PDA

View Full Version : Bribes, Illusions, Magic and Death

GutterFace
2013-08-02, 07:27 AM
So i had a thematic idea for a new character. Charisma/Int based...spells, and a lot mercantile stuff.

basically is it possible for you to use Forgery to make small metal discs (coins), and cast an illusion spell on them to make it look like silver,gold, pp, etc...?

also would any of you as a DM let me bribe my way out of combat and social situations with said illusion money. would most enemies save undead, constructs, and oozes and animals accept the bribe?

is it possible to scribe some sort of exploding glyph on the metal disc's before you use an illusions to fool people?

ie; sack of fake exploding money > looks like gold > bribe > POW?

geonova
2013-08-02, 07:32 AM
i would let you attempt to bribe people, but they would have to make a search check with DC 10+your caster level, although, if you put exploding runes underneath the illusion, perceiving the illusion would activate the runes

GutterFace
2013-08-02, 08:01 AM
that was sort of what i was going for

hand the sack of gold over and watch the explosion of shrapnel.

:)

Deophaun
2013-08-02, 08:11 AM
basically is it possible for you to use Forgery to make small metal discs (coins), and cast an illusion spell on them to make it look like silver,gold, pp, etc...?
The illusion would have to be part of the glamer subschool (which means spells based off silent image won't work), as only glamers can change something's appearance.

Do note that counterfeiting was historically punishable by death, and illusions are not hard to uncover if they're suspected.

also would any of you as a DM let me bribe my way out of combat and social situations with said illusion money. would most enemies save undead, constructs, and oozes and animals accept the bribe?
Greatly depends. Some low-level bandits collecting "tolls" along the road would likely fall for it. However, most campaign-relevant encounters wouldn't be so easily warded off, as those would be driven by things other than money.

is it possible to scribe some sort of exploding glyph on the metal disc's before you use an illusions to fool people?
That would be explosive runes.

Psyren
2013-08-02, 08:14 AM

Counterfeit currency is common even without magic to try and disguise it so your chances of fooling any full-time merchant are pretty slim. For instance, both the low-magic worlds of Game of Thrones and the high-magic world of Wheel of Time involve suspicious merchants who bite every coin that the characters hand over. For most illusions they would auto-disbelieve since illusions don't tend to have tactile components.

In addition to the problems above, you've also got other monster types that don't care about money (aberrations, magical beasts) or the ones that are very good at identifying fakes (dragons.) Giants and Monstrous Humanoids could go either way depending on intelligence level but as a rule of thumb, anything truly dangerous isn't going to be fooled.

You can put explosive runes or some kind of glyph on it, sure. When it blows up might be a problem - the illusions would cover up the rune making it hard too read, but you could do a "when they come within 0 ft. of it" type of trigger. However, you might be too close to it when it goes off at that time.

GutterFace
2013-08-02, 09:41 AM
hmmm all good points. i suppose ill have to save this idea for a completly urban campaign where i can guess the limit of outside creatures that dont care about cash

ok so a completely unrelated question:

the Create Trap spell (RotD), level 1 spell creates a cr1 trap. is there a higher level version on this? or a way (avoiding trapsmith/combat trapsmith) to make the CR trap you create higher?

nedz
2013-08-02, 11:29 AM
This is all part of a days work for a Beguiler, well except for the Death bit — you have to work hard to actually do damage, though it is possible.

Int based spontaneous casting from a fixed list of {Enchantments, Illusions, Utility}, 6+ Skill points per level with all the right skills available.

You do lose some flexibility in that some spells are not available, but they're probably not ones you wanted anyway.