PDA

View Full Version : Top Five Unplayed Games

Totally Guy
2013-08-02, 08:22 AM
What are your top 5 games you've not yet managed to play?

On my list are:
1) Dogs in the Vineyard
2) Spirit of the Century
3) Lamentations of the Flame Princess / Basic D&D
4) Poison'd
5) Lady Blackbird

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-02, 08:28 AM
Just rough guessing here...

1) Dogs in the Vineyard
2) Monster of the Week
3) Smallville
4) The One Ring
5) Hollowpoint

That's sorta as they come to me. Maybe adjusting here and there, but I think this is my personal Top 5.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-02, 09:09 AM
Let's see...

1) World of Darkness and associated splats
2) Shadowrun
3) Maid
4) Deadlands/Savage Worlds
5) Dread (that Jenga RPG)

Honorable Mention: Fate Core/Accelerated Edition (okay I ran one session but whatever), Little Fears, Scion, Call of Cthulhu, GURPS.

...okay, so ten unplayed games.

BWR
2013-08-02, 09:51 AM
1. Nobilis
2. Tribe 8
3. Spelljammer
4. Dark Sun
5. Engel

Mordar
2013-08-02, 12:46 PM
In Nomine
Usagi Yojimbo
Brave New World
Changeling (Old WoD)

Can't think of a legitimate 5th at the moment...tons of games I have played that I want to play more...

- M

PS: Maybe Deathwatch?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-02, 02:49 PM
In no particular order...

Deadlands
Star Wars Saga Edition
Microscope
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
True20

Marius
2013-08-02, 06:31 PM
Eclipse phase (bought the book and I still couldn't play it :( )
Scion
Dresden files
Apocalypse world
Anima: beyond fantasy

AuraTwilight
2013-08-02, 06:32 PM
1. Exalted 3rd Edition
2. Golden Sky Stories
3. Chunbo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine
4. Mummy: The Curse
5. Slime Story

Eldan
2013-08-02, 06:39 PM
Okay. These are all games I've read, liked hte ideas of, but never got to play:

Exalted
Changeling (either, sadly)
Eclipse Phase
Gamma World (the new one based on D&D 4E)
Dark Heresy (frustrating: we had a game. The GM met each of us individually to make characters. Then the game collapsed before the first session.)

Monss Meg
2013-08-02, 08:00 PM
These are all games i have read the rules for. But have never played.

1) Airship Pairits
2) Changling: the Dreaming
3) Werewolf: the Apocalypse
4) Aris Magica
5) Deadlands

Lanaya
2013-08-02, 08:36 PM
1. Dark Heresy
2. Black Crusade
3. Only War
4. Deathwatch
5. Rogue Trader

I really like Warhammer 40K.

kidnicky
2013-08-02, 09:26 PM
1.Mecha
2.Giant Guardian Generation
(after discussing these 2 in a recent thread)
3. Marvel Heroic
4.Cyberpunk (the art looks SO awesome,but I have no idea how a game would actually play out)
5. Newest Star Wars (the one with the weird dice)

Arkhosia
2013-08-02, 09:29 PM
1. Dnd 2e
2. Paranoia
3. Warhammer40k
4. D&d 3.5
5. Dark heresy

I play d&d 4e.

erikun
2013-08-02, 09:48 PM
1.) HeroQuest
2.) Fate Core
3.) Burning Wheel, and related system
4.) RuneQuest
5.) World of Darkness, and related systems

Sadly, I don't really have time to be starting a new game or getting involved in one at the moment. I'm actually beinging a new game myself, but that group wants mostly wants to play D&D3e. I guess we'll see.

Kikon9
2013-08-02, 11:11 PM
1.) Tales from the Wood
2.) Genius, the Transgression
3.) EclipsePhase
4.) Fiasco
5.) Earthdawn d20

Me and my group normally play D&d 4e or Gurps.

Alabenson
2013-08-02, 11:48 PM
1) Paranoia
2) Exalted
3) Toon
4) Marvel Super Heroes
5) GURPS

kidnicky
2013-08-03, 12:03 AM
1.) HeroQuest
2.) Fate Core
3.) Burning Wheel, and related system
4.) RuneQuest
5.) World of Darkness, and related systems

Sadly, I don't really have time to be starting a new game or getting involved in one at the moment. I'm actually beinging a new game myself, but that group wants mostly wants to play D&D3e. I guess we'll see.

HeroQuest was a good game when I was say 13-14,as an introduction. But ifyou've already been playing D&D HQ is just a watered down version. Don't bother.

IronFist
2013-08-03, 12:17 AM
1. Exalted
2. Bliss Stage
3. Fight!
4. Marvel Roleplaying
5. Dark Heresy

erikun
2013-08-03, 12:45 AM
HeroQuest was a good game when I was say 13-14,as an introduction. But ifyou've already been playing D&D HQ is just a watered down version. Don't bother.
I've read through the 2nd edition of the game, and become enamored by the whole design of the system. The ease that you can put together a character, how quickly you can resolve a conflict, how simple it is to grant bonuses and penalties (both temporary and long-lasting), and several other things that I just like how the system handles it.

I've located a 1st edition copy as well for quite cheap, and so am seeing how the older edition handled more fiddly bits (such as equipment). Also, I'm rather tired of D&D and all its endless minutiae and questionable design getting in the way of having the characters interact with things that don't involve sticks of metal. I appreciate the advice, but I'd really like to give the system a good playthrough or two before I reach a decision on it.

ZenoForce88
2013-08-03, 01:36 AM
Well...let me see...

