PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Horses?

Alokue
2013-08-02, 10:33 AM
I have a level five warlock in a level seven party (due to level adjustment), and she is scared of horses. We have a factotum (all lv 2 wiz/sorc spells), a cleric, and some other casters, along with an artificer. Is there any way for me to get moving quickly without riding an animal? I would rather not pay 450gp for someone in the town to cast overland flight, as my character only has like 500gp left rich, and 5% of WBL spent in one place role playing is kindof ridiculous anyway. Ideas?

subject42
2013-08-02, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get a sap for a few gold pieces. Give it to the factotum, close your eyes, and wake up wherever you need to be.

RFLS
2013-08-02, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get a sap for a few gold pieces. Give it to the factotum, close your eyes, and wake up wherever you need to be.

Helpful....

Is it horses in particular? You could use an ox-pulled wagon. Or...a dinosaur pulled wagon. Actually...yeah. I like that.

Segev
2013-08-02, 10:41 AM
For only 100 gp, you can buy a carriage. It can hold up to 4 people and two drivers, and while it's pulled (usually) by 2 horses, you needn't RIDE them yourself.

Alokue
2013-08-02, 10:41 AM
Oh, sorry I was misleading -- it's the fear of riding any animal, not the fear of the actual animal.

But my friends will probably be riding light horses as quick as they will go, so I was hoping to keep up.

Segev
2013-08-02, 10:42 AM
Carriage should still work. If the party has horses ANYWAY for all of them, the fact that it can carry 6 people with just two horses pulling will more than make up for its cost.

dysprosium
2013-08-02, 10:49 AM

Or you can steal from the 1980s:

BA: I ain't gettin on no plane Hannibal!
Hannibal: I know. Here drink this milk.
BA: OK I'll drink the milk but I'm still not gettin on no plane!
BA drinks milk and passes out.
A-Team arrives in episode destination.

Urpriest
2013-08-02, 10:54 AM
You could just ride a horse. You're an adventurer, you do things you're afraid of all the time. There are plenty of people in the world with a crippling fear of air travel, they still fly on planes when they have to.

TrollCapAmerica
2013-08-02, 10:55 AM
Or you can steal from the 1980s:

BA: I ain't gettin on no plane Hannibal!
Hannibal: I know. Here drink this milk.
BA: OK I'll drink the milk but I'm still not gettin on no plane!
BA drinks milk and passes out.

I was thinking the exact same thing :biggrin:

That really just made my day thank you

dysprosium
2013-08-02, 10:57 AM
No problem!

I can hardly pass up a chance to spread the goodness of the 80s when I can.

Starbuck_II
2013-08-02, 11:38 AM
Carriage should still work. If the party has horses ANYWAY for all of them, the fact that it can carry 6 people with just two horses pulling will more than make up for its cost.

Why not just hire people to move the carriage like in China they have those people drawn carriages (no horses needed).

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-02, 11:55 AM
A carriage or wagon is pulled at the speed of the creature pulling it. That means it will be pulled at the speed the mount moves on it's own.

subject42
2013-08-02, 12:01 PM

I'm glad somebody caught the reference.

To be a little more serious, a warlock should have a pretty high UMD score. Using some shenanigans with your artificer, you could probably get your shoes infused with Longstrider. That would get you in the neighborhood of the horses, at least.

If he's using the psionic variant, have him infuse skate and tie a rope to one of the other horses.

Alokue
2013-08-02, 12:35 PM
A carriage or wagon is pulled at the speed of the creature pulling it. That means it will be pulled at the speed the mount moves on it's own.

Is this true of the D&D rules? That's silly. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

KillianHawkeye
2013-08-02, 04:53 PM
Is this true of the D&D rules? That's silly. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

That's actually not true. Carts and wagons (and, presumably, carriages) have a listed speed of 2 mph. That is one third the speed of a light horse and 40% the speed of a heavy horse.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-02, 08:52 PM
Warlock, y u no takes wiiiiings.

That aside aside, umd a wand of fly/overland flight and fly alongside the adventurers.

Slipperychicken
2013-08-02, 08:57 PM
Why not just hire people to move the carriage like in China they have those people drawn carriages (no horses needed).

Would a rickshaw trigger the fear of riding?

CRtwenty
2013-08-02, 08:59 PM
Get a Broom of Flying or something. I mean you're a Warlock, it makes sense. :smallwink: