why can't a Wizard remember spells?

willardthor
2013-08-02, 06:05 AM
Hi,

A Wizard can memorize Read Magic from memory. Why can't the Wizard remember arbitrary spells from memory?

I am looking for an explanation from your intuition/flavor, D&D magic lore, D&D rules, or from Vance's books; what makes remembering spells so difficult that you need a feat (Spell Mastery) or a separate class feature (Eidetic Spellcasting) to do it?

The only analogy that makes sense to me comes from Computer Science; Read Magic lets a Wizard's mind function like a computer / an operating system / a runtime environment / an abstract machine, and spells are like programs running on it; while a skilled programmer would have a basic understanding of the behavior of a program running on a machine, he would not easily be able to reproduce them exactly from nothing; he would understand the program fully while he reads its source, and would be able to transfer the program from paper to the machine to be executed, but, for large complex programs, no matter how often he does this, he would not remember the full program source.

There are two things I don't like about this analogy.

Wizards are computers.
Humans in the real world know tricks to memorize arbitrary text, super-intelligent people in particular (Autohypnosis skill?). A Wizard has often supernatural intelligence; he should easily be able to do the same, effortlessly. What is special about spell-text that makes this hard?

Cheers,
Willard.

faircoin
2013-08-02, 06:18 AM
I always imagined the arcane writing contained in spellbooks to be related to human understanding the same way natural language is related to first-order logic structures.

That is, reading arcane writing is an AI-complete, practically-inaccessible problem, and read magic can perform the operations necessary to parse the writing into human understanding; just as we (don't, but potentially could) have programs that operate on natural language and parse it into first-order syntactic structures.

Fortunately, a sufficiently high spellcraft will function in a very similar manner. Since spellcraft is a skill, and not a spell, perhaps that alleviates some of your concerns? Some wizards are so skilled they don't need to run the computer read magic.

Krazzman
2013-08-02, 06:21 AM
In complete Mage a "Wizard" explains what the process behind preparing spells is. Read magic is a fairly simple spell and as such easy to remember. It still took 2d6 Years of study to get to the point where he can remember it but else he needs the book or incense (for the eidetic guy) to ensure he is not doing anything wrong. He prepares triggers in his mind that are erased onse used.

Hope this helps.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-02, 06:49 AM
Blame Jack Vance.

Pilo
2013-08-02, 06:59 AM
There is a feat for that: Spell Mastery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellMasterySpecial)

danzibr
2013-08-02, 07:04 AM
There is a feat for that: Spell Mastery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellMasterySpecial)
This was mentioned in the OP.

Alleran
2013-08-02, 07:05 AM
Eidetic Spellcaster (Dragon #357, IIRC) solves this problem. That said, I usually take it that it isn't just remembering the spell, it's "locking the power" inside your head to be released when you cast it. Which is why you can only "know" (memorise) so many at once.

Namfuak
2013-08-02, 07:15 AM
Hi,

A Wizard can memorize Read Magic from memory. Why can't the Wizard remember arbitrary spells from memory?

I am looking for an explanation from your intuition/flavor, D&D magic lore, D&D rules, or from Vance's books; what makes remembering spells so difficult that you need a feat (Spell Mastery) or a separate class feature (Eidetic Spellcasting) to do it?

The only analogy that makes sense to me comes from Computer Science; Read Magic lets a Wizard's mind function like a computer / an operating system / a runtime environment / an abstract machine, and spells are like programs running on it; while a skilled programmer would have a basic understanding of the behavior of a program running on a machine, he would not easily be able to reproduce them exactly from nothing; he would understand the program fully while he reads its source, and would be able to transfer the program from paper to the machine to be executed, but, for large complex programs, no matter how often he does this, he would not remember the full program source.

There are two things I don't like about this analogy.

Wizards are computers.
Humans in the real world know tricks to memorize arbitrary text, super-intelligent people in particular (Autohypnosis skill?). A Wizard has often supernatural intelligence; he should easily be able to do the same, effortlessly. What is special about spell-text that makes this hard?

Cheers,
Willard.

A wizard's familiar distracts him too much to memorize more than Read Magic. Thus eidetic spellcaster.

Telonius
2013-08-02, 07:21 AM
Other possible fluff explanation: Arcane Magic is "meant" to be used by Sorcerers, dragons, and other naturally-magic things. When you rip magic away from its natural setting, it's like trying to access a file with a program other than the one that made it. Yeah, a Wizard's non-magic (though extremely powerful) brain can hold a spell, but it's really not designed to do it.