1.)Mekton Zeta(System confuses the heck out of me)
2.)Shadowrun
3.)Men in Black(West End Games)
4.)GURPS(Same Reason as Mekton)
5.)Rift(Got a bunch of books for like $5 at a garage sell, haven't even opened them yet)

Ok, kinda sort already did Shadowrun, but none of my group actualy understand more then maybe 34% of it, so the games tended to end before getting through half of the first sessions.

VariSami
2013-08-03, 02:29 AM
1. Anima
2. Shadowrun
3. Shadow Nations (I own it and I have GM'd it but I also want to be able to play it.)
4. Demon: the Fallen
5. Tähti (It's a Finnish almost freeform game about a Maoist Mutant Punk Girl Band in the bleak future of Finland. Got it for free but haven't managed to play it yet.)

Rattslinger
2013-08-03, 02:44 AM
Some of these may be campaign settings but, I still think they're underplayed.

1. Eberron
2. Dark Sun
3. Mage the Ascension
4. Rifts/Palladium in General
5. Legend of the Five Rings

IronFist
2013-08-03, 02:56 AM
Forgot to add Tenra Bansho Zero, Shonen Burst and Last Stand.

Zazax
2013-08-03, 01:27 PM
Hmm, let's see...

1) Adeptus Evangelion (or Dark Heresy in general)
2) Exalted
3) Mutants & Masterminds
4) Shadowrun
5) Spelljammer

The Rose Dragon
2013-08-03, 01:42 PM
My list is rather massive, but let's give it a shot. The list is in no particular order.

- Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition (already played 2nd Edition).
- Changeling: the Lost.
- Anima Prime.
- Nine Worlds.
- A toss-up between Qin: the Warring States, Weapons of the Gods and Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition (guess what those games have in common).

Honorary mention goes to Fight! and Tenra Bansho Zero, which I haven't even bought or read but still want to play.

IronFist
2013-08-03, 09:24 PM
The Rose Dragon, we could set up an online Anima Prime game. It's such a simple and elegant system, after all.

kidnicky
2013-08-04, 01:16 AM
I forgot about Fight! And never knew about Shonen Burst. I might need a top 7.

nyarlathotep
2013-08-04, 03:46 AM

I think he means this heroquest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroQuest_%28role-playing_game%29) set in Glorantha, not this heroquest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroQuest) set in the warhammer fantasy universe. This being based on the fact that Runequest is also mentioned.

Aolbain
2013-08-04, 04:06 AM
1. New world of darkness. Mage or hunter.
2. Dark heresy.
3. Warhammer Fantasy Role Playing Game.
4. Dresden Files RPG.
5. Nobilis

Feddlefew
2013-08-04, 04:14 AM
1. Don't Rest Your Head
2. Trail of Cthulhu
3. Deadlands
4. Changling: The Lost
5. Spelljamer

Asmodai
2013-08-04, 05:28 AM
1. Shadowrun
2. Monsters and other childish Things
3. Godlike
4. Grimm
5. Nobilis

erikun
2013-08-04, 04:47 PM
I think he means this heroquest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroQuest_%28role-playing_game%29) set in Glorantha, not this heroquest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroQuest) set in the warhammer fantasy universe. This being based on the fact that Runequest is also mentioned.
Yes, I am most certainly talking about HeroQuest the RPG, not HeroQuest the board game. I actually keep forgetting about the latter, despite the fact that I've played it myself, and also keep forgetting that a casual Google search only brings up the board game. :smallannoyed:

Thank you for the clarification! And I actually did not know that the HeroQuest board game was based on Warhammer, either. Something new learned, it seems. :smallwink:

Kaun
2013-08-04, 05:55 PM
1. Paranoia
2. Earthdawn
3. Changeling
4. Battle Tech (or any mech game)
5. Anything super hero's (run plenty of super hero games, never been a player)

genderlich
2013-08-04, 08:18 PM
1. Exalted
2. Mutants & Masterminds
3. Shadowrun
4. Mage: The Awakening
5. Normality (http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/normality), just to see my group's reaction.

ngilop
2013-08-04, 08:44 PM
Champions
Godlike
Rolemaster
Dragonquest (pretty sure this was the first skill based fantasy RPG, but I could be wrong)
Runequest

those are teh 5 thats ive alwasy wanted to play but have neither the books nor know anybody who plays them.

but to digress isnlt dogs in teh vineyard abotu being mormon.. exactly how does that even play out?

kidnicky
2013-08-04, 09:51 PM
1. Paranoia
2. Earthdawn
3. Changeling
4. Battle Tech (or any mech game)
5. Anything super hero's (run plenty of super hero games, never been a player)
I have never "played" any RPG. I've been playing on and off for like 10 years, but I don't think I've ever not been DM/GM/what have you. Nobody I know/have known could ever be assed to do it. Some don't understand the rules enough, some just don't wanna bother.

kidnicky
2013-08-04, 09:53 PM
Yes, I am most certainly talking about HeroQuest the RPG, not HeroQuest the board game. I actually keep forgetting about the latter, despite the fact that I've played it myself, and also keep forgetting that a casual Google search only brings up the board game. :smallannoyed:

Thank you for the clarification! And I actually did not know that the HeroQuest board game was based on Warhammer, either. Something new learned, it seems. :smallwink:

Should be obvious by now I was referring to the board game, never knew there was an RPG. I also never knew the board game was based on Warhammer.

The Bearded One
2013-08-04, 10:06 PM
Let's see if I can limit the list to just 5...

1) Sorcerer
2) Exalted
3) Mouseguard RPG
4) Pathfinder (aka D&D 3.75)
5) Legend of the 5 Rings (L5R)

For all of these (except #2), the problem is that no one was willing to GM the game. If someone was willing to run it, I'd certainly hop on board and play.

With Exalted, there was a game starting up at a time when my college RPG club had gotten too large for a single game to accommodate all the prospective players. Thus, while half the group was making characters and starting to play Exalted, I was helping people to make characters and then running them in an In Nomine adventure.

Jay R
2013-08-04, 11:36 PM
Of the many games I haven't played, how could I pick the top five? To rate them fairly, I'd have to have played them.

Kaun
2013-08-04, 11:39 PM
Of the many games I haven't played, how could I pick the top five? To rate them fairly, I'd have to have played them.

I took it as top 5 games that you haven't played that you want too. Where the rating is to depict how much you wish to play them rather then the quality of the game.

Totally Guy
2013-08-05, 04:58 AM
but to digress isnlt dogs in teh vineyard abotu being mormon.. exactly how does that even play out?

Dogs in the Vineyard is about being religious watchdogs to protect the faithful people of the old west from their sins.

It looks like a "how far will you go for your belief" type of game where the players have to choose what is acceptable to lose and when violence and murder is for the greater good.

I'd love to give it a go.

I took it as top 5 games that you haven't played that you want too. Where the rating is to depict how much you wish to play them rather then the quality of the game.

Pretty much. Sometimes you read stuff and you are totally pumped to play or run it.

EccentricCircle
2013-08-05, 05:51 AM
Hmm...

1) Paranoia
2) Continuum
3) Edge of the Empire
4) Iron Kingdoms
5) Dark Sun

Its nice to see that lots of people have spelljammer on their lists. I didn't know it was that popular, but is definitely awesome.

Lord Raziere
2013-08-05, 07:33 AM
hhhhmmmmmm……..

I guess you could say it used to be:

1. Exalted
2. Nobilis
3. Anima Beyond Fantasy
4. Eclipse Phase
5. Mage: The Awakening

but now its more like:

1. Shadowrun
2. Eclipse Phase
3. Eberron
4. Final Fantasy D20
5. Nobilis

mostly because I got so tired of Exalted's heavy-handed pretentiousness that I lost interest in it, along with many other White wolf games, all of them unplayed, and finally got into an Anima Beyond Fantasy game.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-05, 09:34 AM
For all of these (except #2), the problem is that no one was willing to GM the game. If someone was willing to run it, I'd certainly hop on board and play.

This is the main reason that I found myself running games; because nobody else was interested enough in anything beyond D&D to run it. :smallfrown:

Knaight
2013-08-05, 12:48 PM
1) Chronica Feudalis*
2) Qin: The Warring States
3) Dread
4) InSpectres
5) REIGN

Terra Incognita could also be in here, possibly in spot 4 or 5.

*I've seen every mechanic in this in other games, and can see just how brilliant a game this is, but I've never actually gotten to play it.

Eonas
2013-08-07, 12:39 AM
1. Donjon [One of the best beer and pretzels games you'll ever find. It's crazy fun.]
2. Dungeons: The Dragoning [I don't even know why, but this game just reeks 'awesome']
3. Anything by Zak Arntson [Minimalistic arty indie game designer. Lots of fun too.]
4. FUDGE [The most customizable RPG system since... since... well, since the games we used to play as young kids]
5. Nanolite D6 [Not exactly an utterly revolutionary system, but it's super simple and light.]

RustyArmor
2013-08-07, 12:58 AM
Not sure if its funny or sad I have played at least half of these. Granted some of them like once and others we barely made it one session.

BWR
2013-08-07, 02:45 AM
Dogs in the Vineyard is about being religious watchdogs to protect the faithful people of the old west from their sins.

It looks like a "how far will you go for your belief" type of game where the players have to choose what is acceptable to lose and when violence and murder is for the greater good.

I'd love to give it a go.

I played it once when a friend of mine, who though a great guy and one of the best GMs I've come across suffers a lot from "indie RPG of the month", ran a session.

The setting was bland and the actual point of the game didn't really seem like anything new. I've had more engaging stories of belief in Planescape and done more dramatic and heartfelt/hurtful character choices in L5R.
I haven't read the book or done anything more than that one session, but it seemed like a game that tried to sell itself as awesome on one particular aspect of roleplaying that can easily, and often does, show up in other games, usually ones with better settings.

XenoGeno
2013-08-07, 11:19 AM
1) Mechamorphosis
2) Promethean: the Created
3) TOON
4) GURPS
5) Nobilis

I have books for all of these except TOON, but can't get anyone to play. I did get to play a single session of Nobilis, but not too much happened; not enough to figure out if I genuinely liked the game or not.

As an honorable mention, I'm somewhat curious about Apocalypse World. Some friends of mine are totally in love with the core system and the various spin-offs; the only one I've played, Monsterhearts, I found utterly atrocious mechanically (in a "rules are way too vague" sense). Can anyone tell me if the basic AW is notably clearer, or would I likely hate it too?

Amphetryon
2013-08-07, 01:09 PM
1) Nobilis
2) Ars Magica
3) Something Luke Crane
4) Rogue Trader (made a Character once; GM flaked)
5) ACKS

Subbuteo
2013-08-07, 06:57 PM
1. GURPS
2. Vampire: the Requiem
3. Deadlands
4. 7th Sea
5. Cyberpunk

Draz74
2013-08-07, 07:38 PM
The Mistborn Adventure Game
Mutants & Masterminds
Leverage
Mouse Guard
something based on FATE Core

Surprised no one else has Mistborn on their list.

kidnicky
2013-08-07, 10:06 PM
I thought of 2 more:
Cartoon Action Hour, because I forgot I've only read the book a hundred times and never actually played it.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness, because I used to read the old B&W comics as a kid and would see the ad and wondered what it was. I was like 7 and had no idea what an RPG was at all.

ArqArturo
2013-08-07, 10:13 PM
1.- Rifts
2.- D20 Modern (not in a long time, though)
3.- Vampire The Masquerade/Requiem
4.- GURPS
5.- Mage The Awakening/Ascention

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-09, 10:56 AM
In case anybody was wondering, here's (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar_SGfRUV7YPdFdzVnZxeGdyYk9scHlmRHJMR24ya VE&usp=sharing) a spreadsheet of what everybody wants to play.

In only two pages, we've come up with 108 different systems or settings that we want to buy haven't gotten to play. I haven't even heard of half of these games! Wherever possible, I bunched together games under a single category and put personal preferences with the individual; this is most obvious with World of Darkness, as the 17 people almost all have preferences for certain sub-systems.

And here's a list of games that have enough people wanting to play them to run a game (4 people is what I used as a guideline):

World of Darkness (4 full games!)
Shadowrun
Deadlands
GURPS
Nobilis
Eclipse Phase
Exalted
Dark Heresy
D&D... sort of. Setting/system preferences are too diverse.
Fight!
Paranoia
Mutants and Masterminds

So yeah, there you have it...

Totally Guy
2013-08-09, 01:00 PM
Wow! Good going dude!

Knaight
2013-08-09, 01:20 PM
And here's a list of games that have enough people wanting to play them to run a game (4 people is what I used as a guideline):

Shadowrun
Deadlands
GURPS
Nobilis
Eclipse Phase
Exalted
Dark Heresy
Fight!
Paranoia
Mutants and Masterminds

So yeah, there you have it...

It's more than those, given that these are only the top four. Of those on the list, I know full well I never mentioned Paranoia or Nobilis, and would be more than willing to try both.

Lord Raziere
2013-08-09, 01:29 PM
oh cool, there are enough players for both Eclipse Phase and Shadowrun.

I've got an idea for my Shadowrun one, but I'll have to start thinking about my Eclipse Phase one.

BWR
2013-08-09, 02:54 PM
1. Nobilis
2. Tribe 8
3. Spelljammer
4. Dark Sun
5. Engel

Somehow Tekumel (any variant) totally slipped my mind. :smallfrown:

1. Nobilis
2. Tekumel
3. Spelljammer
4. Dark Sun
5. Tribe 8

the OOD
2013-08-09, 02:55 PM
1)dark heresy
2)paranoia
3)a nameless and beautifully-crafted rouge game that I cant remember where I found:smallconfused:
4)dungeons the dragoning(not a typo) in a firefly setting
5)a (homemade?) matrix game

I don't think my group could handle paranoia... but that makes me want to try it all the more!:smallbiggrin:

Grinner
2013-08-09, 04:18 PM
oh cool, there are enough players for both Eclipse Phase and Shadowrun.

I've got an idea for my Shadowrun one, but I'll have to start thinking about my Eclipse Phase one.

It's not hard to find players for an Eclipse Phase PbP. Actually running it, on the other hand...

5)a (homemade?) matrix game

I think there's one for Wushu.

Vknight
2013-08-09, 04:21 PM
1) Anima: Beyond Fantasy
2) A non-shot of Eclipse Phase
3) Fallout Tabletop RPG
4) GURPS
5) Dogs in the Vineyard

Fighter1000
2013-08-09, 11:32 PM
Most of these I have merely heard of, and not read through, but they still seem somewhat interesting to me:
1) GURPS
2) Dungeons and Dragons Next
3) Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
4) Star Wars
5) Mutants and Masterminds

rorikdude12
2013-08-10, 03:11 AM
1. FATE Core
2. Any WoD game
3. Mutant Future
4. Mongoose Traveller
5. RIFTS

Amphetryon
2013-08-10, 07:48 AM
In case anybody was wondering, here's (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar_SGfRUV7YPdFdzVnZxeGdyYk9scHlmRHJMR24ya VE&usp=sharing) a spreadsheet of what everybody wants to play.

In only two pages, we've come up with 108 different systems or settings that we want to buy haven't gotten to play. I haven't even heard of half of these games! Wherever possible, I bunched together games under a single category and put personal preferences with the individual; this is most obvious with World of Darkness, as the 17 people almost all have preferences for certain sub-systems.

Shadowrun
Deadlands
GURPS
Nobilis
Eclipse Phase
Exalted
Dark Heresy
Fight!
Paranoia
Mutants and Masterminds

So yeah, there you have it...So, what you're saying is we have to find another willing Mouse Guard player. . . . :smalltongue:

Actana
2013-08-10, 08:44 AM
Personally my five are, in no particular order:

The Riddle of Steel
Mouse Guard
Dread
Burning Wheel
Phoenix Command

I play pretty much exclusively online, so some systems just aren't feasible, like Riddle of Steel, since they rely on simultaneous decisions and rolling, and Dread, since you can't really play Jenga online. Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard are games I've more or less tried to learn, with varying success (not having a game to play it in, or interested players doesn't really help motivating to learn a complicated system). Phoenix Command, on the other hand, is there just so I could experience what the system is like. It seems ridiculously complex, and I want to see it in play.

Honorable mentions go to Fiasco, Stalker and Maid (though I did play a single game of Maid once. It was kinda weird to put it lightly.)

