PDA

View Full Version : Non-magical electric damage

Leshy
2013-08-02, 07:07 AM
Ok, let's say there is mechanical trap on the floor (checkered pattern), that hits you with electric damage if you stand on the wrong square. Does it mean, since it is mechanical trap, that normal rules of physics apply, eg. that electricity can't hit you if you are standing on it with only one foot, as electric circuit is not closed?

Mastikator
2013-08-02, 07:11 AM
You mean that the checkered floor plate is charged? Unless you jump on it you'll form a closed circuit with the rest of the floor when you step on it, one leg being on the charged plate and one being on the rest of the floor. It's probably less fatal since it doesn't go through your heart.

TriForce
2013-08-02, 12:36 PM
change it into several segments of plate, seperated by rubber sheets, meaning that someone standing on 2 different parts of the plate will make a closed circuit right through his legs

jindra34
2013-08-02, 01:04 PM
Um... maybe. First and for most, being non-magical means it adheres to the laws of physics of the universe that it is in, not ours, which may make a big or little difference. And secondly there are ways to create a vertical discharge trap (e.g. your providing enough of a link to get it to discharge into the ceiling) that would be triggered by weight, so even if physics is a close fit, without knowing exactly how the trap works, you can't say standing on one foot (or anything else for that matter) will or will not protect you.

Gavran
2013-08-02, 07:33 PM
^ This. I might be inclined to let it work once, if it wasn't that important - say if it was a generic dungeon trap (rather than part of a puzzle) and they identified it first via perception/dungeoneering or system equivalent. My decision would also be influenced by the setting and the character's knowledge skills/attributes.

erikun
2013-08-02, 10:36 PM
I tend to cringe a bit when suggestions like this are made, because I do wonder a bit how much knowledge of electricity is being applied correctly. I know just enough to realize that electricity is not spontaneously stopped by a rubber-soled shoe, nor is a person immune to it simply because they are hopping on one foot.

Note that, if standing on one foot on an electrical plate is not causing injury, then standing on two feet on the same plate probably will not either. There is enough surface area on the human foot to likely create a circuit if one could be made. This also doesn't consider electricity arcing, which it can certainly do.

Gavran
2013-08-02, 11:16 PM
I tend to cringe a bit when suggestions like this are made, because I do wonder a bit how much knowledge of electricity is being applied correctly. I know just enough to realize that electricity is not spontaneously stopped by a rubber-soled shoe, nor is a person immune to it simply because they are hopping on one foot.

Note that, if standing on one foot on an electrical plate is not causing injury, then standing on two feet on the same plate probably will not either. There is enough surface area on the human foot to likely create a circuit if one could be made. This also doesn't consider electricity arcing, which it can certainly do.

Indeed, the standing on one foot thing is more related to discharge gradients from downed power lines.