Joe the Rat
2013-08-02, 08:06 AM
A common explanation to most versions is that the spells are just that complex. Your training as a Wizard has taught you to prepare your mind, and you've mastered the fundamentals of magic - you understand the 808 elements and principles that make up the majority of arcane composition. You can build simple spells with but a flick of thought, and a few others through sheer rote memorization - but without the focus, it's hard to get all the pieces right.

Here's a more concrete example. LEGOs. Lots of pieces you can put together in different ways. Some designs are ridiculously simple - Town set cars, basic towers - things you can build from memory or mental image fairly easily. These are your cantrips. The larger sets can be trickier, but if you build one enough, you can probably do it without having to refer to the instructions. So you've mastered the Wizard's Tree. So now let's build Hogwarts. Or a 2-meter long Star Destroyer with working docking bay and wired interior lights. Going from just a picture - much less from pure memory - is not easy. The Eidetic needs mental focus (and scent-based memory cues - that's actually a thing). The Wizard needs to at least look at the picture on the cover to put it together. Every spell is a 40-step+ assembly process.

So why can't they hold this in memory? With practice, they do. It gets easier and easier to put these things together with use, and training (Feat investure) and power and experience (level). It takes you one hour to prep your spells for the day - Your 3 or 4 (plus cantrips) at 1st level, or your 30+ at 20th. You're getting better at assembly, and probably remember large chunks of steps - especially those common to multiple models.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-02, 08:10 AM
Eidetic Spellcaster (Dragon #357, IIRC) solves this problem. That said, I usually take it that it isn't just remembering the spell, it's "locking the power" inside your head to be released when you cast it. Which is why you can only "know" (memorise) so many at once.

Also mentioned in the OP.

I've got to say, I like Telonius's explanation.

phlidwsn
2013-08-02, 08:27 AM
I like Zelazny's explanation used in the later Amber books as an analogy.

A spell is a complex, intricate structure that is 'hung' in your thoughts 99% complete, needing only the final verbal and somatic components to trigger. Your prep time in the morning is working off the blueprints for the spells in your spellbook in order to assemble the first 99% of the spells into your available mental spell slots.

For a Wizard, the spells are so complex and intricate you need the spellbook as reference to end up with the correct pattern hung. For a Sorc, you have a small number of patterns you just intuitively know, but are limited by the amount of energy you can channel into them per day.

Psyren
2013-08-02, 08:30 AM
Sorcerers basically fool the universe into thinking they put in the same amount of prep that the wizards did. But because they don't really understand what they're doing, they have fewer spells they can make work this way. (A sorcerer would tell you however that it's the other way around - they're the ones who really understand magic, and don't need their masters in algebra to make it function.)

"How does your magic work?"
"It just does, okay?"

Segev
2013-08-02, 08:32 AM
The canonical - and I believe ripped from Vance's novels - explanation is that "preparing" or "memorizing" a spell actually imprints arcane energies into your mind, creating potential energy. It's specifically shaped and primed, ready for release. Whether it is represented by knowledge or by energy to you, however, the act of casting it releases that potential, draining you of the ability to do it again.

In my own setting, my explanation was a little different. Magic (but not psionics) works in that world by getting animistic spirits to do your bidding. Command the fire spirits to burst into activity for the iconic "fireball," or bargain with the gravity-gods for their ignorance for a little while to Fly.

Wizards are, effectively, lawyers and magistrates, masters of arcane history and legalism. Their spellbooks contain highly complex contractual agreements forged in times long past with powerful master-spirits of the unseen world. These contracts spell out in excruciating detail the things these spirits must do (or allow you to command of their servants be done in their name), provided the command is made in the proper way by one with proper authority.

"Preparing your spells" is a process of enacting the complex ritualistic behaviors that authorize you to give those commands and invoke those contracts. Some of them even do perform, in some esoteric fashion, a genuine service for the power in question, while others simply were once identifying traits of those who forged the agreements. Expensive material components and experience point costs are promises made if the bargain is called due, but which are not paid up front.

When a Wizard casts a spell, he invokes his authority according to contract, and commands in the name of the one whom with the contract was forged that his will be done in the specific way the contract allowed. He can't cast it a second time (unless he prepared it more than once) not because he doesn't remember the exact gestures and words, but because he's already expended the authority granted him by the rituals performed when he prepared his spells.