Amphetryon
2013-08-10, 09:23 AM
Personally my five are, in no particular order:

The Riddle of Steel
Mouse Guard
Dread
Burning Wheel
Phoenix Command

I play pretty much exclusively online, so some systems just aren't feasible, like Riddle of Steel, since they rely on simultaneous decisions and rolling, and Dread, since you can't really play Jenga online. Burning Wheel and Mouse Guard are games I've more or less tried to learn, with varying success (not having a game to play it in, or interested players doesn't really help motivating to learn a complicated system). Phoenix Command, on the other hand, is there just so I could experience what the system is like. It seems ridiculously complex, and I want to see it in play.

Honorable mentions go to Fiasco, Stalker and Maid (though I did play a single game of Maid once. It was kinda weird to put it lightly.)
Hooray, another interested in Mouse Guard (and Burning Wheel).

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-10, 09:27 AM
It's more than those, given that these are only the top four. Of those on the list, I know full well I never mentioned Paranoia or Nobilis, and would be more than willing to try both.

Of course, I had to go off of what people listed. I'm not adverse to people giving me more than 5 games, especially since I put myself down for around 15 :smallwink:

Most of these I have merely heard of, and not read through, but they still seem somewhat interesting to me:
1) GURPS
2) Dungeons and Dragons Next
3) Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
4) Star Wars
5) Mutants and Masterminds

Which Star Wars game? Edge of the Empire is different from Saga is different from d6.

So, what you're saying is we have to find another willing Mouse Guard player. . . . :smalltongue:

If you're looking for games that only have 3 people who have expressed interest, you also get:

Dogs in the Vineyard
Spelljammer (I think that's a setting though?)
Anime: Beyond Fantasy
Legend of the Five Rings

So Mouse Guard isn't exactly the only game in that situation!

Should I take that as a request to be put on the list as interested in Mouse Guard?

Eldan
2013-08-10, 09:42 AM
Well, to be fair. There's a ton of other games I'm also interested in. I just named a few of the first ones that came to mind.

raven25
2013-08-10, 09:43 AM
i mis conspiracy X

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-10, 09:57 AM
Well, to be fair. There's a ton of other games I'm also interested in. I just named a few of the first ones that came to mind.

If you tell me, I'll add 'em. I fully intend on keeping that list up to date for as long as people keep updating this thread... though I may switch formats at some point, because spreadsheets aren't as practical as I thought they'd be.

Amphetryon
2013-08-10, 10:05 AM
Of course, I had to go off of what people listed. I'm not adverse to people giving me more than 5 games, especially since I put myself down for around 15 :smallwink:

Which Star Wars game? Edge of the Empire is different from Saga is different from d6.

If you're looking for games that only have 3 people who have expressed interest, you also get:

Dogs in the Vineyard
Spelljammer (I think that's a setting though?)
Anime: Beyond Fantasy
Legend of the Five Rings

So Mouse Guard isn't exactly the only game in that situation!

Should I take that as a request to be put on the list as interested in Mouse Guard?
My understanding - perhaps erroneous - is that Mouse Guard and Burning Wheel were both included in my "something Luke Crane" answer.

Eldan
2013-08-10, 10:20 AM
If you tell me, I'll add 'em. I fully intend on keeping that list up to date for as long as people keep updating this thread... though I may switch formats at some point, because spreadsheets aren't as practical as I thought they'd be.

We were asked for top five. But okay, let's see. From the list, other than what I already said:

Dogs in the Vinyard
Spirit of the Century
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Deadlands
Little Fears
Scion
Call of Cthulhu
In Nomine
Dresden Files
Ars Magica
Rogue Trader
Paranoia
Earthdawn
Legend of the Five Rings
Qin: the Warring states
Weapons of the Gods
Don't Rest Your Head
Trail of Cthulhu
Monsters and Other Childish Things
Grimm
Mouse Guard
Continuum
Iron Kingdom
InSpectres
Traveller

Those are all games I've heard of or read, thought they sounded good, but have never played.

By the way, you seem to have Ars Magica twice, once spelled Aris Magica. Unless that's a different game.

Zazax
2013-08-10, 11:26 PM
(though I did play a single game of Maid once. It was kinda weird to put it lightly.)
I already mentioned my five, but I just thought I'd toss out that despite having never actually read over the rules for it, I'm actually kind of interested in this one just because I'm quite morbidly curious about how bizarre it can get.
It'd probably by my #6.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-10, 11:39 PM
My understanding - perhaps erroneous - is that Mouse Guard and Burning Wheel were both included in my "something Luke Crane" answer.

"Something Luke Crane" was too vague for me, and I simply ignored it rather than look up a list of games he'd developed like I should have. My bad.

We were asked for top five.

Yes, but threads evolve and I, personally, don't have any reason to limit people to their top five games.

By the way, you seem to have Ars Magica twice, once spelled Aris Magica. Unless that's a different game.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were another game with a similar name, but that WAS indeed a typo. I'll fix it tomorrow when I update the list again.

erikun
2013-08-11, 09:29 AM
Hooray, another interested in Mouse Guard (and Burning Wheel).

You can put me down for interested in Mouse Guard as well, but not at the moment. I'm currently starting up a new game myself, so am understandably busy at the moment.

Jay R
2013-08-11, 10:48 AM
I know I'm not staying within the category, but this is actually the top 5. They just don't all exactly fit the description given.

