PDA

View Full Version : [Terrain] What happens when a psion eats his icecream too fast?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-13, 11:44 PM
Haze

http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/image_full/usa/photosvideos/photos/warmer-air-coming-off-the-ocea.jpg

Haze appears as the lightest of fogs, only slightly blurring the area around it. The icey ground below it has formed strange shapes and their seems to be an underlying pattern to the frost.
Haze is an extremely rare phenomenon in arctic climes where the ice crystals upon the ground, through sheer chance or the influence of strong minds, arrange themselves into a mind-like matrix of great beauty. The power that is generated causes a weak telekinetic field that freezes the moisture in the area into the finest of ice crystals alike to those upon the ground. These crystals resonate with nearby creature's minds, particularly though with innate psionic abilities, freezing not just their bodies, but also numbing their thoughts. Those within hear whispers and eerie noises as the thoughts of those nearby are carried across the crystals. In fact, there is a 5% chance each round that those within the Haze have their thoughts broadcast to the others caught within as the Read Thoughts power. The haze normally rises some twenty feet above the ground.
Creatures who begin their turn within the haze must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1 per round of continuous contact, mind-affecting) or take 1d2 Intelligence damage and become "hazed" for 1d6 rounds. A creature who is hazed can not gain psionic focus or make Autohypnosis checks. After every 1d6 rounds they must make another save or lose another 1d2 Intelligence damage and become "hazed". Manifesting powers within the haze requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + power level).
Sighted creatures notice Haze and need not make any check to notice it. However, recognizing that the haze poses a threat requires a DC 25 Survival or Knowledge (psionic) check.

-=-=-=-=-

Inhabitants

Despite what one would think, Malasyneps (Frostburn, p. 142) are often found within areas of Haze, having adapted to its effects or having generated the haze itself. They particularly enjoy the helplessness of the mindless beings so that they might feast on their comatose forms.

magic8BALL
2006-12-14, 07:56 AM
I need to ask, becouse whenever I try to introduce somthing new, my players search their sheets for skills, often coming up empty ask asking similar questions:

...what about Knowlegd (Nature) or Knowledge (Geography)? (+5-10 to DC ish fair?)

...are there any tales of such a beautiful ice formation (what does my Bardic Knowledge do for me? I got...)

...anyone would think your running an artic based campaign...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-14, 09:06 AM
...what about Knowlegd (Nature) or Knowledge (Geography)? (+5-10 to DC ish fair?)
In the several pages of supernatural terrain mentioned in Frostburn it only mentioned Survival being the appropriate skill without mentioning knowledge in nature lore, so I didn't add it. However, if you did wish to allow it, use the same DC as the listed survival.

...are there any tales of such a beautiful ice formation (what does my Bardic Knowledge do for me? I got...)
This ice is said to whisper to those around what their comrades are thinking... this ice is so chill that even the mind seems to grow slow with cold... the patterns and voices will hypnotize you if you allow, making your thoughts wander and prance...

...anyone would think your running an artic based campaign...
I am, though I just tend to do alot of wintery themes in, y'know, winter.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-12-14, 07:55 PM
I'd say those let you recognize it's not natural, not what it actually is.

Bardic Knowledge only covers People, Places, and Things.

Very nice, Tribble. I've never been big on environmental hazards.

magic8BALL
2006-12-14, 09:39 PM
I am, though I just tend to do alot of wintery themes in, y'know, winter.

For some... I'm putting up with summer heat + zero moisture...