This is also why, no matter how perfectly that Rogue with Perform(mimicry) copies the wizard's actions, he doesn't get a magical effect. He lacks the authority. While Eric Holder (Attorney General of the United States) could, after preparing his "warrant" spell, order the FBI to arrest somebody, it wouldn't matter how perfectly Jesse Jackson (civil rights activist) mimicked Holder's posture, tone, words, and gestures, the FBI would not listen to him because he lacks the authority. Even Holder, after ordering the arrest, couldn't go and order another one, even using the exact same words. He hasn't prepared a second "warrant."

Notably, Spell Mastery represents a very specific feat: the Wizard has thoroughly memorized every detail of the contracts and can perform them without a reference document. This is equivalent to a lawyer drawing up a legal argument for a highly-contested and heavily-nuanced case without cracking open any of the case-law he's referencing because he knows it well enough not to need to.

It's like building a D&D character at 20th level without cracking a book and not making a single mistake.

Clerics and Druids operate similarly, but they simply pray to their patrons (or commune with Nature itself) for the authority they request. Because they have a more direct conduit and represent actual favored servants of bigger bosses than mere spirits, the beings that are beholden to or in awe of those divine Powers grant the servant his wishes. This is also why their casting is easier, and can be done in armor: they have delegated authority, rather than a need to rigidly adhere to specific forms to have the force of contractual law to grant them authority. (Notably, the "spirits" that arcane casters work with are not gods, and operate according to precise rules. Even the chaotic ones. But they also are sticklers who will gleefully ignore or follow the letter of commands given even when they know the intent is different, which is why arcane casting is so precise. Divine casting is "easier," but requires favor so the authority is delegated. A divine caster is a servant speaking in the name of his master; an arcane caster is speaking on his own authority, bargained for or TAKEN from the master(s) of the spirits he commands.)

Spontaneous casters have a slightly different issue. Sorcerers are those strange kids who always had a connection to that unseen world. They form bargains with the "low level" spirits directly, just out of sheer friendship, and they sometimes make their own pacts with the higher up beings somewhat unwittingly. They then have authority because they hold the friendship of, or the cleverly worded contract over, the specific things for which they ask. Even so, they must be precise in invocation; command of spirits by contract - even willingly or friendly-granted - is tricky, and they can become confused or even mischievous if they see a loophole.

Bards have it a little easier; they actually charm the agreements out of the world to learn their spells. Things do willingly obey them, though only to the limits of their pleasure in the Bard's skills. Thus, Bards can wear light armor.

Spontaneous casters have limits to their spells/day because their friends and allies and servants have limits to their patience and availability.

jedipilot24
2013-08-02, 08:38 AM
In Dragonlance Dragons of Autumn Twilight (the book of course), it's explained why Raistlin is constantly studying his spellbooks:

It is the curse of the magi that they must constantly study and recommit their spells to memory every day. The words of magic flame in the mind, then flicker and die when the spell is cast. Each spell burns up some of the magician's physical and mental energy until he is totally exhausted and must rest before he can use his magic again.

Sorcerer's (and presumably spellcasting Bards) don't even exist in Dragonlance until after the Chaos War and they use a slightly different form of magic than Wizards. Not being too familiar with the 5th Age, I would hesitate at trying to describe the difference but there is one and the two interacting is something like oil and water.

SethoMarkus
2013-08-02, 08:43 AM
I don't have any books with me right now so I can't check, but I believe in the 3.5 Players Handbook it mentions that when the Wizard prepares spells (in the morning) he/she is actually casting the majority of the spell as he/she prepares it, leaving only the last gesture and trigger phrase incomplete.

Using this as a base concept, then it is not that the wizard cannot remember the spell triggers from memory, but that he/she cannot accurately remember the entirety of the ritual that needs to be performed to cast and "prepare" the spell in the morning. Given that it generally isn't difficult to maintain and carry a spellbook, many wizards do not bother with memorizing these rituals and instead focus on memorizing arcane lore. However, there are some wizards out there that happen to have eidetic memories (Eidetic Spellcaster) or choose to take the time to memorize the rituals (Spell Mastery), but it is not common.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-08-02, 08:53 AM
Writing has served as external memory since its invention. There are more books in print today than a human could read in their entire life.

Bards are from the oral tradition, and thus their magic is spontaneous.

Sorcerers are natural talents, and likely their subconscious is doing the work.

Wizards are scholars, with several pursuits other than just magic (hence, all the Knowledge skills).

In sum, it's part of rpg game balance. The Wizard is one of the three original classes (Fighting Man, and Cleric were the others). The spellbook has been part of the Wizard class since its inception. So tradition is part of it as well.