Games I’ve DMed but want to play:
1. TOON
2. Pendragon

Games I’ve played once and want to play more:
3. Fantasy Hero
4. Kobolds Ate My Baby

Games I’ve never played but want to:
5. Bunnies and Burrows

Vknight
2013-08-11, 01:26 PM
Has no one else showed interest in Eclipse Phase(I've run a one-shot but want a to do a campaign)

also has anyone else said

Monsters & Other Childish Things besides Eldan?

The Dark Fiddler
2013-08-11, 05:31 PM
Has no one else showed interest in Eclipse Phase(I've run a one-shot but want a to do a campaign)

also has anyone else said

Monsters & Other Childish Things besides Eldan?

Have they? (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar_SGfRUV7YPdFdzVnZxeGdyYk9scHlmRHJMR24ya VE&usp=sharing)

Four other people and one other person respectively.

Spockears
2013-08-12, 03:18 PM
I know I'm late to the party, but here we go.

1) Paranoia

2) Skyrealms of Jorune

3) Dragon Warriors

4) Judge Dredd

5) Hawkmoon

I have owned all of these games at some point, but could never prize my group away from AD&D and Call of Cthulhu (and yes, that makes me of a certain age :smallwink: ).

Vknight
2013-08-12, 04:24 PM
Have they? (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar_SGfRUV7YPdFdzVnZxeGdyYk9scHlmRHJMR24ya VE&usp=sharing)

Four other people and one other person respectively.

I am running a Monsters game.
Had 2 different recruitment threads up for 2 different Monster games

Keeping in mind both of these are call games using Skype.
Anyways those interested in playing monsters contact me depending on things one of the two above campaigns may be ending. And the other is pretty full. Though maybe the group would want others. The group is 9 people. 5 of who regularly attend. 2 of which have not attended for months(after enough time has passed I will remove them). 1 of who has had trouble attending because of scheduling. The ninth person is me the GM

Also so want to edit that with the specific conditions for me, myself,and I.
Those being only Skype games. Or other similar talky things cause just no, no, no to play by post

Totally Guy
2013-08-13, 10:31 AM
Playing Dungeon World tonight. :smallsmile: So I'll be able to take that one off of my list.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-13, 10:37 AM
Oooooh, this thread is turning into a sweet resource! I'll keep an eye on it in case my schedule opens for gaming.

Vknight
2013-08-14, 03:45 PM
For those interested in Eclipse Phase
I'm working on several different one-shots.

Some with pre-gens

Totally Guy
2013-08-15, 04:42 AM
I was reading Kingdom by Ben Robbins last night. He'd sent out a Kickstarter backer PDF. That game is going on my list!

Raineh Daze
2013-08-15, 05:03 AM
Maid
Continuum
Exalted
Demon: the Fallen (Always found this one fascinating)
Promethean: the Created (Woo, frankenstein's monster. XD)

Lorsa
2013-08-15, 05:14 AM
I'm not sure I have any top five unplayed games. I tend to play the games I want and unless I get bored of those I don't really have time / energy to lurk and lust over other games. Unless we are specifically talking about games I have GM'ed but never played but would like to play because that I might have a list for...

For those interested in Eclipse Phase
I'm working on several different one-shots.

Some with pre-gens

EP is a very interesting setting, I am enjoying it quite a lot at the moment. Unfortunately it suffers from some minor first edition issues, so if they decide to do a revamp it will be amazing.

Vknight
2013-08-15, 01:10 PM
I do not know what those 1st edition issues would be.

erikun
2013-08-15, 01:22 PM
He's probably referring to problems you typically see with the first edition of a new system. Stuff like misaligned type or misnumbered pages, misspellings and typos, rule conflicts, terms not clarified, unclear descriptions of terms, missing information, things and situations overlooked, awkward character creation or skill use, and that sort of thing. The stuff that should be cleared up and rather easily patched during a second revision.

Grinner
2013-08-15, 01:36 PM
I do not know what those 1st edition issues would be.

Probably the forty-nine different skills, absurdly convoluted character creation (though the recently released player's guide provides a couple of simpler systems for that), and intricate combat system.

Plus, mesh hacking is difficult to portray well.

Maybe the FATE Core conversion guide will fix some of that, though.

Vknight
2013-08-15, 02:37 PM
Probably the forty-nine different skills, absurdly convoluted character creation (though the recently released player's guide provides a couple of simpler systems for that), and intricate combat system.

Plus, mesh hacking is difficult to portray well.

Maybe the FATE Core conversion guide will fix some of that, though.

You mean the 49 Skills that work pretty well with little overlap?
The 1000 point buy? It's not convoluted, it's just people have issues with math. It is really easy and if you can't handle it you can use the alternate systems in Transhuman. No seriously its just some math heck 700 of those points have to go too skills which makes it even easier. And its a 1 to 1 ratio for buying up skills until they hit 60 when it then becomes 2 to 1.

? Combat ?
Top of the Initiative Order goes first, go down to lowest, repeat with people who act on Speed 2. Rolling doubles is a critical success/failure. It acts like Black Jack so you want to roll closer to your max.

?
The hacking is hard to portray? Hacking in general is hard to portray but in EP I've found it's much easier.

Hmm situation not covered. Misprint they have not corrected and put out errata for. Hard to understand terms hmmmm. Nope couldn't find any

Grinner
2013-08-15, 04:06 PM
You mean the 49 Skills that work pretty well with little overlap?

Emphasis on forty-nine. Going by the GNS theory (which I've found to work quite well for classifying games), this is most certainly a simulationist game. It is just a difference in taste, but see below.

The 1000 point buy? It's not convoluted, it's just people have issues with math. It is really easy and if you can't handle it you can use the alternate systems in Transhuman. No seriously its just some math heck 700 of those points have to go too skills which makes it even easier. And its a 1 to 1 ratio for buying up skills until they hit 60 when it then becomes 2 to 1.

When a game begins to resemble an accounting textbook, it's generally going to lose some appeal. Some may enjoy pushing numbers around, but personally, I see that as a waste of time.

? Combat ?
Top of the Initiative Order goes first, go down to lowest, repeat with people who act on Speed 2. Rolling doubles is a critical success/failure. It acts like Black Jack so you want to roll closer to your max.

You forgot the eight step process for resolving a single attack. That's forty-eight steps for a single round of combat involving just six characters, assuming none of them have increased Speed.

Hmm situation not covered.

There's one I can think of. Why can't Psi be a morph trait?

Also, it'd be nice if they went through skill usages a little more thoroughly. I realize that seems impractical, but if they're going to document everything else so thoroughly, they might as well go all the way.

Gnoman
2013-08-15, 04:28 PM
Or other similar talky things cause just no, no, no to play by post

Don't forget about Virtual tabletops. They're not voice, but are much better than PbP.

Vknight
2013-08-15, 04:30 PM
And simulations is a taste difference does not make the game bad.

It does not resemble an accounting book watch
I realize my character wants 13 Skills.
Of those 400 points I realize 6 are primary and the other 7 are secondary.
240 points go to those 6 skills. So 40 points for each
160 go to the other 7 skills. So 20 points for each(and 20 left over to divide as I see fit)

1) Roll Attack
2) Other Guy rolls Fray if he rolled better or crit he dodges
3) Apply Armor Penetration
4) Roll Damage subtracting and armor left after penetration
5) Inflict damage & wounds if applicable
5-Steps, And on a crit you can skip step 3. And at step 2 it can end their.

:annoyed::sigh:
Oh I don't know its not like its an Exsurgent Virus which infects ones Ego aka your mind. OH wait it is!
The PSI trait follows with your mind cause that is were it is
So 1 paragraph for each skill is not enough? Along with specializations for each skill?

Don't forget about Virtual tabletops. They're not voice, but are much better than PbP.

And this is true

Grinner
2013-08-15, 04:51 PM
I'm sensing a lot of hostility. What have I done to offend you?

It does not resemble an accounting book watch
I realize my character wants 13 Skills.
Of those 400 points I realize 6 are primary and the other 7 are secondary.
240 points go to those 6 skills. So 40 points for each
160 go to the other 7 skills. So 20 points for each(and 20 left over to divide as I see fit)

Why would you put just 20 points into a single skill?

1) Roll Attack
2) Other Guy rolls Fray if he rolled better or crit he dodges
3) Apply Armor Penetration
4) Roll Damage subtracting and armor left after penetration
5) Inflict damage & wounds if applicable
5-Steps, And on a crit you can skip step 3. And at step 2 it can end their.

Step 1: Declare Attack
Step 2: Declare Defense
Step 3: Apply Modifiers
Step 4: Make the Opposed Test
Step 5: Determine the Outcome
Step 6: Modify Armor
Step 7: Determine Damage
Step 8: Determine Wounds

:annoyed::sigh:
Oh I don't know its not like its an Exsurgent Virus which infects ones Ego aka your mind. OH wait it is!
The PSI trait follows with your mind cause that is were it is

Have you ever wondered why asyncs can't use their sleights with synthetic morphs?

So 1 paragraph for each skill is not enough? Along with specializations for each skill?

I'm thinking something like World of Darkness.

Arbane
2013-08-15, 05:17 PM
1. Legend of the Wulin
2. FATE
3. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
4. Mouse Guard
5. Dungeons: The Dragoning

All games I own but haven't gotten to play.

erikun
2013-08-15, 06:03 PM
There's one I can think of. Why can't Psi be a morph trait?
How could Psi be a morph trait? Psi is an aspect of the brain pattern, a repatterning of the neural network after the effects of a virus. Are you planning on attempting neurosurgery on an uninhabited morph to replicate the changes made by the virus - changes which are largely unknown, and which are different for each person - and then force an upload while preventing the upload from completing properly in those sections of the brain that you have modified?

And you expect this to work properly? :smalltongue:

Have you ever wondered why asyncs can't use their sleights with synthetic morphs?
Because the async brain pattern requires organic matter to produce Psi abilities. This is why pods produce a penalty (the brain is mostly synthetic) and why Psi abilities don't work at all when uploaded to a synthetic morph or with a digital upload.

For game mechanics purposes, the reason is no doubt to avoid players from generating dozens of alpha slices on a laptop, and having them all use Psi slights each round. That's rather irrelevant for an in-universe explanation, though.

Arbane
2013-08-15, 06:12 PM
Um... guys, why not make a new thread to argue over Eclipse Phase?

Grinner
2013-08-15, 06:42 PM
How could Psi be a morph trait? Psi is an aspect of the brain pattern, a repatterning of the neural network after the effects of a virus. Are you planning on attempting neurosurgery on an uninhabited morph to replicate the changes made by the virus - changes which are largely unknown, and which are different for each person - and then force an upload while preventing the upload from completing properly in those sections of the brain that you have modified?

And you expect this to work properly? :smalltongue:

Actually, I had been thinking that simply introducing the Watts-McLeod strain of the exsurgent nanovirus would do the trick.

My point was that biomorphs must undergo some kind of physical change after exposure. No one appears to naturally have sleights available, though perhaps they're unlocked somehow. Additionally, Egos don't appear to be cognitively affected by being jammed into a foreign brain, unless such things are designed.