I find all the computer analogies... hilarious... since neuroscience really does not work that way for the human mind. It's more of an indication of technology's influence on the person positing the metaphor. I understand it is a seductive idea... but seriously, Mumford warned about this sort of thing in the 1930s (Technics & Civilization); our minds are analog, computers are digital (binary). Like oil and water.

Psyren
2013-08-02, 08:55 AM
To be clear guys, he's not asking why the wizard needs to prepare spells each morning. The "precasting" explanation covers that adequately.

The question is, why do they need their spellbook every morning to assist with that preparation? For at least one or two favorite spells, it should be possible to memorize the steps needed to precast them. The game's current answer to that is the Spell Mastery feat. but it isn't very satisfying since it's related to your feat progression rather than how often you actually prepare spell X.

Segev
2013-08-02, 08:58 AM
The question is, why do they need their spellbook every morning to assist with that preparation? For at least one or two favorite spells, it should be possible to memorize the steps needed to precast them. The game's current answer to that is the Spell Mastery feat. but it isn't very satisfying since it's related to your feat progression rather than how often you actually prepare spell X.

Spells are so very, very complex that it takes the level of dedication of a Feat to memorize their entirety to that level. Doesn't matter how often you cast it; if you don't take sufficient time to truly master its every detail (as represented by taking a Feat), you don't remember it well enough to prepare it without a reference.

SethoMarkus
2013-08-02, 09:37 AM
To be clear guys, he's not asking why the wizard needs to prepare spells each morning. The "precasting" explanation covers that adequately.

I had brought up the "precasting" as grounds that the spell, as it functions in combat or other times of day, is only a very, very small portion of the actual "spell" ritual needed to cast the spell. The assumption, then, is that spells are so vastly complicated and complex that it is impossible to memorize the entirety of one without very special attention and intention to do so. That attention and intention is represented in-game through feats such as Spell Mastery.

You might remember quotes, bits and pieces from a movie, but you cannot reproduce a 100% accurate script from memory alone without significant extra effort at memorization. A wizard probably can remember the majority of a spell that he/she casts frequently, but he/she cannot afford to make even the slightest error; in that case, the spellbook acts as a safety measure and precaution.

Psyren
2013-08-02, 09:44 AM
I understand, I'm just saying it's not as satisfying for reasons of verisimilitude. You can Spell Mastery a spell you've never prepared before, for instance. It's one of those abstractions that helps the game run more smoothly, like being able to multiclass wizard without years of training. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html)

JusticeZero
2013-08-02, 09:46 AM
Classically (2e), and in Vance specifically, a *castable* form of a spell is conserved - when you memorize it, it's this wriggly memory with a life of its own to it, and when you cast it, the memory is transformed into the spell effect. You then remember casting the spell, but the volatile component that let you actually CAST the spell is downrange lighting your foes on fire, and not in your head anymore.

ericp65
2013-08-02, 09:49 AM
Magic is an immensely powerful form of energy. As stated in this thread, when a Wizard goes through the precasting/memorization process, this energy is tapped and harnessed into the mind. It's an overwhelming amount of energy to be holding in one's head, and it's all the caster's self can handle to keep it in reserve and ready, needing only the final trigger to release. Upon release, nothing sufficiently specific is retained in the mind to repeat this process, so the Wizard then needs to again go through the harnessing process. The experience takes a lot out of the caster, as also stated previously.

This representation of arcane spellcasting, at least in the Wizard's case, is but one of many different ways to represent the use of magic. If, like me, you object to the theory/approach, you can choose another rules subset for arcane magic in your games.

killem2
2013-08-02, 01:33 PM
Sorcerers basically fool the universe into thinking they put in the same amount of prep that the wizards did. But because they don't really understand what they're doing, they have fewer spells they can make work this way. (A sorcerer would tell you however that it's the other way around - they're the ones who really understand magic, and don't need their masters in algebra to make it function.)

"How does your magic work?"
"It just does, okay?"

Terra vs Celes :smallbiggrin:

gooddragon1
2013-08-02, 01:42 PM
I can remember a few spells from magicka

qfqfasa (lightning storm)
qfasa (lightning bolt)
qfssas (i put the a before all the s but... anyways not a spell but a good area of effect)
the one for black hole
the one for teleport
asf (haste)
negate
and some others

But I can't remember the one for fire wave, blizzard, rain, grease, etc. off the top of my head. Imagine having hundreds of spells. You've cast some of them occasionally and others more often but they're not nearly as simple as a few keystrokes. Just knowing a few by memory is a feat (hehe). Knowing all of them takes a special kind of memory (hoho).

And then there is the beholder mage.