But going this far pokes at the deep, dark, and altogether icky issues locked away at the bottom of Eclipse Phase's heart: How does the mind-body dichotomy actually work? What exactly is resleeving, particularly where biomorphs are concerned?

Because the async brain pattern requires organic matter to produce Psi abilities. This is why pods produce a penalty (the brain is mostly synthetic) and why Psi abilities don't work at all when uploaded to a synthetic morph or with a digital upload.

Okay. So what's so special about organic matter?

Lord Raziere
2013-08-15, 06:55 PM
Okay. So what's so special about organic matter?

because psi abilities are pretty much biological hacking/programming, and we already have such things for synthetics in the form of….normal hacking and programming.

so, there would be no point to introducing psi to synthetics. because hacking/programing and psi pretty much do the same thing, but to different matter.

Grinner
2013-08-15, 07:02 PM
because psi abilities are pretty much biological hacking/programming, and we already have such things for synthetics in the form of….normal hacking and programming.

so, there would be no point to introducing psi to synthetics. because hacking/programing and psi pretty much do the same thing, but to different matter.

Will you quit your extradiegetic reasoning!? This is a proper fan argument, not some crass debate of game mechanics.

erikun
2013-08-15, 07:28 PM
New thread created to continue this discussion. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298120) I have to agree with Arbane, that while this is an interesting topic, we don't want to bog down the currently point of this thread with it. :smallsmile:

atomicpenguin
2013-08-18, 10:38 AM
1. Unknown Armies
2. World of Darkness
3. Deadlands: Hell on Earth
4. Necessary Evil
5. Burning Wheel

This is not necessarily the order I'd put them in. I'm just too lazy to resort it.

Laura Eternata
2013-08-18, 05:49 PM
1. Dresden Files
2. Burning Wheel
3. Riddle of Steel (yeah, right...)
4. Don't Rest Your Head
5. Cyberpunk 2013/20/Whichever I find at a flea market first

I actually own Dresden and Don't Rest Your Head, but my group is pretty lazy when it comes to learning new rulesets. They just want to stick to 3.5.

Jaycemonde
2013-08-18, 06:56 PM
1). The homebrew S.T.A.L.K.E.R. RPG because S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro.
2). Shadowrun (goes above Cyberpunk since it seems to have more mechanically-sound gameplay and the appeal could well last longer)
3). Cyberpunk: Style over Substance
4). Dark Crusade, because playing as a corrupted/abhuman Guardsman lady-turned-free trader is one of the coolest things I could possibly think of in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
5). Alternity -- I played once for about three hours when I was eleven years or so gone, and I've been dying to find somebody else who's even heard of "D&D in Space."

Chambers
2013-08-18, 09:12 PM
1) Amber Diceless
2) Burning Wheel/Mouseguard/Rangers of the North
3) Dungeon World
4) Spirit of the Century
5) Paranoia

I love playing D&D but I also love playing other game systems. Unfortunately there's not many people in my gaming circles that want to play non-D&D games that I'm interested in (someone is running a Shadowrun game but I'm meh on it and it conflicts with another gameday).

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-18, 10:02 PM
I love playing D&D but I also love playing other game systems. Unfortunately there's not many people in my gaming circles that want to play non-D&D games that I'm interested in (someone is running a Shadowrun game but I'm meh on it and it conflicts with another gameday).

I actually own Dresden and Don't Rest Your Head, but my group is pretty lazy when it comes to learning new rulesets. They just want to stick to 3.5.

I sympathize...I'm in a similar position. If I wanted to try out some of the games I've checked out--I'd have to run them.

kidnicky
2013-08-19, 12:03 AM
I used to love pouring over my ex-GF's Cyberpunk books, but I have no idea what play would actually be like in practice. I can't even imagine running a campaign.

Actana
2013-08-19, 04:03 AM
I used to love pouring over my ex-GF's Cyberpunk books, but I have no idea what play would actually be like in practice. I can't even imagine running a campaign.

Generally speaking, Cyberpunk's mechanics are very messy. They're ridiculously easy to break, and often make very little sense. They are improved significantly with Listen Up, You Primitive Screwheads, or so I've heard at least (I don't own the book). The class-based-but-not-class-based system is a bit weird (though it makes sense), and Solos win every fight they're in.

There's the Cyberpunk v.3 system which is a bit more elegant and makes the system a bit neater, but the setting in it is pure kibble. The system is just pure yuck. Transformers and sharkmen and otaku mecha pilots living in theme parks :smallyuk: The setting is many things, but it most certainly isn't cyberpunk.

I've played and ran my fair share of CP2020, but my main problem with it is that I just can't get the atmosphere right. I don't do dystopic settings too well.

I'd like to toss in Torchbearer as a game I'd like to try. I forgot about it earlier. I don't really do PbP gaming (preferring MapTool), so I doubt I'd be much use when it comes to finding players, unfortunately.

Felhammer
2013-08-19, 04:49 AM
1. Shadowrun
2. GURPS
3. OD&D
4. World of Darkness
5. Numenera

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-08-19, 09:07 AM
This is really interesting; I'm surprised to see World of Darkness popping up as much as it is. I'd expect more people to have played it.

erikun
2013-08-19, 10:31 AM
For me, it's been that most RPG groups I'm in have been interested in the swords & sorcery setting and running around killing monsters. That doesn't work very well for the WoD system, and the fact that I tend to travel a lot and join different groups hasn't allowed me to be familiar enough with them to suggest a different system.