JusticeZero
2013-08-02, 02:24 PM
Memorizing things, if you know how, is actually doable. BUT, it is memorizing data. A lightning bolt isn't just data. There is something to it that is a lot more than just knowing how to wave your arms around. The actual volatile component is more than a rote ritual. For a Sorcerer, they have volatile component on tap, but there is still only so many times they can fire off a spell before their brain just goes "no way, if you fire off another one of those fireballs, it's taking the memory of how to breathe with it. I'm not doing it."

Spuddles
2013-08-02, 02:25 PM

Well if you don't cast the spell, you have it in your memory indefinitely.

It's not that wizards can't rememer their spells- high level wizards memorize upwards of 30 to 40 spells a day and can remember them for all time, even through death. At least, until they cast them. The wizard is free to do whatever he likes about the spells in his head- make magical weapons, scribe scrolls, or write the spell down in spellbooks. The latter part he can do as many times as he likes.

Why can't you cast a spell from a scroll multiple times? A wizard needs his spell book to prepare a spell because the act of casting literally removes the knowledge of that spell from his brain. He can't remember the spell because the act of casting is something like choosing to forget the spell.

It's only with a great deal of effort or training that a wizard can keep the fundamental knowledge of the spell in his head after casting.

Big Fau
2013-08-02, 02:32 PM
Blame Jack Vance.

This actually. Gygax based magic mostly on Vance's books, and did it in a way that wasn't going to get them sued for copyright infringement. According to the source, spells are alive. The spell's effect is stored into the spellbook. When a spellcaster prepares spells he isn't memorizing text, he's absorbing part of a living entity into his mind. When the spell is cast that part leaves his mind and reunites with the rest of the spell stored in the spellbook.

Divine casters work similarly, but the spell is a part of their deity's divine essence instead of ink on a page.

Edit: Scrolls lose their spells because you release the spell entirely, instead of only taking a portion of it to use later.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-02, 02:33 PM
Terra vs Celes :smallbiggrin:

Not really.

Yes, Terra was born with it, but Celes had the power infused into her at a very young age. She didn't get it by studying. They both use magic in the exact same way.

Tvtyrant
2013-08-02, 02:39 PM
How I fluff it is that a Wizard does not have any natural talent with magic. Their spellbook pages are written in 4 point font and are coated in tiny margin notes and drawings, to the point where it takes intensive study to remember the notes in their entirety (eidetic or spell mastery.) A wizard spell is a massive ritual that involves runes, recitations and exact positions of the sun and clouds to get correctly.

The wizard spends the morning precasting spells directly from the book, occasionally taking notes on different phenomenon based on positioning and mind set. Once every spell has been cast the Wizard has all of its spells prepped, but the rituals are so incredibly complicated that no Wizard anywhere can just naturally keep it in their head.

A Sorcerer doesn't precast anything. They simply run on instinct, which is why metamagic alters the time it takes to cast a spell. They have to actually think about what they are doing in order to cast it, which screws with the process. A talented Wizard might know how the constellations alter the casting of a fireball spell through research and shared notes, a Sorcerer has no idea they just instinctively respond to their environment.

killem2
2013-08-02, 03:01 PM
Not really.

Yes, Terra was born with it, but Celes had the power infused into her at a very young age. She didn't get it by studying. They both use magic in the exact same way.

Fine Fuddy Duddy.

Strago vs someone else lol.

Barstro
2013-08-02, 03:16 PM
For the same reason that the best chefs in the world still use cookbooks.

A wizard has access to hundreds of spells. This can lead to confusion. When playing with explosive arcane energies, you don't want to do things wrong. Too much salt can ruin a souffle. Too much guano or a mispronunciation can ruin a planet.

Frankly, it's a bit of a gift that they are even allowed to memorize spells instead of needing to read it from the book each time they use it.

Besides, we have wizards that do not use spell books. They have a more manageable number of spells, and we call them sorcerers (in the restaurant business, we call them short-order-cooks).

georgie_leech
2013-08-02, 03:16 PM
I always figured that casting the spell wiped some critical details from a Wizard's memory. It doesn't matter how often you practise if it is literally impossible to retain all the knowledge.

ericgrau
2013-08-02, 03:30 PM
In 2e the act of casting a spell wiped it from your mind. Just like casting it from a scroll wiped it from a scroll. The only reason it stays in a spellbook after you prepare it is because a couple symbols are missing at the end which a wizard knows how to fill in, or something like that. IIRC in 2e you could prepare a spell from a scroll just like a spellbook and it would wipe the scroll.